An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Little things that make you feel better.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by anorexorcist, Sep 12, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Sometimes we're too worried about our problems and overthinking everything that we don't let us have the time to think about the things that actually make us feel better. So I made a list that may apply for a lot of people.

- Cleaning your room/house: I personally feel so much better when my personal space is clean and organized, and the process of cleaning is really relaxing to me, it feels like if I was cleaning all the bad things that I went through the week, and to see how good it looks after cleaning is almost therapeutic for me.
    - Opening up the windows: Is amazing how some light and fresh air can make us feel better, you should try it!
    - Taking care of your personal hygiene: I think that this may apply for a lot of people, taking care of your hygiene in general can improve your confidence and make you feel better with yourself, and sometimes if can be incredibly relaxing, who don't love a good and warm bath after a long day at work/school?

What other thing would you like to add to this little list?
    stariie likes this.
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Haha, I needed this post right now. I’m actually getting ready to give the house a bit of a cleanup because I know I’ll feel better if I do. Like you said, it’s therapeutic and it tends to have a cleansing effect on the mind and rest of one’s life.

Some other things that usually work for me:
    • Exercise, even if it's low-impact. Getting more connected with my body and out of my head a bit is a wonderful thing.
    • Indulging in a creative hobby and not worrying so much about the outcome. Gets me in a different head space.
    • Setting an allotted amount of time to do something that’s seemingly useless, like gaming. Ultimately, I don’t find it useless because it gets me in yet another head space, which helps me unwind.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Hmm, one of the most beautiful things in my life is when I sit down with my puppies and appreciate the life I have right now. I fought a lot throughout both my childhood and early adulthood, only to make myself a better future and now I'm cherishing every moment of it. Everything comes true, just believe in it!
    stariie likes this.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I would also add rewarding oneself with a treat from time to time; whether a chocolate bar, a candy, or some other food that makes your taste happy.

Also devote sometime to be alone and let your mind blow away, focusing on what you want for the future, even if you know it's impoosible, or bringing back the sweetest memories in your life.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

The little things that make me feel better about myself are taking a little brisk walk since I know I will burn some calories and just eating my favorite foods and buying the stuff that I want.
  6. rapido

rapido Member

The little things that make me feel fulfilled are reading reading a nice fiction novel with a bag of popcorns by my side.It helps to unwind, get lost in the world of make-believe and takes off the pressures of daily hustle from my shoulders.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Simply waking up in the morning and feeling blessed that I am still breathing are already enough for me to be grateful. I also enjoy quality time with my family and friends during weekends. Reading books, watching movies, and travelling to different places give me so much pleasure as well. :)
    stariie likes this.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Nice list. :)
    I go out walking cause that somehow make me feel relieved a bit and it is also a form of exercise. Eating my favorite foods and taking care of the pets make me feel good too.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Ah, I agree with you 100% on the cleaning - for some reason that sense of organization and knowing where everything is just makes me feel less stressed about life in general. I feel like a cluttered house equals a cluttered mind! I'm always trying to go through my possessions on a regular basis and determine whether I still need things or not.
    stariie likes this.
  10. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

That’s exactly why I started finding cleaning to be so therapeutic. I also feel like if everything is scattered around my place, that’s a pretty good indication of where my head is. And I’m finding that while my needs have changed lately, my stuff… not so much. Thinking it may be time for another mega purge soon.
  11. Nomore141

Nomore141 Member

I totally love taking long walks in the woods or nature in general, I find there's nothing quite as soothing. Just listening to the sounds around and breathing in the fresh air are enough to squash any negativity out of my mind. I especially enjoy these walks on chilly mornings with the sun and a blue sky above :)
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've actually been selling some stuff I don't need anymore online - so not only am I decluttering but also making some cash - so that's also nice and helps with stress levels! Win-win!
  13. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

A clean home always makes me feel better too. My mom always used to say "cleanliness is next to Godliness " it always made me laugh when. She said that. I also love the smell of fresh clean laundry, it lifts my spirits when I am down. As long as everything around me smells clean, I am a happy person.
    stariie likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Looking after yourself and the things around you are the best ways to take your mind off your problems, but depending on how your state of mind is, it's hard to find the motivation sometimes.

One of the signs of depression is the lack of motivation to do even the simplest tasks, and while people know that doing certain things will help, they just can't find the energy or the willpower to do them.
    stariie likes this.
  15. stariie

stariie Community Champion

The smell of fresh clean laundry is fabulous, and the sight (and smell) of freshly laundered bed sheets hanging outside on a clothesline and blowing in the wind is a beautiful sight to behold.
  16. SamBo_LamBo

SamBo_LamBo Member

It's a bit on the cliche side, but smiling a bit more goes a long way. If you start being a bit more chipper in your outlook on life, it becomes more apparent and habitual in your every day life. I've been doing it for a little while, and it certainly has helped me get a bit more optimistic. It's the little things that go the longest distance.
  17. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Being optimistic helps. If you summon good vibes to come in your life, then they will. There is a term for this, but I do not remember exactly what it is called. The principle is that you have to invite good things to come into your life and focus your energy on that, and then the good things will happen.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Oh yeah all of this works. Eating well and exercise make you feel great. Completing things that you start, no matter what it is.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I feel better seeing cats and dogs on the streets, no matter what they're doing. Seeing little children giggling reminds me of my childhood and I find myself drawn to their innocence. Just laughing with family and friends over Internet jokes or some inside gossip really warms my heart. Reading a good book - ah, it makes me feel complete. So many little things out there that I do appreciate and wish people will appreciate more.