An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

LSD psychosis

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Nonn, May 7, 2015.

1. Nonn

Nonn Member

Anyone else out there permanently changed from LSD use?

I had a bad trip 10 years ago and have never been the same. My thoughts are scattered and I can't think in an organized way.
  2. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Wow, 10 years ago and it still affects you? What happened?
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I don't think LSD is your problem. It's really easy to blame it on LSD, rather than getting down to the real issue. But LSD may have long term effects IF you eat 40 at a time, or eat it non stop for years. But not one bad trip. At most it'll change your point of view on various issues. But not what you're talking about. LSD is in your system and then its completely gone.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

There used to be the belief that LSD would stay in your spinal cord fluid for years, but this was proven to be false. If you were not an avid user, then any side effects should be gone after 10 years. I recommend that you should see a doctor because there could be other chemical changes going on in your brain that is making you not be able to think straight.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I've never personally taken LSD, but know a number of people who have and who still do. I know of one case where a guy I have known for over 10 years lost his mind during an LSD trip. He has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and resides most of the time in a mental institution. It was a big shock for his wife and two children, who can't recognize him anymore. And for that matter, he doesn't recognize them either.
    I think for someone who has a predisposition to some mental disorder, there is a much higher likelihood for him or her to develop long lasting problems from the ingestion of LSD.
  6. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I think he was probably schizophrenic to begin with. Like it was stated before, LSD does not have that sort of effect on anyone. Once its gone, the trip is over. I've know people who have eaten LSD and then figured out they're gay, became a jesus freak, or a guy who drank a vile and couldn't read anymore. The people who find out they're gay are typically the only person who didnt already know. The Jesus freaks already believed it just took a little fright to convince them they need to be better followers. And the guy who suddenly couldn't read seems to forget about the motorcycle accident he had where they had to scrape his brains off the pavement. None of these people were genuinely changed or brain damaged because they tripped acid.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Of course, there has to be a predisposing condition for mental illness or psychotic tendencies. Drugs will enhance only what is already there. So, I guess, it would be a good idea for those who know that they have some mental issues, not to participate in any kind of substance in order to stay balanced. In fact, a lot of people do just that. They know instinctively that drugs could completely throw them overboard.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

LSD and any drug stays for decades. It needs to be detoxed out. Otherwise the residuals will haunt you in many different ways. It is just like anything else. Any kind of PTSD associated with it will be more likely to surface. Anxiety or traumas associated with would also surface causing problems.