An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Lone camping trip

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by reubhole, Mar 7, 2015.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I also want to do lone camping and stargazing, but I am a bit scared. I don't think I could do that. Anyway, yes, that's a great idea. :)
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’m pretty sure I would be capable, but the idea of being a lone woman out in the wild, that’s still a bit daunting. Nevertheless, the idea appeals. Not having to answer to anyone for a few days would be so peaceful, especially combined with getting in touch with nature.
  3. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I'm a city boy but this idea does sound interesting. Sometimes I have to lock myself in my room to get away from the noise, and I think camping would be a great way to get away from it all. I just need a guide or something to show me around and get me there. I am new to this.
  4. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

It doesn't matter who you are out there, once you're there. You can pretend you're the stepchild of Elvis Presley, moved to Earth fresh from Mars, and it won't matter. The whole point of going is to have time to yourself to really dig into yourself, and be away from all the influences that are bringing you down, drugs or not.
    CallipygianGamine likes this.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Solitude sure that was a good idea. Rainman says a week or two. You might not want to come back. Joshposh says the loneliness might get to you. Loneliness is good get it out of your system. Being comfortable with yourself is important. Your own company. Its good to need people and want them around. Enjoy other people's company but its really good to get this loneliness out of the way because you will feel better about yourself. Being outside is good like that. If you can't go camping than just some alone time spending time out side is another way.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I love camping. I think I would be scared to do it alone though. I will go for a walk in the woods by myself, However, it has to be in an area, that I think is safe. I would much rather go with somewhere else. It is just one of the ways that I can have fun.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I have only been camping once, but I do like getting away and just having some quiet time to reflect, whether that's going for a peaceful drive or going hiking - things like that just give me time to myself to think. I'm also an introvert by nature so I think having that quiet alone time is good to recharge my batteries!
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I actually love going on trips with my family. Although I don't get to travel alone, I still enjoy having my alone time in these trips. See my picture? That's from a trip we had last year. We went to the beach and we loved it! I always go to the beach alone when we go on trips. Either I go at night or early in the morning, just to lay there and think about my life and where I'm at. It's a great way to rethink your situation and find a new perspective to your problems. I definitely suggest it to everyone, especially to those in recovery. A bit of nature and alone time can be of great help to your healing.
  9. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

There are many people who try to avoid loneliness, some are even afraid of loneliness. However, for me loneliness gives me peace of mind, happiness, creativity and efficiency. When I am alone, I find surrounded by crow which is why I am not lonely when I am actually alone.
  10. remnant

remnant Community Champion

This is a good method and provides a mental escape from the worries and vagaries of life. The sounds and sights of malture are tranquilizing. Recovering addicts who take such sojourns have the opportunity to deeply reflect on life and reconnect with themselves. Thats why hospital environments have features that mimic nature in order to reduce the anxiety suffered by patients. I also take occasional pilgrims for solace in our garden which is located in a quiet and serene area.