An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

List down what you're grateful for

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by angelicagapit, Jan 22, 2015.

1. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

One piece of advice I can give to anyone who wants to be persistent in staying clean and sober is to remember what you're thankful for.

You should be thankful for people in your life who only want the best for you and only want to help you. You should be thankful for God giving you another chance to set your life straight. You should be thankful for the people who will support you during your whole duration or recovery.

Always list down what you're grateful for to remind yourself how wonderful your life is already.
    stariie and blur92 like this.
  2. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

This is great advice. Remembering all the great opportunities and people you have in your life is motivating and uplifting. It shows you have something worth fighting for. Sometimes when something bad happens we tend to focus on only that. Specifically, we do so in the heat of the moment. Everything that is good slips from our minds. However, the more we list what we're grateful for, the more it sticks to memory and less likely to be forgotten in depressive moments.
    stariie likes this.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It is always beneficial to remember what we do have rather than dwelling on what we haven't got. It can be hard to see at times, but there's always a positive somewhere if you look hard enough.
    stariie likes this.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

In fact it would even be better to write down what you are grateful for and walk around with the list in your pocket. Anytime you feel depressed, whip out your list, read through it and you'll feel better knowing that there are others somewhere [in the world] who are in a situation that's probably worse than yours.
    stariie and notodrugs like this.
  5. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Or in addition to Rainman's suggestion, record yourself stating the things you're so grateful about. If you have the nerve or just a bit being playful, take a video of yourself too. :) When you're downtrodden, just listen or watch your audio/video. You'll feel so much better. It's a constant reminder of the positivity that you feel at those times. It will make you think that life is not so bad at all; that you've been to loads of good times.

I remember a friend who has posted a 365 days of gratefulness status on her Facebook. So each day, she posted one blessing she's grateful for, anything from simple to grand. And even I get perked up by her list when those aren't even my own. Imagine if it's you doing it. Heaven.
    Rainman and stariie like this.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Lots of great suggestions here. Often when I am having a difficult time and becoming anxious about a situation, I stop and remind myself of the things I ought to be grateful for. I have never put pen to paper with words of gratitude but I hear that's a good practice. I like to talk so recording myself might be good for me. As a parent I am trying to get my son in the habit of being grateful. Sometimes we forget and we shouldn't .

I saw the Facebook challenge calling on persons to detail the things they were grateful for. Unfortunately no one put the challenged to me. I would have had a lot to write about.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  7. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Gratitude is a beautiful thing. I read somewhere (something like) it turns what we have into enough, which is fabulous. There is an excerpt in a book that I read years ago, a woman talking about how she had moved into a house that was far from her dream house.
    Every night when the family went to bed, she'd sit up and cry about the house. Pretty soon, she got so tired of feeling miserable that she decided to start on a self-imposed attitude of gratitude program. In a little while, her life, and her house, changed for the better. I adore that story.

Being grateful shifts your focus, from what's wrong to what's right. Focusing on the good in our lives is always a good idea.
    Winterybella likes this.
  8. notodrugs

stariie likes this.
  9. stariie

I like this, the part about better words of gratitude than whining and ranting. That speaks volumes. It's like choosing between going to the mall with a friend who is always complaining, or going to the mall and spending the day with a friend who has a really positive upbeat attitude. Being around the friend with the up-beat attitude is going to make for a better, more pleasant day.

Although I don't like a fake syrupy-sweet type of attitude, I really like being around someone who can focus on the good rather than always talking about the bad. To them, not only is the glass half-empty, but the glass is dirty, it's also the wrong kind of glass, and it should have never been a glass in the first place, it should have been a plastic cup.
    notodrugs likes this.
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I couldn't agree more.A strong support structure is essential for any addict hoping to win the fight against addiction.Be they family or friends,we should be forever grateful for the time and effort they tirelessly dedicate to us for our well being.But most importantly,we owe it all to the ever loving God for his graciousness and his mercies for showing us the way amid all that confusion and chaotic lifestyle when under drugs.
    stariie likes this.
  11. notodrugs

