An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Lone camping trip

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by reubhole, Mar 7, 2015.

1. reubhole

reubhole Member

Just got back from a four day lone camping trip in the woods. It's really nice to get away from everything and just be alone for a while. Great to have nothing to worry about except where to take your next hike. So if possible, take a week off work, pack a bag and some food, grab a tent and sleeping bag, and go for it!
    amethyst, Rosyrain and missbishi like this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I have taken lone camping trips before and really enjoyed them. It's so peaceful and not having to worry about what anyone else wants to do is really quite liberating.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am a major fan of camping and hiking so a lone trip would be great for me. I like the idea of not having to worry about what others want to do, and can just explore nature on my own. Getting out into nature is a great way to clear one's head because you don't get all the stress of being in the city or your home environment. I have never taken a lone trip before. The only thing that would make me nervous would be to be out among the wildlife on my own.
  4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

That is totally true, I mean, being in touch with the nature is the best to get in touch with ourselves and see the reality of things, great advice!
  5. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Camping trips are good clean fun. It really clears your mind, even if you're with someone; much more if you're alone. It's sort of a reset button for all of the routines in your life. Once you get a break from everyday life you feel refreshed and ready to tackle it again.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. I think most people just forget to change their scenery from time to time and it ends up feeding their stress a lot more than they should. Also isolation once in a while is a good thing since it allows you to have some time for reflection and just an overall sense of peace and quiet. It's very beneficial for everyone, not just addicts.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Simple and easy. All yo need is a bike and a tent. I do it every other weekend with a special friend. We usually set up camp somewhere in the nearby countryside. I feel a little worried about going alone, as the place where I live isn't exactly safe. But my friend and I always have a great time together. He is one of those rare people that you can share silence with without any kind of tension.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sounds you have a good time alone in the woods. :)
    True that we should find time to relax and enjoy our own time. Being able to enjoy your own company is really a good thing.
  9. Gelsemium

I did that a few times myself, I grabbed mt bike and my tent and I just went someplace camping seeing the stars and listening to the river, good moments.
  10. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I am too chicken to go out into the woods by myself...but I am a bit of a loner at heart and I do notice that when I allow some time to just go off by myself and even sit in a park or go for a walk I do seem to be less anxious and become more focused. The most important relationship a person can have is with themselves. Get away from the chaos and get in tune with your mind. I'm not huge into meditation or things like that but I do know I benefit from a little quiet time away from people and noise.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have done this before and needless to say, it is extremely relaxing and helps you slow down and realize what actually matters in life. I suggest that everyone should do this.
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I was a little bit of a chicken at first too, but once you do it, it really does calm you down. Where the woods are near where I live, there is a bit of a snake problem, but once I got over my fears, I was at peace.
  13. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

Snakes! The snakes here like to climb tree's. Your not even safe in a hammock. :)
    As a kid we camped a lot. At least a few weeks every summer. My mom and dad would save up their vacation and we would take off. Granted this was before smartphones and so much technology but those camping trips were some of my most favorite times. I really think parents should take their kids off the grid more often. It couldn't hurt, and might solve a lot of problems.
  14. Rosyrain

I am really excited that the weather is warming up and it will soon be hiking and camping time again. I do not mind going on hikes by myself if there are others around. Even if I do not know the people around me, I take comfort in the fact that there are others there if something goes wrong. I am hoping to get a bike soon so I can go on some of the bike trails where I live. There are a lot of old rail tracks that have been turned into trails, the project is called "rails to trails" and offer miles and miles of fun.
  15. Gelsemium

When I was a teenager right after quitting drugs I went to the nature, to a magical place in my country called Sintra and I spent hours there, it was great.
  16. Rosyrain

I would live to get myself a fishing pole and some tackle and do a lone fishing trip this summer. Fishing has always been relaxing to me, but I have not done it in a few years. It would be really great too if I could catch some fish and have a fresh dinner.
  17. Gelsemium

I am really not fond of fishing, I find annoying to sit there and just wait for the fish to come to me. I prefer to swim or to explore around, I prefer to keep active.
  18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I had mentioned this awhile ago and people weren't kind. I think it's a great way to disconnect from the world and its pressures. The loneliness might get to you. But I think being alone with your thoughts is a great idea.
  19. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That is actually a great idea, because nature has a soothing effect on one's psyche, so if you have the time and budget, camping is a good idea.
  20. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've always loved camping and fishing. Stress relieving . . .

Great for a recovering addict too. Out there in the woods, you'll realize after a day or two that you can do without drugs. And depending on how long you want to camp, especially if it's a week or two, maybe by the time you get back to "civilization" the cravings for drugs would be gone.