An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Long story short...

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by calicer1996, Oct 31, 2014.

1. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Hey everyone! Long story short, I enter depression when I was 13. Now, I am 18 and I still battle with it on a daily basis. Procrastination also worsens it. Would love you responses and advises. Thank you all!
  2. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

Hello, calicer1996.

The obvious advice would be to seek professional help. I battled with depression for some time in my life, but I though I could manage it. When something happened in my life that made me realize that I couldn't, I went to a psychiatrist. I only went for two sessions, and I was medicated for about a month. But in those two hours that guy helped me realize many things in my life that were driving me towards deep depression.

One of the things that helped me with my depression was starting to recognize the things in life that I could affect or change, and more importantly, the things that I couldn't. Sometimes we get depressed for things happening in our lives that are beyond our control, i.e. getting fired from a job. While this might result from your own actions at the workplace, the decision was not made by you, and after it's done, you cannot really influence on the outcome. There are two ways you can take after this: take responsability and go out and find another job, or sitting down and doing nothing, which will surely lead to some depression.

And that's the other part of living. Taking responsability and acting in the aspects in your life that you can actually affect. This is even harder than just realizing that you cannot change some aspects. In your case, given that you've already recognized that you have a problem, you should do the responsible thing and start by getting professional help.

Hope that my post has helped you somehow, and I wish you the best on the road to getting better!
  3. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

Question, have you had your horomone levels checked? I know this sounds crazy but your horomones go crazy when you hit 13. I recommend you having those checked out because you may not be getting enough of a certain horomone. I also recommend you finding things that make you happy. Whatever it is, only use it when you really feel down. That way it'll boost you right up. Good luck.
  4. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

Have you tried therapy or seen a Doctor to see if perhaps if it is something to do with your chemical or hormonal balance? Depression is a hard thing to deal with and there is no quick easy fix. You can end up fighting it everyday, but the fight is worth it. I don't know your situation, but we are all here if you ever need to vent or if things seem like they are too much. Just know you aren't alone in this please.
    Jen S. likes this.
  5. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I can definitely understand where you're coming from. I, myself, am feeling the same way right now due to a bad breakup that happened recently. My advise that I can give you is for you to seek professional help, talk to friends, and don't even think about resorting to alcohol and drugs. Because trust me, it will not help you in any way.
    Askani likes this.
  6. Mallard

Mallard Member

Hi calicer1996. I too suffered from depression/panic attacks when I was about your age. That's how my addiction began, by self-medicating it. I strongly encourage you to seek professional help as others have stated here. If it is a chemical imbalance, the correct medication can vastly improve your life!! Sometimes it takes awhile to find the right one, so please don't give up. And remember, don't pick up another drug yourself because it initially makes you feel better. Take it from one who knows. I wasted more years of my life than you've been alive going down that path. You'll just create an even greater problem for yourself. Good luck.
  7. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Confront your fears and confide to someone whom you trust. Seek family support as their love and understanding could help you emerge in that pitfall stronger than ever. It's also important to seek professional help from a qualified doctor.Good luck.
  8. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Hi calicer1996! First, thanks for sharing your story, no matter how short it is, it is important for you and others here who may have the same condition or whose loved ones have it.

Since it has been going on for years, why don't you seek professional help? It will help you address the issue once and for all. It is an illness with real symptoms. One cannot simply walk out of it, just be happy and psyche him-/herself up that everything will be fine. But the good news is, with proper treatment and support from loved ones, you can completely recover from it.

Your procrastination may be due to the fact that you are low-spirited and constantly tired with no drive to do what you want. But it is not you. It is the illness that's making you behave that way.

I do hope you get proper treatment if you aren't yet into it. All the best to you!
    missbishi likes this.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

It's hard to tell people about depression at that age because people assume it's just because of your teenage angst/ hormones, and it very might well be, but people usually fail to acknowledge that it very might well not be as well.