Hi starrie. I suddenly remember myself last week trying to avoid a workmate who was so negative. Lol! I am being naughty here. But really, I was so tired that day and the last thing I wanted to hear was her rant on whatever or whoever it was that she didn't like that day. Every single day, she comes up with something or someone to criticize. Maybe, at other times, I'm on her list too. Lol!
    stariie likes this.
  12. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

You should be thankful to be here, being alive and well to be able to tell the tales of what happened and enabling others to use it as a learning experience. So many were in this position and did not make it as they were just not strong enough, or did not have a support system that kept pushing them to make a change. Giving thanks for all that added time that is there now to spend with loved ones. I find that I am grateful to the point where I am closer and more appreciative of the people around me. Let them know how you feel about them and their actions now, right now as tomorrow may be too late. Live and love.
  13. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

This is very good advice, and I've honestly never thought about doing this.
    The biggest thing I am thankful for is that I was born in a time and place where anything is possible. I could have easily been born in the 1800s, where I would be a shackled slave. I could've been born in the Middle East somewhere, where I would be married off at 8 years old, or sold into a child sex slave ring. You don't get to choose when or where you are born, so me being born in a time where so many diseases have been and are still being cured, a time where you can communicate with your friend who lives thousands of miles away with a simple phone call, and many other technological and social advances is amazing, as is me being born in America, the 7th most free country in the world.
    Thinking of this always motivates me. I have opportunities that my ancestors couldn't even dream of, and opportunities and rights that women who are just like me don't have. On my lap, I have a laptop that has the power to connect with millions of people and change the world. My possibilities are endless, so I always try to make the best of the tools given to me.
  14. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Gratitude is a great feeling, and a great tool for happiness for everyone! I'm grateful for the people I love standing by me and believing in me when I can't believe in myself; I'm thankful for them pushing me to jump over my fears and try to be the best of myself, and for them to be gracious about my failings even when they don't have to.

I'm also grateful for non-alcoholic beer for my partner, lol. XD Such a great invention.
    Winterybella likes this.
  15. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I am grateful for so many things that it's really is hard to list down. My family, my health, the sunrise every morning and the sunsets every night, having friends that support me in anything that I do, and many more things. The list really goes on and on.
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think people who don't take time to realize what blessings they have are the people who are most prone to self pity and that is one of the easier ways to drive yourself to extreme or unnecessary depression and dissatisfaction which almost always ultimately leads to unhealthy escapism. It's best to train your mind to focus on good thoughts rather than what's missing.
    stariie likes this.
  17. juno

juno Community Champion

When ever I start to feel down, I turn my thoughts around by doing this practice of making a list in my head about all the things I am grateful for. Sometimes we don't realize that so many of the little things matter so much. I'm grateful that I have a roof over my head, I have food to eat everyday with no lacking, and I have a beautiful child that is my sunshine, pride and joy.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

What you said may sound simple but it does strike chord. One compelling reason why some individuals are having a hard time recovering is that they always look inward and fail to see the support they receive. A number of substance abusers could not cross the border and complete the recovery process because they always dwell on the negative of things. Hence, it pays to be thankful. This train of thought should be incorporated to every rehab curriculum.
    stariie likes this.
  19. stariie

Lol, I don't think you're being naughty at all. One of my mother's favorite sayings is that self-preservation is the law of nature.
    And as far as at other times maybe you are on your workmates's list too, I'll refer to yet another on of my mother's sayings (referencing dogs, but referring to people who gossip),
    "If they'll bring a bone, they'll take a bone."
    I didn't understand my mom on this one for years, but now-a-days I totally get it.

I have "friends" who love to focus on what is not going right in their lives. I think that it is just the way that they were raised. Maybe their mom, dad or whoever raised them, complained a lot. It's a very tedious way to be.
    It is very interesting to me about people who focus so much on the faults of others.

It's like, when you're always so focused on other people, when do you ever have time to do any type of self-reflection, and therefore self-correction?
  20. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

Really great thread here. Sometimes its easy to forget how blessed we are. We get so caught up in what we don't have that we forget to take a moment to take stock of all the wonder people and things in our lives.