An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Losing a Piece of Yourself

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by JoshPosh, Mar 2, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've had family members an close friends that had gotten off of Meth after years of abuse. After getting cleaned up they were never the same. Their personality wasn't the same and it seemed like a piece of them was taken away. That is the dangers of using this drug for a lengthy time. When get off it you are never the same. Some show have been on it for a long time are now sad to see and to talk to. They are really a shell of their former selves.

What's your opinion on the matter?
  2. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

My mom was a meth user for years. She has been clean for some time now and I know exactly what you are talking about. She has a totally different mentality and its like the drug changed her forever. She kind of has this IDGAF attitude and even her humor now is totally different. Much more crude and rude than before. Its as if the meth intensifies these peoples bad behavior and that never seems to go away no matter how much time has passed since they used.

It really does steal peoples lives in more ways than just addiction.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I believe this has something to do with your dopamine receptors never fully recovering after heavy meth use. I used to dabble in it myself and was lucky enough to come out of it relatively scott free. It's a nasty drug for sure.
  4. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

My ex used meth and he told me that he changed and knows that he changed. He can't be happy anymore either. It's just not in his brain chemistry. He would have to get on some SSRIs for that to happen, but he refuses. Now he is just a recluse.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Unfortunately, I have a lot of family members that have taken or still take meth, and I do agree with the above comments; even if some of them have already quit, they aren't the same people. Surely they are better than when they would have taken, but at least 60% of their joy is gone, among with any motivation to work or simply get out of their bed. It's sad to see them this way, but hopefully they will realize that what happens is because they caused it with their own actions, and that they need to move on to their life once again.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I have seen some people I know, that have lost a lot and when they come out of the state they realise how they should of listened to friends and family that this path is not good. I was watching a indian crime drama series true stories it shows real things that happened and how the crime could have been prevented if differnce choices were made like in one a guy was taking drugs causing problems for his family. They were a wealthy family , and the dad was worried about his respect and also his honour so had his son shot to death to stop him this was no solution and instead it bought pain and suffering for his mum brother and others in the family saying no the first time is needed as experimentations lead to getting addicted to it.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree, I think this is true for most former addicts. However, I do not think we all see the entire story just by looking at them this way. Usually, former addicts already have problems to begin with which made them start to abuse in the first place, so what you might be seeing is what they have always been.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

You are pretty correct. They will never get their lives back together, no matter how hard they try to recover, and even starting a "new life" won't help. They will still be empty inside, and never able to be that healthy flawless person they were before. Meth is just horrible.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It's a shame what has happened to the people I knew and grew up with. they use to be vibrant and alive. Then after meth they can't look at you in the eye. They stare at the ground and mumble. They never did that before. The hide in the confines of their parents house ashamed or have retreated in there out of shame or guilt. I don't think rehab can get their minds back. Not a long shot. They even laugh differently now.
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

That's the worst part of meth. It just destroys your personality. I don't know if you can completely recover after it, and the person you will become will be totally different than who you were before. I don't know why people even do this.
  11. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

You might as well say goodbye to a person just before they get hooked on Meth. They will not be the same person in a few months or even weeks. The person they become will be a totally different person. Everything that was important in their life will no longer matter.
  12. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

So true. A musician friend of mine who always struggled with obesity got a great offer in another country. He completely disappeared from the surface and everyone thought that he was busily engaged in his new lifestyle and work. When he resurfaced again, many didn't recognize him at first. Not just had he lost almost 20kg but also his voice and entire personality had changed. After a while it became clear that it was all due to meth.
    When he returned back home, he put back on his weight within a couple of months, but he was never the same again. He became very withdrawn, always mumbling something about distant realities. In fact, I feel like I have lost him. I don't know anymore who he is.

13. I totally agree with you. I think that something like meth takes a piece of your soul. For you to destroy yourself that way. There is no coming all the way back from it.
  14. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

I have read that meth has both short term and long term side effects. The long term effects can start after the user stops using it.
    It is said to contain a high level of dopamine and when the brain is exposed to this, it causes both long term and short term negative effects.
    I just wonder if the long term effect will one day come to an end?
  15. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Thanks for pointing out the relationship between meth and dopamine.

I wanted to learn more and found an article about the cocaine and the dopamine buildup. I would think the two are similar. If anyone interested, the following link explains this process in detail without getting to technical.

The Neurobiology of Cocaine Addiction

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2851032/
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've never known anyone who has fought a meth addiction, but from everything I've heard about it, it's a terrible drug.
    In Australia, there's a very very famous football player by the name of Ben Cousins. He was once awarded the best player in the entire league award -- he was that good at Australian football. Now though, he's known as a drug addict and all because of meth. He essentially gave up his talent, and all his opportunities in life because he's ended up an addict and can't seem to break it -- even with fancy rehabilitation centers in the States and so forth. It's really sad...
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Whilst meth is the ultimate culprit for this kind of thing, it's not just meth that can cause it. I've seen the exact same thing happen to friends and family members who were addicted to heroin or crack-cocaine. Others were addicted to amphetamine or MDMA/Ecstasy. All of them became shells of their former selves, some of them died young and very few of them went on to actually sort their lives out although, thankfully, one or two of them did. Meth and crack-cocaine are two substances that can do this to you in a very short period of time.