An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Limited College Campus Help.

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by hellonamesdana, Dec 29, 2014.

1. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I feel like if a student has a drug/alcohol problem while they are away from school (which so many college students are doing these days, especially at my college), there isn't a lot of resources for them to reach out to unfortunately. Becoming an alcoholic is sort of the norm in college now a days, as students are just shoving it off as "living the true college experience". But it's not, and it's getting out of hand.
    I know at my college, the only real option of getting any sort of help is with the school therapists, except they don't take emergency cases. It could take you weeks, just like with any other therapy office, to get an appointment, and they don't really help much except for talking it out.
    Do you have experience with colleges that have more or less resources for drug and alcohol abuse?
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I think this is definitely a problem. Many college students rely on the on campus health services and for addiction, they're sub-par at the three colleges I spent time at and I hear most other places except, oddly enough, for the highest ranking party schools. My best suggestion to college students is that they're adults now so they should go out into the wider community and seek off campus help.
    Joseph likes this.
  3. hellonamesdana

Now that I'm actually experiencing it first hand myself, I see how naive and unhelpful the on campus health resources are. First of all, it can take days for someone to receive any sort of help, whether it be drug related or self destructive related or a stomach bug. The only thing these doctors are ready to treat are the basics; stomach bug, cold/sinuses, unwanted pregnancies, and STD's. Other than that, you're screwed.
  4. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

5. juno

juno Community Champion

I can't recall if we had any drug and alcohol support system back in college. Perhaps not on campus, but if you go to school in a large enough city you probably can find a support system outside of school. I my opinion, it may be better to go off campus because that might be more private. As I recall my college days, gossip and drama was still very prevalent.
  6. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I really do believe that colleges can do a better job when it comes to knowledge of substance abuse. For a lot of people, this may be the first time they are exposed to a lot of the things that goes on (especially at parties). I think a lot of kids could benefit for at least a crash course of some sort.
  7. I think you are probably right. It does not seem like colleges do a lot to help. There does seem to be more education for students in high school and middle school. But in reality, college students need help as well to stay on a good path and avoid some of these addictive behaviors.
  8. hellonamesdana

I'm not sure if it works the same way in all other colleges, but I found out exactly how limited my school is on helping their students. Which sucks because I really don't want to transfer for the fourth time to yet another school, but this is actually really ridiculous how little help they give to their students, especially since there are so many kids at my school who are definitely alcoholics or at least on the path to becoming them.
    They only allow 10 visits to a counselor, like ever. Not per semester or per year, like the entire time you're there you're only allowed to see a therapist or counselor 10 times, plus emergency visits if you need it. It's ridiculous! Kids need more help than that!
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Colleges definitely need to be more prepared for these problems. Besides it being people's first time away from home, the stress of the course and getting good grades can also lead to drug/alcohol abuse. I read an article recently, describing how amphetamine use was increasing rapidly amongst college students. They appear to be using it in order to hold down a job as well as studying, as well as to stay up all night with their books.
  10. hellonamesdana

I don't think that adults really understand how tough college is for so many kids. First of all you have to deal with being on your own for the first time in your life, and having to actually take care of yourself and be completely responsible for yourself for the first time. Then there's dealing with roommates, making friends and all of the constant drama that is bound to come with that, and the pressure to be like everyone else and drink alcohol like a fish drinks water and do whatever the most popular drug is at the time. And on top of that you're doing 12.5 hours of classes on average a week, plus per every hour of class you have you're supposed to spend two hours studying, so that's approximately 36 hours a week or so just dedicated to school on average.