An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Lost Time

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by adfnio, Apr 22, 2015.

1. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

How much time have you wasted on drinking alcohol. I think about it a lot. What could I have possibly achieve if I was doing something else then drinking and getting drunk. If I took the time to count, I'd say I lost months of time.

What do you think you could of done in the time spent drinking?
  2. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I have wasted time drinking it's true when I could've been productive with my art. I learned my lesson. Now I can't turn back the hands of time. But it's never too late.
    stariie likes this.
  3. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Not just time spent drinking, but time spent doing other things that weren't productive, high on pills, smoking weed, all kinds of stuff, hanging out with jerks.
    I really try not to sit and think about what I could have been doing, because there is no way that I can get that time back, but I do try and think about things that I can do now. I struggle with this though, because sometimes it is hard for me to stop thinking about the past and just move on and stay mentally in the present.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Over the years I'll have lost, well, probably years of my life due to needing a drink or being drunk.

It's only when you stop though that you can see just what effect it had on you.
  5. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I don't really consider those days drunk off my butt as "wasted time". I mean, I met a lot of beautiful people because I decided to go out to a bar or to a party instead of staying at home. I've been lucky enough to share great moments with people. Though, then again, my drinking has turned a good chunk of people away from me. I'm sure, there were a lot of times that I would consider drinking as a waste of time like whenever I drank alone at home. But I woun't generally categorize all of the time spent as wasted.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I could have spent my time productively on my studies rather than waste it on alcohol. I haven't lost that much, but I knew now that alcohol is never the answer to anything.
    Pafpartner likes this.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I could be spending more time on advancing at work. Most of the time I have a severe hangover and there is no room for improving myself.
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I, have lost many months and hours as well and think that the time could of been done something more productive and use time doing some work. I think alcohol can rob joy, and also time once gone it can not be regained back as time will move forward and how you spend it is very important as well. I could of used the time to do more jobs and also, do more studies as well and use the time for better things would of been better.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I also don't think it does any good to dwell though and think about what you should have done better with your time. That's in the past no e and you can't change that.

Just have to try and make sure you don't waste any more time in the future.
  10. Pafpartner

Pafpartner Member

Drinking too much alcohol can damage your relationships, affect your job performance, and cause various health problems. If you just decided that you should stop drinking alcohol, then you have made a very good decision. If you stop drinking alcohol, you can enjoy many benefits such as reducing your weight, preventing liver disease, avoiding hangovers, and preventing strokes. Here you will find some useful tips on how you can stop consuming alcohol without seeking professional help or taking medications. However, knowing how to stop consuming alcohol is not enough because you will need to be determined to quit drinking alcohol if you really want to succeed.

Useful Tips on How to Stop Drinking Alcohol......

The first thing you have to do if you really want to stop drinking alcohol is to turn yourself into a person who really wants to quit consuming alcohol. If you are only forcing yourself to stop because someone is forcing you to stop consuming alcohol or because your job demands you to quit consuming alcohol, then you have a slim chance of success. To really succeed in quitting alcohol, you need to do it because you want to and you are doing it for yourself. Quit drinking alcohol when you feel you are truly ready to do it and not because you are forced to do it. If you truly believe that you are doing it for yourself, then you are more likely to succeed and you are less prone becoming tempted and returning to your old habit.

You should also change your lifestyle if you want to stop consuming alcohol. Get rid of the alcohol cans and bottles inside your home. If you are having guests over at your home, remember that you don't always have to serve them wine, beer, or cocktail. You can serve them coke, lemonade, or tea so that you will avoid getting tempted to drink alcohol. If your friends are inviting you to a party where alcohol is being served, be brave and tell them that you will not be able to join them this time. Remember that your health is more important right now and don't worry about your social life for now.

Other Tips on How to Stop Drinking Alcohol...

According to experts, it is easier to stop consuming alcohol if you reward yourself for your efforts. Reward yourself with a prize for each day that you didn't drink alcohol. You can reward yourself with a bar of your favorite chocolate or a scoop of your favorite ice cream. Do not reward yourself with a can of beer or a glass of wine because those will only make it harder for you to stop consuming alcohol.

It will also be easier for you to quit consuming alcohol if you keep yourself busy during your free time. Go to the movies or exercise at the gym to prevent the temptation of consuming alcohol. Spend your drinking money on other things such as a cheap new bracelet or ring so that you won't have the money to buy alcohol.
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

About time, well, I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless we were talking about years. For me, what matters is the amount I spent on luxury drinks which cost me a 'fortune' and went away in an instant. I was quite oblivious while spending money, and time for this matter but... it is what it is.
  12. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I wasn't really a drunkard. But I would agree that it was still wasted time spending drinking for nothing or to ease my sadness. I could've done something productive and meaningful instead of wallowing myself in loneliness with booze.