An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Long term use of Ambien

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by amatchmaker, Apr 25, 2017.

1. amatchmaker

amatchmaker Member

I've been taking Ambien for insomnia for 6 months. It's prescribed by my psychiatrist, who has been treating me for over 5 years for bipolar disorder. I've done some online reading and research about its use and dangers regarding addiction. It mentions regular long-term use can be addictive, but I can't find anything that says exactly what's considered long-term use. I also read about the dangers of attempting withdrawal on your own. My doctor recommended that I only take it when I'm in bed for more than 20 minutes and can't get to sleep, ie, not necessarily taking it every single night. I'm getting a little concerned about extensive use. Can anyone shed some light and personal perspective on this? Thanks!
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@amatchmaker.... The article at the link below might help you. According to the information there, if you take Ambien for more than 30 days, your body will start developing a higher tolerance to the drug. That can also lead to dependence.

The Effects of Ambien Use

You are right to be concerned, and I would definitely talk to your doctor about it.