An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Looking at Life Through the Eyes of a Child

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by gracer, Feb 11, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Looking at my 6-year-old boy and seeing how jolly and happy he is even with the simplest things in life makes me think that we adults also need to look at life the way children do sometimes. They look at life full of positivity and without any mark of remorse or hatred in their hearts. Children show love in unlimited ways and they easily forgive without leaving any excess baggage in them.

If we could think and feel the way children do sometimes, it would be easier for us to let go of the negative thoughts and factors of our lives. It would be easier for us to get rid of our pent up emotions and just set our hearts free from any pain.

Whatever you are going through right now, whether you're struggling with addiction or with a problem that you think is so hard to bear, look back into the time when you were still a child and remember how it felt to be one. A child still manages to give out a smile even through tough times in life. Let us look at life like children do sometimes and maybe, just maybe we could learn a thing or two from the way they see the world. :)
    MrsJones and xTinx like this.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I agree with this statement and I think we lose our blind innocence as we get older. I wish I could look at the world with wonderment in my eyes like a young child does. I think we all get bound by stress trying to conform to the pressures that society puts us through. If only we could all just a step back and enjoy the small things in life once again.
    gracer likes this.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

This is a very thought provoking and powerful post. You are so right. Life through the eyes of an innocent child is so pure, so free. They never let anything bother them. They go about their lives with a smile no matter what. I think we all need to be a bit more child like when it comes to dealing with the stresses in our lives.
    gracer likes this.
  4. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I believe we remain child all our life. Our body grows mature and old, but inside we are always child. As a child we play a game of mother, father, doctor, nurse, and as an adult we do the same thing, we role play,we act as a father, mother, doctor,nurse etc.
    gracer likes this.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I wish I could be as positive as a child, but I'm more of a realist by nature, so when things seem down, I tend to dwell on that. I guess I need to try to be as optimistic as a child once again.
    gracer likes this.
  6. gracer

Indeed, our childish nature should never leave us even when we grow older each year. Children know how to ask for help when they one. They ask for a hug or arms to comfort them when they feel weak and vulnerable. And I think we all need to be like that sometimes. When you let yourself succumb to your weaknesses and accept them as a normal part of life, they will just pass on easily because we would only need to lay our heads on a stronger shoulder and our fears will just fade away. Accept your weaknesses like a child does and seek out for help like a child seeks for comfort. :)
    MrsJones likes this.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Having a heart of a good child is good. :)
    As it was not yet full of troubles and hesitations but full of hopes and adventures. It is really good to look back on those childhood moments when you feel care free or stress free. :)
    gracer likes this.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Great advise, @gracer! Thanks for sharing. :)

Well, I wish it could be just easy to go back in time, and imagine yourself as a child, so carefree, positive, and full of aspirations. But after daydreaming, I would easily get depressed and stressed over some responsibilities of being an adult.
    gracer likes this.
  9. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Kids are so innocent and filled with energy, so I wish I could be like them. Surely they can be annoying, but they are positive and enjoy life as it is, many adults need that too.
    gracer likes this.
  10. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I totally agree! I see this all the tine in my own kids and it makes me realize the same. They appreciate a lot more than we do.
    gracer likes this.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think there's a lot of beauty in the eyes of a child. Optimism, perseverance - it's basically a clean slate. I think sometimes though it's hard to revert to that sort of thinking as an adult. I wish it was easier though!
    gracer likes this.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is a good one to observe. The child-like faith, to believe as a child does. The joy, the sweetness, and the innocence. The thing that I can remember is the bold fearlessness to do things without reservation. Yes, we all want to bottle all of that. It's a shame when parents spoil that joy or sweetness. When I see a child and how sweet they are it hits my heart. I love to see them. I guess it hits my heart because I remember that time and it is not there as it was. I guess we all have to find it again.
    gracer likes this.
  13. gracer

I can relate with what you said. Whenever memories of my childhood comes into mind, there's this feeling of longing to go back in those days when I would just cuddle with my mother and hear her children's stories and my day would end perfectly. I remember those times when I used to fly kites with my dad and we were just filled with so much joy upon seeing our kites flying high above the sky. Things have changed now and have become more serious. We have lost the care-free ways that we used to spent our days. I could only close my eyes now and dream of those good old days when I was still a child. :)
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Indeed. Children's minds are open and haven't yet been subject to the conditioning of society. They think for themselves and do not let external factors control their thoughts or beliefs. As we grow older, certain things are expected of us and the freedom to think for ourselves is gradually taken away from us. We end up being told what to believe and we are expected to swallow it without question. Some people may call it realism but it's not, it's materialism. That's very different when you know how the true nature of reality works which is very much metaphysical in nature - therefore metaphysics is true realism!
    gracer likes this.
  15. oportosanto

Kids are very intense though, but this is just because they have so much energy in them that we cannot deal with. They are pure that is why they are so electric!
    gracer likes this.
  16. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I also find myself experiencing the phenomenon of regression, looking back with nostalgia to my childhood days. The carefree life, the unbridled optimism and appreciating the smaller things of life which adults take for granted.
    gracer likes this.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That's true. I know not all of the members here are Christians but what you said somehow reminds me of this verse from Matthew 18: 2-6 (New International Version):

2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.​

Adults seem to think that just because they've reached that age they're no longer entitled to innocent hopes and pure ideals, not knowing that it's important to keep your childlike enthusiasm as you grow older. It keeps us grounded in this all-too-often unfair world.
    MrsJones and gracer like this.
  18. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

This is true. Growing up changes someone's outlook in life. We get to know that Santa and the Easter bunny is not real. We develop lust and love. We get abit corrupted by the world.

I guess that is what separates us from children. We are no longer innocent people who do not know what dying is. We know what sex is and what drugs are.

I see no need to try and become a child again and pretend everything is fine and innocent as it should be. Let us embrace the transition. Let us admire children but leave it at that because no mater what we do we will always be adults.
    gracer likes this.
  19. oportosanto

Trying to become a child is pointless, but I think it's important when we do preserve some innocence in our hearts and when we have the capacity to see the world through their eyes.
    gracer likes this.
  20. gracer

Thank you for sharing this verse xTinx. :) It's a wonderful reminder of how humility can significantly influence our lives positively. If we humble ourselves like children do, it would be easier for us to forgive both other people and ourselves for all the mistakes we make and have done with each other. Children don't have an attitude of pride in them that makes their lives simpler and happier. I hope we could all learn a thing or two from children and from our experiences as children too.