An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Life is a Gift!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JonnyMacdonald, Jul 15, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I think in our modern society we forgot how awesome it is just to be alive! Lots of people use to "escape reality" because our modern society is so focused on material success and it can be intimidating to many. I know when I was drinking I didn't realize how neat it is just to be alive. Now I thank God every day for my life.

What does the community think of this?
  2. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

You are so right. The moment we start to realize that our lives doesn't really belong to us and that it belongs to God, that is when we start seeing life as a gift and start seeing the beauty in it. We can then live a life of fulfillment and satisfaction. A life devoid of drug use or any form of addiction.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

You are right, Jonny! I think that everyone (ourselves included) sometimes take life for granted and don't take the time to be grateful for being alive.
    It's sad that some people have to "escape reality" in order to not collapse mentally.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Yes - I think in society we do put a lot of pressure on each other for a whole host of things - possessions, looks, status, jobs and how they are viewed in society - that we do just forget about the simple things, such as being alive. I think my mindset changed quite a bit about all that when I had my child. The miracle of her being born really made me look at my own life in a miraculous sense - that simple act of waking up every day is a gift in itself!
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Everyday is a gift that's why it is called the present.

There is a time when we have a lot of time on your hands and you stop to ponder about everything in your life and what matters the most. It can be sobriety or a near death experience. What ever the case may be, in the end we all need love to fulfill our lives. Without love and companionship life would be miserable.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Life is indeed a gift. I'm actually thankful to the Lord that I'm not disabled and I have my 5 senses intact. I have a disabled and autistic niece who can't talk, walk, eat, etc. unless someone assists him. He's 12 already but he still wears diapers and is in a wheelchair. And that's how it's gonna be until the end of his life. So just thinking of his plight makes me very grateful.
  7. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Beautiful words about life. It is indeed a gift which we had the privilege to receive. He has chosen to give us our life to take care of and treasure. Sometimes we get lost along the journeys we have to go through in our lifetime but He always finds a way to bring us back to where we were supposed to be.

At times we fall and harm ourselves, even the people we love but He always forgives us for all our misgivings and our sins. Most of us here might have fallen into the trap of addiction, but us finding each other in this community and inspiring each other to change for the better is His way of helping us help ourselves and others along the way.

Life is beautiful! Let's live our lives the way we ought to. :)
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Exactly. Everyday, we should be grateful that we have another day to live. As soon as we wake up in the morning, we have to be thankful for all the things that we have got. If you have a roof over your head, food on the table or in the fridge, a supportive family, reliable friends, and a job you love so much, then you should feel really blessed.