An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Lost anyone to heroin?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by amethyst, May 4, 2015.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I have lost several people to heroin. Two of them were neighbors of mine. Another was my art teacher. They all died in the same year, back in the late 80's when there was a particularly pure type of heroin going around my hometown. In that year, 17 people died from heroin in the region where I come from. I knew most of those people. In fact, at the time I was surprised to find out that some of them were heroin users. Later, I found out that for some of them it had been the first time ever that they had tried the drug, and they died due to its high concentration.
    It was a terrible year, and a lot of awareness was brought to the use of heroin. I remember reading about the dangers of heroin in every newspaper for a long time, and it certainly had a big impact on me.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Fortunately I haven't lost anybody to heroin abuse, I have known a couple of people that have recovered from the habit but even now they're not like their old self. It seems to be a drug that takes part of your soul away, for want of a better expression.
  3. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

I am a heroin addict and I know quite a few people who have died due to it. The thing is, a lot of people who OD mix alcohol or benzos with it. Which heroin already slows your heart rate down and then being drunk or on benzos with it just drops it even more. The only times I have OD'ed were when I was mixing it with those two. Now, I don't mix the two and I do a test shot if I get it from a new dealer just to be safe. I'm not saying that being addicted to heroin is safe by any means but there is harm reduction and a safer way to use.
  4. Sammy58

Sammy58 Member

I recently just lost a really good friend of mine Tuesday. I had just saw him after he got out of rehab. I'm struggling everyday to understand why this happens. He was a good person, who had a bad habit.
  5. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I personally haven't lost anyone to heroin but so many young people are dying in my area due to this drug. I just don't understand it. It seems like the overdose rate is astronomical.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Me neither, but I was about to die once upon injecting heroin. At the time, I was quite numb and didn't really care about me, I just lived my life and relied on momentary sensation to experience happiness. Fortunately, I managed to get back on my feet and see what truly mattered in life.
    Fortunately, I haven't lost anyone and also hope that no one from my family will ever take my bad example, as they don't have any founded reason for it.