An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Long Term Effects of Morphine Pills

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Ohyesuare, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Ohyesuare

Ohyesuare Member

I recently broke my leg and was given morphine through an IV and in pill form while in the hospital. I am wondering what the long tern effects of taking morphine is and how addictive it is. I am still in pain and want to take the pills but don't want to risk it if there are any bad effects from taking them.
    rabst likes this.
  2. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

You can read here what Drugs.com has to say about it---lots of good information there.

Drug-reliance is another example of how hospitals (and the medical industry) get such a bad name & get painted more as 'pushers' than as 'healers.' See, the human body MAKES the best 'drugs'; the medicine sold as 'drugs' ought to be used just as a 'crutch' (materials your body is supposed to be making itself, thus only used until your body can make the materials itself).

The pain is a sign that something is wrong in your body. Ask your doctor how long the pain typically lasts, & don't use the short-term formula longer than that. (Also ask if it would be good for you to start the extended-release formula's prescription.)
  3. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

If your doctor prescribed you morphine - it's probably a short term solution to a high pain situation -- but if you are concerned about substance dependence - talk to your doctor and about a less addictive pain intervention plan. There are lot's of meds on the market to help you manage and I'm sure he can find another solution.
  4. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

This shows me a possible reason behind substance-dependance: the independent spirit that asks, "Do you really want to restrain yourself to the substances your 'doctors' approve-of, or don't you wanna 'freely choose' the substances you feel better with?" :cool:

The 'responsible' doctor would train you not to need any foreign substance in your body---maybe with a 'schedule' for weaning you off the meds prescribed.
  5. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

Straight morphine is less dangerous to your kidneys/liver than things that mix it with acetaminophen. It's also marginally safer if you use no alcohol, get plenty of water, and have a good diet. No drug is free of side effects. If you can function in some discomfort without the morphine, great! If you need to take the edge off of the pain to be able to go on with daily life (sleep, read, eat without throwing up), then the morphine isn't necessarily bad. I have learned that if I take enough to take the edge off the pain (say bring it down to a 2 or 3 from an 8-9), I don't feel high from the morphine. If I actually feel good, completely pain free and a little floaty, then I've taken too much. Also, when I feel that good, I do stupid ****, like cartwheels and jumping on a trampoline and moving furniture. Stuff a sober me in some discomfort knows better than to try. There's a middle ground if you need the meds.
    rabst likes this.
  6. globulon

globulon Member

Morphine is one of the most medically potent pain-killer medications there is, which is why its often prescribed with more serious pain. Whether you form a dependence or addiction to it differs between different individuals. If you are concerned about forming a dependence on morphine, discuss it with your doctor. Often they can modify your medications to reduce your morphine load and eventually wean you off morphine completely. Most doctors would be eager to discuss using less morphine with you, as they are often concerned with their patients forming a dependence as well.
    rabst likes this.
  7. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Alcohol and acetaminophen put a huge stress on liver. Combined with morphine you will have a recipe for disaster. Think safe!
    rabst likes this.
  8. juno

juno Community Champion

Morphine is addictive. You should be taking them under the care of a doctor, but that does not mean you won't get a prescription drug addiction. It really depends on the person. It's long term effects is that it is damaging to your organs, like liver.