An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Lies from family

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by CeciliaGiray, Jan 7, 2017.

1. CeciliaGiray

CeciliaGiray Member

i just left treatment a couple of days ago. While I was in treatment, my parents decided to get off all their chronic pain medicine for me. I was so happy but when I got home I could tell they were still taking my biggest DOC. The combination of anger and my addict took over and I relapsed. I'm not sure how to deal with this. Even after my meeting tonight I still was premeditating using. If it's there I can't control myself. Advice is welcome.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@CeciliaGiray... I'm sorry to hear that your parents weren't completely truthful with you. And I'm sorry that you relapsed. But please don't let your slip-up ruin what you've started. Just pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and get back on the recovery track again.

It can be very hard to come back to familiar surroundings after going to treatment. It can be even harder if those surroundings include meds that you had issues with. I'm wondering: Have you considered finding a sober living house to live in while you're in the early stages of recovery? The structure and community that come along with sober living can really help people transition from treatment back to "normal life." You may want to look into it.

As you get deeper into your recovery, the temptations will dissipate. But for now, if you can't control yourself when pain meds are around, you should find a better environment to be in. In the meantime, maybe ask your parents to lock their pain meds up in a safe or something. You can buy a decent safe at office supply stores for about $40 or $50. Just a thought.

We are here to help and support you however we can. Please reach out anytime you need someone to lean on.

Sending you positive, clean and sober vibes. And lots of hugs full of hope and encouragement.

Keep trying to do the next right thing.