An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Loving yourself

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Feb 15, 2015.

1. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Loving yourself is important because it develops self confidence. When you do love yourself you don't tolerate mess and you will fight for yourself to have a better life.
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It is an interesting subject. I had not really thought about it that much myself. I think some are enamored with themselves in some ways. Which is kind of sickening to see.
    Love yourself. "happy and proud of who you are." "you can't love others until you love who you are as a person." It is all just such an interesting concept to me. I think healthy love of oneself and others is key. Balance and fairness. Genuine love from those that are genuinely loving is the only thing that is real. I'm thinking that this statement about only being able to love others if you love yourself has caused some to go over the top with themselves. Something is blurred. I don't really necessarily agree with this inability to love until you love yourself thing. Each has to be open to being loved, give and receive. Loving yourself is a very different concept. Knowing yourself and treating yourself well would relate to that. Being proud or pride in oneself. This is the tricky one. ; the quality of having an excessively high opinion of one's self. : the consciousness of one's own dignity(the quality of being worthy of honor or respect)
    Thanks for posting this because now I am taking a deeper look at the subject. When you begin to define words and break things down you can understand more clearly. I am realizing that I have loved myself very much in my life. I guess I never put the two together because to love someone else to me is a very specific feeling that I never placed on how I "feel" towards myself. But it wasn't really how I felt about myself, it was how others made me feel about myself. Whether it was good or bad. But this would relate to "being proud of who you are." This is the key point of the subject, I think. Being proud of who and what you are because that is what you choose, but in a balanced and healthy way. Being humble about it. Let it emanate not be like a billboard advertisement. Cause some heavily romanticize themselves with being so great when there is so much that shows that they are not. Presence and the state of being "love" is something that just radiates from that person or those people. A couple. I remember someone saying something about someone that I've known. All we had to be was in the same room together and it just was. It's about being open and giving.
  3. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I don't know if I am allowed to share external link, however, I have published an article on my website that is titled "50 Reasons to Love Yourself?" This article is published on wellbeingezine.com.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I still don't love myself all the time. I definitely like who I am now, but I still think I am capable of loving others. I do think it does make it easier though when you're in a good headspace to be able to give love to other people.
  5. fergilicious

fergilicious Member

Loving one's self is very essential for confidence in life. Anyone who doesn't love himself can't love even his parents, talk less of loving any other person.
    Self respect makes others respect you. It keeps you far away from low self esteem. You'll be able to look anyone in the eyes and tell them what you want, what your right is.
    Confidence in yourself is very different from arrogance.