I recommend just trying to better yourself and be as independent as you can be so you can cut out all the toxic people around you without any second guessing. As for your procrastination, I recommend looking into philosophy and psychology books to learn more about yourself and the people around you so you can identify and solve problems like these, but just be careful not to get too over zealous with self diagnosis. I have heard of a theory that procrastination can be linked to being raised in a religious household so I'd like to ask more about your background if you care to provide it.
  10. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Thankfully you have found a wonderful family here with us. Please do read all the stories and get as much as possible from they as depression can lead to substance abuse, which is only going to make things disastrous. I wish I knew a bit more about your condition though, that way I would be better able to give useful advice.
  11. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Turning to a professional would definitely be the wise course of action. You might find out what the underlying cause of your depression is or if you don't you could learn how to keep it under control. Wallowing in despair all alone in your room won't do you any good. There's always someone out there who knows how to help you and I hope you find him/her eventually.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

This is certainly true. Depression takes away your "get up and go". Procrastination is just a symptom of your illness, not a personal characteristic of yours so please try not to dwell on it. Once you get the depression sorted, you'll naturally get more done.
  13. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Hello, man! Do you have something that you love doing? If no, then look for it! Try different things. Drawing, Sports, etc. :D
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello @calicer1996!

Welcome to the forum! I am sorry to hear about your predicament. I also feel the same way as you do because I also suffer from bouts of depression. I should say, it's never easy to fight and beat depression because it feels like it has already been sewn to our system. But yeah, everyday is a battle. I would suggest try to pick a hobby that would somehow help you cope up with it. As for me, it's reading and writing that have kept me sane for many years now.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

You are quite young, and young people are prone to overestimating or underestimating their emotions. What is it that you're depressed about? Is it about something fleeting like grades, relationships, etc.? If your depression lasts a week or more and it has hampered your ability to function normally, then I think that's the only time that you should consider going to a counsellor or psychiatrist to help you determine what is it exactly that you are going through, since young people don't really suffer from depression.
  16. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

What? Young people don't really suffer from depression? Where on earth did you read that?

In actual fact, those aged 18-24 have the highest prevalence of mental disorders of any age group. Suicide is the third most common cause of death in this age group too.

http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/public/depression/inteenagersyoungadults.cfm
  17. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Professional help is going to be helpful in most cases, yes. You should also look into creating goals and activities for yourself -- making sure you do 150 minutes of exercise each week, for instance, will at least make you feel like you did something good for yourself, like you accomplished something (which would be the case). Habit-trackers apps can help you motivate yourself and just start to do stuff (I'm thinking SuperBetter or HabitRPG for instance).
  18. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I agree. Depression can and does occur at any age.

Another thing, others may not understand is that depression can actually physically hurts. It is not all about the psychological effects, although relevant, you can ache down to the core of your bones. You can get so exhausted that you can not get out of bed. Not because you do not feel like it, but because you are hurting so bad. Depression can really take a toll on both your mind and body that is why it is so vital to get professional guidance. I mean of course, forums are a wonderful, helpful outlet, but a depressed person also needs a professional!

Thanks for sharing. I can relate to how stressful it can be to procrastinate! I am sure this does not help your depression at all! I would suggest tiny steps and then patting yourself on the back for getting another thing checked off your list of things to do. I know. I know. I can seem like a never ending list that keeps piling up! Here is the thing, I think it would be difficult to find anyone who did not have something that needed to be done and they have put it on the back burner. And to tell you the truth, I do not even like to make a list! I know, what I need to get done because it is bothering the heck out me because I have procrastinated!
  19. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

I am deeply saddened when I hear stories like these. I assume that your depression was linked to your drug addiction and at such a tender age. Your depression may be linked to something that happened and it is still happening in your life. I think you should isolate the problem and deal with the problem. Taking drugs will not eliminate the pain.
  20. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Hi calicer1996, and welcome to the forum. Depression is daunting. Most of us here have experienced it in various degrees. Personally, I have been struck down by depression many times in my life. Each time it lasted from a few weeks to several months. I found many good ways to deal with it. Meditation and a healthy lifestyle are paramount to me these days. Also, I don't push depression away when it visits me. I give myself the time and space to feel down and to clean out some old stuff inside me to make room for new things.