An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

LOVE?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kcareconnections, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it can work for some people and for some it might be more destructive. Some people just don't have enough emotional maturity to handle it so it makes them even more erratic and irrational, whereas for some it can prove to be the wake up call that you speak of, wherein the person becomes so fulfilled that it allows them to recover. There are also some whom this may work for, then eventually they break up and it will just make them go back to their previous cycle, which is why I think it's still best to recover for yourself instead of for others.
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I've seen some people get sober for another when they've met someone new. Yeah that person needs to state what is expected or it could just continue. But yeah I do think that someone falling in love with someone that maybe balances them out and shows them that there is more to life than this kind of thing. Some people need a reason more than just for themselves. Some probably drink or do whatever because they are alone in the first place. Another person certainly can motivate an individual.
    Sometimes creative people are prone to needing a muse. I certainly am that way. Inspiration or a little life force charge. Being in love does do that to you.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If the addict is not yet "in love" with drugs to the point that they don't care anymore about the feelings of the people that care for them, then yes love can definitely make one want to change their addictive ways for the better, like in the case of your cousin. But some love drugs more, so they choose them and they get estranged from the people that care about them.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I struggle with this all the time because I keep reading on here about how love can change people. I always question my husband's love for me because he has gotten worse since we have been together. When I met him he was clean and slowly he has progressed to the point he is at now. It is worse then I have ever seen him. I love him and I always believed that love should make you want to be a better person that hasn't been the cause with us. I don't think love is enough sometimes, either that or he doesn't really love me and never really has. Sad to think that may be the case.
  5. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I think it can always go two ways. Good or bad. There is nothing wrong with falling in love and it gives us inspiration to be better for someone and to make that special proud of us. Love is very powerful. But if in the end he is broken hearted than that love can turn dangerous and help start up bad habits. Hopefully it won't though. I can only say I hope them all the best and long lasting relationship.
  6. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Very lovely story. I think love can cure many things and heal people. I just recently lost my grandfather a week ago and I can't help but think if the kids and I were around more he could have had something to look forward to. I kept telling him we were on our way up there in a few weeks but he passed away before we had a chance to go. I worry about it sometimes. Love can give you something to look forward to.
  7. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It definitely can, but sadly it isn't always the case. A lot of people just don't care about themselves or others enough to quit.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I didn't meet my husband until after I had been sober for a few years. But, in saying that, he keeps me on the right track. He supports me, and encourages me - and as a result, I want to remain on the sober path because I know he is supporting me all the way - and of course, I want to be the best person I can be for him and for our family! So yes - I'm sure the love and support of the right person can make a difference, but ultimately you have to want to change for yourself and your own life first and foremost.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Definitely. Having someone special in your life who absolutely loves and cares for you could help a person recover from his/her addictions. As for me, I never had any serious addiction in the past, but I admit, I was a little unmotivated about life before, but when I have finally fallen in love, I have eventually became a responsible adult with big goals.
  10. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Falling in love cannot help you to get away from addiction. However, if you are so much in love and do not want to hurt your love, you might be inspired to give up drugs provided your love does not like your addiction. Love can help, but love alone cannot help