An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Losing respect

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Hannah, Apr 11, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I have a friend who is increasingly becoming an alcoholic. You see, alcohol is funny because of the varying predispositions, motives and effects of drinking on different people. He usually tells me that he will never stop drinking. An interesting fact is that he doesn't take one for the road. He could wait for weeks on end but when he drinks, he takes such a quantity that he falls into a stupor and has to be helped to go home. You wonder where to classify him. Vomiting and sleeping on the road is not cool anyhow.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For a lot of people who fall dependant on alcohol, it's the loss of self respect that's the biggest issue and sometimes that's the hardest thing to get back.

I've known alcoholics to look and act like they always have. Look after themselves and the family, hold down a steady job and keep the respect of others, but sit them down one to one, and you can see its all just an act. They're lost inside and are just going through the motions of living.
  3. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

That is certainly a big indicator of having a drinking problem. Hopefully, you can begin to get off alcohol and repair those relationships. You don't want to lose friends over alcohol.
  4. Novelangel

Novelangel Active Contributor

Drinking is one thing, but drinking to the point of not knowing what you're doing, is quite another. I have never had a problem with people around me drinking themselves silly but I have always tried to maintain control over what I say and do, because one night of silliness and you are forever branded by that. Whether you remember the night in question or not, people will go out of their way to remind you of it for years to come. I think some people like seeing others in that state of drunkenness just so they can feel better about themselves or something. It's sad, really.