An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

losing a friend

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by waterpixie2, Jul 26, 2015.

1. waterpixie2

waterpixie2 Member

my best friend was in a car on her way home from a night of drinking and she crashed her car into a grad rail she died instantly losing her has been very hard to deal with any family's with teens that have a drinking problem or go out drinking and think they can drive home safely talk to your kids dont let them drink and drive something bad can happen
  2. henry

henry Community Champion

I know just what you mean. I had a friend who crashed into a big tree while driving drunk one night. His death really messed me up, and thinking that I could have been partying with him that night made it even worse. So, that's really good advice.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am so sorry for your loss. It is difficult to get through the loss of a friend especially when it is so senseless and could have been prevented had she not driven that night. I have lost a few people too for the same reason and it is so sad. It will continue to happen because when people are drinking they never think they are as drunk as they are. They think nothing of getting behind the wheel and driving. Lots of time they will be the one who survives the accident and innocent people will die as a result of their choice to drive. I am not sure how you get people educated enough not to drink and drive. Some people just don't get it and then it is too late.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

My SO's brother was killed by a drunk driver so this subject is very emotive for me. I'd like to see the legal blood/alcohol limit lowered even further - people still believe that they can have a couple of drinks and be OK. A zero tolerance approach might go some way to eradicating this misbelief.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'm so sorry to hear that happened to your friend, OP. Over here there have been a lot incidents related to drinking and driving, someone almost ends up killing themselves by crashing against the contention wall and falling to the river. They didn't though, but were so close. It happened twice in the same area, two different people.
  6. Marie92

Marie92 Active Contributor

Yes drinking and driving is very dangerous. I am sorry for your loss. A drunk driver hit me about 10 years ago, the guy was about 70 years old. He thought he could make a turn before the light changed but he didn't make it. Yes, parent should definitely speak to teens about the effects and affects of doing it.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Sorry for your loss. Many years ago, a close friend of our family was killed by a drunk driver. The sad thing is it not only can effect the driver but the pedestrians. Drinking and driving are two of the worst things to put together. I hope this is something people will start taking more seriously.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there @waterpixie2. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It must have been really painful to you, but yeah, that would be the consequences of drunk driving. As for me, I don't have any friend who would tend to go drunk then drive. It's really sad to know that some people would let this happen.
  9. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I'm also sorry to hear about your loss, and hope you'll be able to get past it thoroughly. I know it's hard, but if you need support, we are here just for you. I can definitely relate to your loss. I was also once put in the posture of losing someone because he was driving a bike in the middle of the night, didn't have the lights turned on, and well... crashed into a big wall of stone. I wanted to die as well at that moment, but then realized I was unable to bring him back no matter what I'd do.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Alcohol vehicular death are common. It is especially hard on those left to mourn the lost of a friend. I hope this teaches and shows everyone the dangers of drinking and driving.