An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Living With a cocaine addict.

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Anna, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Anna

Anna Member

I know about cocaine addictions all to well. My Mother and Father both abused cocaine. This started when i was 7 yrs old. The addiction tore our family apart. My mom became pregnant with my sister. While she was pregnant she continued to do cocaine on a day to day basis. My sister was born going through withdrawal from cocaine. My dad found a way to beat this habit. But my mom she turned for the worst. She would leave my newborn baby sister home alone so i at the age of 8 took care of a 2 week old baby. I missed school i couldn't play outside with friends.COCAINE tore my family apart. We were taken away placed in a foster home. My mom was addicted to cocaine for 21 yrs. Finally she had enough to moved from GA to Ny where she was born. Move into a shelter. She battled her addiction with the help of support groups. She kicked her addiction was sober for a year. Got her life on track. A month after being sober she died of congestive heart failure. So many years of using cocaine it took a toll on her health. Its not easy to stop but it is possible get the help you need so you can live life with your family. I truly miss my mom but i'm happy that she was laid to rest a sober women. YOLO.
    lynzyh28 likes this.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello @Anna!

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. I really feel how much you're missing her right now. And wow, you've had to witness all those bad stuffs at a very young age of 7. Honestly, I don't know how I would be able to handle all those things at childhood. You were a brave child back then, and I know you're a strong woman now. Best of luck in life!
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think this is probably a similar story to many people all over the world when it comes to family's having to deal with an addict. The worst part of it is, is that it's still going on and it seems that no amount of help and support is actually making a difference.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Sorry to hear about your situation, and I hope you don't get offended but I'd just like to ask if you could share more about the history of your parents so we could all learn more about this type of occurrence. I personally believe that the root of the problem that drives people to addiction is much more significant than what they eventually choose to obsess over because at that point the substance could be substituted with any type of escapism due to difficulty in coping with mental or emotional problems in a more natural way.
  5. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

First off, I'd like you to know I've been through a similar situation as well. My dad was an alcoholic, but he never told me. He kept it all away from me and for that I respect him the most. His problems with alcohol ended up with a divorce when I was about 15 and that was the first time when I found out my father is an alcoholic. Second of all, if you do not mind, do you care to give a little insight on how you personally managed to stay clean on all this? I do imagine it being hard with such an toxic environment and I'm very glad you didn't fall in this "trap". Best wishes!
  6. Anna

Anna Member

Going through this at such a young age was so hard on me. But i never wanted to put another person through what I been through. It did something to me as a person. I will never forget that horrible life. I will never but my children through anything like that.
  7. Anna

Anna Member

8. Anna

Anna Member

Thank you so much for your kind words.
  9. Anna

Anna Member

10. Anna

Anna Member

I remember it all like it was yesterday. My mom was a great women. When cocaine first came to the south was the day my life changed. My dad brought home for her to try and was addicted the 1st time she used it. My dad was able to stop just like that no help nothing but my mom she could not stop. She told me one day she could be sitting at home and she would smell it in the air.
  11. nbts92

nbts92 Member

Cocaine can destroy your life, your body,your nose , your liver.Cocaine abuse is now the fastest-growing drug problem among the middle classes.
    Regular cocaine use can lead to a bulging weakness in the wall of a branch point of the arteries in the brain. This is often called a berry aneurysm. Eventually this aneurysm bursts, and blood pouring out of the leak is known as a subarachnoid haemorrhage. It can cause major damage to the brain.
    A regular cocaine user might suddenly find himself sweating profusely as his body temperature rises dramatically. He pulls his clothes off and tries to cool down with cold water, wet towels or ice. He becomes increasingly agitated, paranoid and confused and might be hallucinating.
  12. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I had a very similar situation but my parents were addicted to meth. My mom would always leave me alone at a very young age. On trips we would stop in Vegas so they could gamble and party a bit before the rest of our drive and they would lock me in the car. These drugs really make monsters out of every day people. I'm sorry you went through what you did, and I can only hope our similar situations make us better people.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It's just that no matter how much people wanted to quit their addictions/vices, they really don't know how and when to stop. It's like their addictions are already part of their whole system. That's the saddest thing.
  14. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Hey @Anna I'm sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharing. I'm sure your story about your family being tore apart from cocaine abuse, will inspire others and even scare some so they'll never try cocaine. This drug has been known to be a "family-breaker".
  15. henry

henry Community Champion

Wow, that's a real sad story, Anna. Sometimes we hear these type of stories and start realizing how lucky we are not to have gone through something of that caliber in this life. I've done a lot of coke, but I never hit rock bottom. But, I do know what coke can do. I got to see how some of my friends turned into monsters. One of them even pulled a shotgun on his own mother.
  16. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

What a story. I am sorry to hear about all the things that you and your family had to go through. It definitely shaped all of you. It not only shows how destructive substance abuse is, but also the long term effects of it.
    I know only too well what you are talking about, as I also went through hell, growing up with both parents being addicted to alcohol.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Sounds like an incredibly tough situation. If anyone can understand the effects of drug use on a family, it would be you. I think we all appreciate you sharing your story - and it made me happy to hear when she passed she was a sober woman. That's something important to get some strength and solace from, and I'm sure the fact that she passed when sober was very significant for her too.
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story. I think people really just have different levels of tolerance and addiction so it's best to be prepared before trying anything as you've mentioned it was easier for your dad to just experiment whereas your mom had to struggle with it after the first try. I'm just glad she was able to come off it eventually and I'm sorry to hear about your painful situation in the past but hopefully you have gained strength from it.
  19. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about all you have gone through. Living with a cocaine addict could be really unbearable and painful. The bad effects of cocaine is numerous on the family. I can relate with you very well. I can imagine that you children would not be part of your parents priority and life would be a living hell.
    I'm sorry about the death of your mother, but I'm happy because your life would be better.
  20. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Thank you for sharing that Anna and I'm really sorry for what has happened. I really hope that it all works out well. I know that people out there are struggling emotionally, and from a lot of stress of life it feels as if it forces them to run to drugs and a lot of other things. I pray for them that they find peace within themselves and they realize and wake up and know that there are people out there that care about them and want to spread love, and there is a reason to stop.