An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Live Everyday Like It's Your Last

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Jan 31, 2016.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

If you found out that today was your last day on Earth, would you be happy with the way you ha e spent your life? Would you do anything different today than you would do on any other day? What would you do? Who would you spend time with, if anyone?

Live every day as if it's your last day. Do so with a clear mind, drug and alcohol free, so that you can soak up the good things in your life, and the wonders of this world. Do not waste precious time being wasted.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think I'm happy with the way I've spent my life. My life is far from perfect but it's more than what I dreamed for. I had made mistakes, too many mistakes, but I won't ever change them because they are the reason I'm here today. I don't think this is my dream but this is what I need. A life of failures and mistakes to make me realise that life is not static, it's changing. Whatever happens, you will make it and you will be stronger.

I think I would choose to spend my last day on Earth with my son and my loved ones. My son is my number one reason of living and dreaming. I don't know what my life will be without him.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

That is a very thought provoking question. If today was my last day on earth I would want to spend it with my family. I would want to know that I had their forgiveness for the mistakes I made as a mother. I wasn't perfect, I did the best I knew how but I make some decisions that affected them and I have a lot of regret for. I would have a good heart to heart talk with my husband and tell him how I truly feel about his alcohol and drug addiction and how he needs to clean up his life before it's too late. I tell him those things now but I think he would look at it differently if it were my last day on earth.

I would not be happy with the way i lived my life. So much of it was wasted crying and feeling sad and lonely. Given a chance I would have changed so many things and did so many things differently. There are so many things I wanted to do in my life that I never had a chance to.

I would have so many regrets leaving this world but I would do my best on my last day to find peace with all of that.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When I hear the saying live everyday like it's your last, I have mixed opinions to be honest.

I agree that you should live your life as full as possible and never be afraid of trying new things. Everyday should be treated as a gift, but living everyday like it's your last could also make people become a little reckless and take risks they wouldn't usually.
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

If I found out that today is my last day here on earth I think I had no regrets because I had spent my life well loved by my whole family in good and bad times of my life. Of course there are times when I had commited mistakes but they are not there to judge me but instead had helped and supported me to move on and live a better life. That is why if today is my last day I still want to spend my remaining time with my family because they are my life.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't think that's the best thing to do in hindsight, but it does have some resemblance to real life. If I were to live my life like it was my last I would have to quit my job, use all my money to do some fun stuff I've never had the chance to and take some reckless risks. That won't be the best thing in the world if tomorrow I'll still be alive, would it?
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

If it's already my last day here on earth, I would love to spend my remaining hours with my family, friends, and of course, my boyfriend. I think I would split my 24 hours for them, 8 hours with my friends, another 8 hours with my family, and the last 8 hours with my boyfriend. If you're going to ask me if I have already accomplished everything in life, I would say no, not yet, but I am not really scared of dying, life is unpredictable and I have long accepted that.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I feel like my eyes were opened to how great life is once I was sober. I enjoy the simple things in life now. A good book, time with my family, cooking a delicious meal - sounds simple but it's the little joys that make me the happiest!
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When I used drugs I did so because initially I thought they made me feel good. However as I thought more about my problem and realized that what I actually sought was happiness I decided to seek happiness in other places. I believe that if people were open to examining their drug use to find out the real reason the are using drugs, they'd stop using drugs and instead seek ways to deal with the underlying issues . . . and they'd be happier.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Knowing it's your last day could also bring mixed emotions on a number of levels. While many people will be happy and content with how their life as gone, a lot of people will have a sense of regret and may try to spend the day making up for the past rather than enjoying it.