An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Life Begins when You are Free

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by tasha, Aug 26, 2015.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

There are so many ways to change your life and your habits but if you are not free from the demons that put you there then you will never be free at all. You need to rid your life of the demons by either speaking out and finding a way to get help as you do not have to be embarrassed and all you need to know is that you can receive the help that you need.
    Speak out, get help and be free!!!
    deanokat likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@tasha... You are so right! There is no need to be embarrassed. There are so many people in the same situation, and by talking about it we help break the stigma associated with addiction and mental health issues. When we speak out, we eliminate the element of shame.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

you are so right talking about it not only helps you but it also could help others who are struggling too. You have to deal with your inner demons. There is no reason to be embarrassed or scared to seek help. Help will set you free!
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

Talking is therapy in a big way. Sharing an issue with another person makes it easier to bear as you will then have help dealing with it. It also helps to avoid depression when you share concerns with others. One should not hesitate to talk things out as everyone is dealing with something anyway.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

All of us had mistakes in our life that gives us lessons that will be our stepping stone to our success in our second chance to live. If it happened that we had been through on the wrong path of life do not lose hope and you can move on again with your life if you will believe in yourself that you can make it. Do not be ashamed to tell other people what you had gone through and learn to reach out to them because they will help to set you free to move on with your new life..
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    deanokat likes this.
  6. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I perfectly agree but sometimes getting free by our demons is the hardest thing that you can even imagine of doing. It's not that easy you have to fight and trying until you get it and never give up.
  7. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

That is so true. When you refrain from thinking about negative aspects of life or your old ways then you eventually start thinking of newer things that eventually help. I have to admit that it is not that easy to tune your mind to think of other positive things. It needs thorougher concentration and maybe the help of someone you trust.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am not dealing with an addiction but sometimes in life there are things in life that beat us up just as badly as an addiction or sometimes worse. There is a lot I can identify with here and I pray that I find the freedom I so desire.Thanks for this encouraging reminder Tasha. Thank you again.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Admitting that you have a problem and that you are willing to do whatever it takes to "fix" it will at the very least get you the support you need to get the success you crave. Addiction, since it is a disease, shouldn't embarrass anyone. The only way to get help when you need it is speak out.
  10. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I agree on the fact that addiction shouldn't be a valid reason to have shame of it. As Rainmain said it's a disease and for this it should be treated like any other disease.
  11. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

My thoughts exactly. One of favorite quotes is 'It is only when you lose everything that you have the freedom to do anything. The things you own, end up owning you'
    deanokat likes this.
  12. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Absolutely, this has always been my thinking. As long as we are slaves we are no longer in control of our lives, hence, no control automatically leads to not living according to the way we can or want to.
    deanokat likes this.