An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Lying/Attention-Seekers

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by primalclaws1974, Jan 6, 2015.

1. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

One of my aunts husband is like that they broke up it has been two months now, there were problems but he mostly portrays himself as the loving husband and one who had to suffer due to his wife arguing with him a lot. He still does not admit he told her to get out of the house when he says how it happened it was get out of the room not the house and changes stories around. Some people may not want to admit they are wrong or may have a feeling if they tell the truth will have to deal with yelling and lot of questions asked so do lying to hide their problems and works for most of the people and for some it does not depending on how good they are at keeping the lie going on.
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I know several people who have Bi-Polar Disorder but none of them are like this, so I don't think it's a result of their disorder. They would probably lie and seek attention just as much even if they didn't have Bi-Polar Disorder. On the other hand, many people with Borderline Personality Disorder, or other similar disorders, are often misdiagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder.
  3. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Some people lie about everyting, even the most basic of things such as what they ate. This is ridiculous and does not even make sense. I find this most irritating and know someone like this. When I catch them out, they just ignore me and carry on as though nothing happened! I do believe people lie to get attention and the more you give them the bigger the lie becomes. Some people do not know the difference between fantasy and reality.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

People who tend to lie every single time is not merely attention-seekers, they probably have mental difficulties because consistent lying is totally not awesome. Maybe some of us lie once in a while, but that is because you think lies are much better than truth or you think it would do something good. But lying almost every day is really alarming already. They must seek help right away.
  5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I caught a former co-worker of mine who was basically going around and taking credit for all the work I had been doing at my job. I was managing our paid search accounts for several years, when we were spending close to $1MM per month, and among the largest advertisers on Google's AdWords platform at the time. He started putting on his Linkedin profile that *he* was on the "paid search team" at our job, insinuating that he was running these accounts. He never touched a single thing on any of those accounts, nor did he even have access to them. To make matters worse, our company got acquired, and he kiss-assed his way into getting sectrely interviewed by the new company that was acquiring us for the role I should have been interviewed for and offered. Then this dipshit has the nerve to send me a request on Linkedin to be connected with me, after I removed him the first time around.

Another friend of mine, was always bragging about how much money her ex-husband made - he run's a small demolition company. Their house is a total dump, falling apart and not even worth $20k - yet she was always claiming he was rolling in dough, making over $400,000 a year. He can't even pay child support on time, and is a crack addict, and she tries to act like she some Real Housewives type rich person.
  6. grandmaof4

grandmaof4 Member

Lying can be part of an addiction. Say for instance someone has a gambling problem, loses money, and lies about what happens to the money. The lying to cover up his problem is part of the addiction. It then becomes more and more of an cycle to keep the real addiction hidden.

It can be considered an addiction when one gets the high from telling a lie and getting away with it. Just like with alcohol, or a drug.

Lying is also called an disorder. According to the information on www.lovetoknow.com," Treatment for Compulsive Lying". There are different types of disorders, with different treatment options.
  7. grandmaof4

grandmaof4 Member

Sounds like he was trying to entertain you all, and to see how you reacted from his stories. Especially since he did not try to make himself look better. Maybe someone should of suggest he became a writer if he was good at the storytelling.
  8. grandmaof4

grandmaof4 Member

I know of a few people who will say they have a significant other to keep others (like family, or friends) from trying to set them up on blind dates. There are apps now that you can create that special someone and they even send you texts, along with other neat quirks. For some it is easier to have a make believe other person than deal with other people's comments, or meddling.
  9. grandmaof4

grandmaof4 Member

Yes, I believe they get addicted to it. Maybe not at first but it's like any addiction if you keep doing it and like the results even if you know its wrong eventually you will become addicted and not know how to stop, or in some cases I think they do not even realize they are doing it until it's to late.

One definition for addiction is: The condition of being habitually occupied with or involved in something. Sourced from the yahoo.com dictionary.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have heard and read something about it already. Maybe this kind of app is created by someone who needs such virtual special someone. :p
  11. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

You are right, ther are those pathological liars! who haeve become so addicted to lying, they lie so much that they can barely tell the truth part of their lives from the fake part of their lives, this ones are so addicted to lies that they believe their lies do exist.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You are correct - a pathological liar should not be confused with a compulsive liar. They are two different things. A compulsive liar may become addicted to telling lies but they know they are telling lies and they usually do it for attention. A pathological liar, on the other hand, continues to lie to cover up their older lies and lies so much that they convince themselves that their lies are the truth - they believe their own lies. Compulsive liars do not believe their own lies.
  13. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

I keep lying. Once you tell a lie, and then another, and then another, it's very habit-forming, and soon, it's not really a big deal to you. You just don't think about it. Ugh. I don't want this to develop into a disorder, so I'll try to tell the truth more. But it's tempting to lie. When it's the easy way out. When it's just a little white lie...and then another.
  14. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

You get to the point where you can only see just how far the rabbit hole goes. Liars have entrenched themselves in a pit of lies so deep that it has actually become their reality. What I mean by this is that everybody around them only knows their lies, so they believe it to be the real them. Hence, they must continue lying. It's a slippery slope which they put themselves on.
  15. grandmaof4

grandmaof4 Member

Vespid49, that is very true. Someone will lie so much about something that they think it's the actual truth.

How about someone who tries to convince you that you told them something you would do, or give them and you know a 100% that you did not say anything like that. For instance some says you told them you would give them something and you never said anything like that. But they keep on insisting you said it and really try to make you believe you did.
  16. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

It depends on each individual, but for most people who lie a lot and make up stories do it for attention. There is something in their lives that they are not happy with and try to make their life seem better than what it actually is.
  17. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

This and plus there are definitely people who know they are getting attention from their stories so they continue to do it. I used to work with this guy named Ricardo and for some reason he just wants to lie and exaggerate everything he says just so someone can say "WHOA! REALLY? Details, please." I used to be caught up in that but now I know he just does it cause he's craving attention.
  18. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

The worst part is surrounding yourself with people like this and then it instills a sense of paranoia in you and you simply stop believing anyone at all. This is what happened to me. Compulsive lying is just another unsupervised habit that you failed to nip out of ignorance or fear.
  19. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

This is what I hate to hear when someone is lying to me. I knew some acquaintances who are liars in their own ways but they would not admit it to themselves even they are already discovered always telling a lie. I pity these people because they will not have peace of mind within themselves. I think some people had this attitude of lying because they want other people not to look down upon them and to always believe in them to whatever reason they might have for them to tell a lie..
  20. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

What drives me even more crazy is when people lie in a baggy way to make their life or situation seem more important than what it really is. Those who claim to have more money or better circumstances than everyone else. Really annoys me to no end. They do it because they want to appear as though their life is better than everyone elses.