An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Looking for tomorrow

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by caparica007, Oct 21, 2014.

1. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

I feel that the best inspiration we might have when facing addiction is to look for a better tomorrow, imagine what you want your life to be and just fight for it, see who you have around you that can help or what resources you have at your disposal...
  2. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Wanting to make a change is half the battle. If you have an inner drive to make a change, being determined can help get you there. Some people need a firm support system in place, while others are able to do it on their own. It takes commitment and it takes not giving up.
  3. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Amen to that, that is exactly what I have been doing and it sure helps. I keep my mind focused on the brighter days ahead for the sake of my child, myself and also my family. Focusing on college and all keeps me steady headed:)
  4. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

That sounds great and unfortunately if you are into your addiction you dont see past what you are using. Some people can reach out for a day or two and wonder how lives would be different but it is only once they are clear of using that the lights have been turned back on.
    Yes then there is hope and there can be a brighter tomorrow but each and every day they will have to wake up and concentrate on just that day. In time seeing a better tomorrow will give them the drive to fight for what they want.
  5. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I think it works differently for different people. My brother in law was motivated to stop his meth abuse by having another chance at a job he truly liked. He had to stop to come clean in the medical exams for that job. Prior to that, he was given a business by his wife, my sis in law, but he just used the money for his meth. With the job that he loved, until now, he has been on a clean slate and is working perfectly well for the company. On one hand, my uncle lessened his alcohol intake by adopting an exercise regimen which is also the same for my cousin. But my cousin is not as alcoholic as my uncle.
  6. caparica007

Sadly it is so, if we are addicted we just look for the next fix, that's our life.
  7. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I think you also have to make a decision to not give up before you hit the rough spot where you will want to give up. It happens to everyone, so a firm decision ahead of time will help you have the resolve to not do what you feel like doing in the moment, but pushing through that hard time knowing what you will gain for doing so.
  8. Lanny

Lanny Member

I absolutely agree with you. There are times when I wonder if I will be able to make it through life. Not only do I look to God for guidance, but I talk to my family for my help. I might be going through some struggles in life but I never give up... God always help those who helps themselves.
  9. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

That's so very true - the past is gone and future potentially has so much to offer. The trouble with most of us though is that we project that past onto our image of the future, when really it doesn't have to be that way. It's all about the choices that we're willing to make in the present moment.
  10. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Being an addict is a tough life to have gotten yourself into and the truth is that it takes hitting rock bottom and the going to hell to get that scare into wanting a future. Some unfortunately, never get there due to a lack of support, being too far gone to think that they can find a new way and the one thing that is important to know is tht there is hope, there is faith and there are ways to have a lighter and brighter life. Small goals are a good idea and the stepping stones to recovery will help secure a future. The first step is to acknowledge that you don't want to do this anmore, the second is to get help because it is not easy on your own and then you can take it from there.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

What did that quote from Gone with the Wind's Scarlett O' Hara say? Tomorrow is another day. We can all rectify the mistakes of the past by working hard at present for a better tomorrow. Your past never defines who you are. Who you are today and who you will remain to be tomorrow matter more.
  12. caparica007

We might be lucky enough to have friends or family members who give us the hand, but if we don't we will always find a helping hand in support groups, if we managed to get there.
  13. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Sometimes looking towards a better tomorrow can seem really far off, so even looking towards having a better next half hour can help. It is always good to look towards things getting better, no matter how small of a time increment, being consistent with trying to do better is key.
  14. caparica007

Yeah, sometimes having someone by our side in the next 30 minutes can make the whole difference between consuming or not.
  15. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

Personally I think what inspired me to stop drinking and using was my hopes and dreams for the future. I found that the passion that I had inside of me was greater than the love I had to drink. Looking to the future I did not want to be addicted to alcohol. I wanted to have my own business, working with purebred Arabian horses.
  16. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

I agree, when addicted, people can look forward towards the future and tomorrow. People can think and look forward towards the future without having to worry about the past. I agree that people should stop worrying about their previous regrets and look forward towards a positive future.
  17. Lanny

Lanny Member

I think you are right. Not everyone has a close friend or family member (s) to help them. Sometimes we have to look to engage in support groups. Groups are very helpful, not only in maintaining sobriety, but also as a safe place to get support and discuss challenges. Connecting with others who know first-hand what you’re going through can help reduce feelings of isolation, fear, and hopelessness. Staying motivated and positive is much easier when you have others you can turn to and lean on to help you get through tough times.
  18. caparica007

I agree, support groups are great and so is this forum, it's always good to have someone we can talk to, to have someone who we can relate with.
  19. caparica007

This is really hard to do, it's pretty much like the Pavlov reflex, but at a more complex level, we just go back to the old habits if we are not strong enough.
  20. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

Amen! Beautifully said. Whether you're going through addiction or a really rough patch, looking for a better tomorrow always helps. I know it's hard. And I know it's especially hard for someone whose "better tomorrow" is not clear or obvious. But looking for a better tomorrow is all about having "hope". Hope is a beautiful, creative and life-giving thing.