New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Looking for Low cost/State Treatment Centers in NJ

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by TheMother, Oct 23, 2017.

1. TheMother

TheMother Member

Hello. In January I scrapped every cent I could find to place my daughter in the Sunrise House in Newton NJ.
    She was there for 60 days. She then went straight to a halfway house. I had her 4 year old daughter. My granddaughter.
    Less than two months she was kicked out of the halfway house. She said it was because of personality differences. Of course I believed her.
    She moved back into my house. I think she was ok for the first month. Then I see changes and I knew she was back to using. She stole over $2000 form my bank account. A little each week. She would take my ATM card when I was not looking. $60 one time. $100 the next. For 4 months. I am not one to always check my bank statement. I thought I was spending too much. I found out because of an over drawn notice the day after pay date.
    I threatened her a few times. I took her to a doctor for drugs that were suppose to help her craving. And of course, I still believed her.
    She is working a part-time job. Never misses a day. Goes in early if they need the help. Or so I would like to believe.
    It all came to a head this past Friday when I surprised her by coming home early. She had a needle loaded, and ready to use.
    I flipped out and kicked her out of the house.
    She needs help. I cannot afford another 20K.
    Are there any facilities in NJ that are low cost and or free/state subsidized??
    Or do I send her out of state.
    I need some real advice. Not just "customer service rep" cut and paste response.
    Thank you for reading and your response.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@TheMother... I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's situation and I totally understand your frustration. Being the parent of an addict is definitely one of the biggest challenges life can throw at us.

You can look for a low-cost or no-cost treatment facility visiting the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA) website and using their "Treatment Locator" tool. You plug in your zip code and it will return treatment facilities in that area. By perusing the information on each facility, you can find which ones offer discounted services.

You could also look for rehabs in other states if you'd like. Personally, I think sending a loved one out of state for treatment is a very good idea. Here are a few reasons why:
    • They know they can’t leave. Or that if they do, they’re going to be faced with being in a place where they don’t know anyone, don’t have a place to live, don’t have money, etc. So staying in treatment is the best option.
    • They are far away from familiar places, habits, and people (including their substance-using friends). This helps limit the number of “triggers” they experience and also takes away their known sources for drugs or alcohol.
    • They are in a totally new environment, and the change of scenery helps them relax, clear their head better, and focus more on recovery.
    I also think that you would be better off not allowing your daughter to come back to live in your home. Letting her be there makes things much easier for her; including continuing her addiction. A lot of times parents think having their child live at home with them is helping them, when in fact it's enabling them.

I hope something I said helps. I will keep you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers. Please remember to take good care of yourself, okay? Self-care is absolutely essential when you're dealing with an addicted child.