An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Living on borrowed happiness

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JonnyMacdonald, Dec 15, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook the other day, with her permission I wanted to share it with everyone:

"Its basically as if you are living on borrowed happiness, instead of it being spread at a steady rate, throughout the days. You take a drug and feel amazing, but it's always borrowed; you will always have to pay up, eventually. You take it once, one day and youre high off of 10 dollars worth; The next few days, you're at 30 to get that same feeling; soon, you're tolerance is too high to afford that high - and you're stuck paying the piper. The more you try to hold off paying back that borrow happiness, the more it costs you; worse and longer withdrawal and a tolerance too high to hold back having to go through it. Sooner or later, you have to come down; tolerance makes it practically impossible to keep that feeling going indefinitely: sooner or later, your tolerance will hit the point where you can't afford that next fix and when that time comes; it's time to pay up."
    Amelie Santos, kassie1234 and Rainman like this.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Wow, your friend has got superb writing skills. Thanks for sharing! :)

Well, I agree. Don't trade your bright future just for temporary pleasure. Always think about your goals in life before attempting to deal with drugs.
  3. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

That is something basic, in the sense of common sense or basic knowledge, but at the same time many fall in temptation and have a hard time turning back or creating a bright future.
  4. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Thank you for sharing, pretty well written. I feel for all the lost souls out there like me who borrowed happiness and borrowed time, perhaps hoping that it will be alright and you will feel okay for a bit, but it's never too late to turn it around, create meaning and a type of happiness that doesn't chip away your health or make you feel like trash for days after that.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Sooner or later you have to pay up. True. It doesn't have to be money. Drugs take a toll on someone's health. Initially one may imagine that nothing bad will happen to them but if they indefinitely continue using drugs eventually they'll have to pay the price for failing to care of their bodies as they were supposed to. When it gets there it might be too late to change anything.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think more and more people are taking the decision to live for the moment rather than look at the bigger picture. While it's true that nobody knows what the future holds and it's important to live life to the full, people also need to take responsibility for their actions and making sure the future is thought about, not just the here and now is the responsible thing to do.
    MrsJones and JonnyMacdonald like this.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Wow that is really deep! Thank you for sharing that. I am going to share it with my spouse. I think it is something that he needs to read right now. I hope it touches him in the way that it has touched me. Thank you to you and your friend for posting this,
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Such a great analogy for the way drug use works...that borrowed happiness is exactly where I was at with my drinking. And, it was like each time I borrowed from that bank, the interest repayments on it just kept escalating and escalating, until I wondered if I could ever pay it back.

Smart words from your friend there - I could totally relate.
  9. oportosanto

I agree that is a clever choice of words and we need to build our own fire, our own light, our own happiness inside of us without the need of harmful substances.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Wow, that's something. Its true. The tolerance people develop. I like this concept of borrowed happiness. An interesting metaphor. It just fits addiction. It kind of fits what I was just writing about in the last post. People addicted to getting angry. They are wired into it and seek it out. Looking for their next fix. They just keep going with it until they have to pay it back. The sadist who is addicted to making other people angry or upsetting them. They just keep going with it. This is borrowed too. They keep seeking that fix until they have to pay it back. They steal someone's light for their dark intention.
    "Borrowed happiness", it reminds me of credit. Credit cards to me are the devil's lending. I don't know why but it feels that way to me. Now thinking about this borrowed happiness and the sadist. Borrowed pleasure, happiness, its not authentic. Its not real or genuine. Certainly won't last.
  11. oportosanto

Yeah, anything that is not ours we cannot manage and we become dependent. Best to rely on what we have and that applies to everything in life.
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, that is exactly what getting high is like...it is like you are attempting to buy happiness through a substance but sooner or later..you are just doing it because you have to in order not to feel miserable. These are the things that addicts maybe should talk to themselves about before they start.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

What you wrote is very true, I think that drugs give people a sense of "borrowed happiness" and they fall for it even if they know that it's bad for their bodies. That's why it is always the best thing to not even try it at all.
  14. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Brilliant. Ultimately, no substance can make up for a hole in the spirit and soul.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well said. Getting high is different every time you do it. And you always find yourself spending more money than in the past experiences. You feel like you could do anything in order to acquire your drug of choice which makes you a slave to the substances. Choosing to be free can make you way happier than a drug.
  16. Amelie Santos

Amelie Santos Active Contributor

"Borrowed happiness" - oh wow, your friend has a wonderful way with words. :) It does explain why a lot of people are so desperate for their next hit. If you give yourself a break, you'll find that the happiness has faded right along with the drug haze. The sad thing is, even though I'm not dependent on drugs, I could totally understand the compulsion. Most of us are really just trying desperately to get through the day.
  17. oportosanto

Many times the excellence with words just reflects what we have lived and felt and this certainly seems to be the case. We should not need any substances to be happy.
  18. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback!
    I tried to get her to join the forum, but "forums arn't my cup of tea" she said.
    But I showed her all your blessed words and it gave her warmth.
    God bless you all!
  19. oportosanto

Thanks for the feedback Jonny. I think we have to respect everyone's will, either cases the plants are seeded and she knows that if we need support we are here.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is so realistic and nice to share it here.
    True that the happiness those drugs and other things bring were just borrowed or temporary. It will cost a lot in the end and it can destroy lives.