An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Living life after addiction

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Do you feel that living life is easier or harder after you have reached sobriety? Things got a little easier for me once I quit smoking because I have more money and nothing nagging for me time. What about you?
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I feel free, that's all I can say. I have a lot more money to focus on my hobbies and trips, plus I get to make more relationships and actually enjoy going to parties and social activities. I'm glad I'm not addicted anymore, everything is easier now. :)
  3. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Life is better for me after quitting my many habits or addictions. I have more money to partake in activities with my son and I'm more clear headed and able to focus. I also make better decisions and think before I act. I'm so glad I had the will power to quit and live a more positive life.
    Proudmomma likes this.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I too make some better choices in my life now that I have a little extra money and can think with a clear head. It is amazing how substances affect your way of functioning and most of the time you do not even realize it is happening to you.
    Proudmomma likes this.
  5. Proudmomma

Proudmomma Active Contributor

Congrats, dechantajones. I understand exactly what you mean. I think about if I would've every got high again after having my oldest son and we/he wouldn't have anything. He wouldn't be going to 1 of the best schools in philadelphia, he probably wouldn't even be in school if I were back on drugs. So to what you said, I have to say I'm very proud of you aND keep it up, not only for your son's sake but for your own as well.
  6. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Thank You Proudmomma! I was so happy to read your post and see there was someone else that made sacrifices and bettered themselves for their children. I don't need the drugs and alcohol they would definitely take the focus away from my child. I try everyday to stay focused and positive. You are doing great things for your children! Good Job!
  7. Proudmomma

Proudmomma Active Contributor

@dechantajones
    You are very welcome and I couldn't agree more. Drugs definitely would and does take the focus away from the children. Thank again and I'm very proud of you as well!!! Lots if love! Good night!
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think life is definitely so much better after addiction. You are able to save more money, and you are able to make wiser decisions in life. Since you are not tangled up with your cravings anymore, you can now do other hobbies/activities that would make you more of a productive person.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Addiction is like living in captivity. You see life flit by but there's nothing you can do to change anything. For me, I began to live the day I decided to stop using drugs.

So much of my time had been wasted but all that changed on that day. So yeah, though I haven't tasted victory yet, I think my life is much easier than it previously was.
  10. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I've been wondering how my life could be after I quit, but by reading this thread I now have come to blieve that life could be good after quitting.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

That's a tough question to answer in my opinion and will be different for each person. For me it's easier, I can get on with my life now but for a lot of others, including a couple of friends of mine it can be difficult.

They se their life now as a bit empty and they don't know how to live life without that substance. They aren't addicted to it anymore, mentally of physically but don't know how to live their life any other way.
  12. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

HECK YA!!!!!! Life is definitely a lot better than it was when I used. Even when I'm feeling down and depressed and can't think of anything really good in my life today (although there is a lot of good these days)life is still better than when I used. Maybe at first it seemed like it was taking too long, that I wasn't getting ahead or getting my life back to what it was, fast enough. But you know what? That feeling goes away. Slowly but surely you start to build up your life a little, and before you know it, you look around and you've got the beginnings of a home, and car and job and all the things you'd lost or thought you'd never have, and wouldn't have now if you hadn't recovered and stayed with it. So ya, life is better; the stress goes, the shaking goes, the dread and anxiety leaves and you stop looking back at using and wondering if life back then was better cause you know it wasn't
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Easier now, without a doubt. The start though was hard. I felt like I was ultimately re-establishing my life and starting from scratch in a lot of senses, so it was a bit of a vulnerable/lonely time (losing "friends" and so forth). But it got better, for sure.

I can't imagine being back in the grip of addiction. I love waking up now without regret or shame for what happened the night before or for not even remembering parts of it. I feel healthy and well and confident. It's just so much easier all around these days.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Of course living clean and drug-free is so much better than being dependent on drugs right? You are sane and able to function normally, and you act like a sensible person and you will be able to be a productive member of society I don't see why being addicted is better than that.
  15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I'm glad to see that everyone is experiencing at least one positive thing on what life after addiction is like. I thought that for some people, they will miss being around their buddies, even though they do drugs and would therefore have to make new friends, and a new support system.
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It's easier for me. It was hard to get used to at first, but now I'm fine and never going back!
  17. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Alcoholics, on the other hand, have a hard time after they manage to overcome their addiction. In most of the cases, by the time they solve their problems, they had lost most of their friends and their money anyway. My father for example. I am the only person that is still calling him. But most of his friends decided that he wasn't worthy anymore of their friendship and left him.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Rosyrain that is really good I could see how you would feel free of it. You do kind of get this feeling of being a slave to something when you always need or have to have something.
    I guess maybe my strongest addictions have been food. It does make you feel free when you have taken control of what choices you've made to break free from something you no longer wish to let control you.
  19. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

It depends on which angle you look on it from. It's not easy to stay away from that we held you captive. But it sure feels like an easier life when you are unburdened by your captor.
  20. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

It's amazing how all we all make mistakes yet we forget this when it comes on to forgiving others. Keep being the supportive friend that you are.