An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Lying/Attention-Seekers

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by primalclaws1974, Jan 6, 2015.

1. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I would absolutely say it is an addiction.
    I've had some deep heart to hearts with a person close to me (actually, my daughter's father) who struggles with this and is a compulsive liar. He admitted to me he gets a "high" or a "rush" similar to when he did drugs when he is getting away with a lie or telling a whopper of a story. Sounds like an addiction to me!
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I've known a few liars in my life, some compulsive, one who may have been pathological. I'm a little wary of calling it an addiction, but if it is, it's a behavioral one. I tend to think of it more as a habit gone horribly wrong, but that could be because I've known more compulsive than pathological liars. And there can be a lot of overlap with other disorders. I do know that they seem to get a thrill from lying, so I can see the parallels.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think more than an addiction, these people have a personality disorder or problem. They think the world revolves about them. I know a lot of people like this. It is hard to be understanding towards them but sometimes you just have to be the bigger person and let things go.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Definitely. I've encountered quite a few people who share the traits that you describe. They are usually the types that are not very successful in life, they make up these stories to compensate for this. Others are simply narcissistic and need to be the center of attention. They just can't stand the idea of people not hanging onto their every word.
  5. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

I think these people just feel the need to have something to say. They start it just because they want to look important and then it grows and grows until they are telling these stories that are so ridiculous that there is no ay anyone would believe them. I don't know if I would define it as an addiction, but who knows? Maybe they get some sort of feeling from it that makes them feel satisfied?
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I had an uncle like that who would lie about everything. Everything story he told was so big and exciting. He lied so much that we never believed a word he said because we figured everything was lies. It was hard to know what the truth was and what wasn't. He would tell the story so often that I swear he was convinced that it really happened that way. The more he told it the bigger it got. lol I think he was lonely and was just seeking out attention. He wanted to be liked and to be made a lot of. Sadly he has passed away now but I always felt bad for him.
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It is not an addiction, but a behavioral disorder. They are not addicted to lying and making up stories, they are addicted to things that feed their ego and make them feel better about themselves for a couple of seconds. And these "sufferers" often believe that they are completely fine, and do not realize the words which escape their mouth. One should explain them this is wrong, and guide them into seeking some help.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It's definitely a disease, I know because my mom is a pathological liar and she lies almost compulsively. Sometimes she lies over small insignificant things or little details, sometimes she goes big. But not so much lately, because she knows I no longer fall for that. She now it's very hard for me to fall in one of her lies, so I guess she is now focusing on lying about smaller things. I'd not say she is addicted, she is just sick, I think.... maybe some sort of mania.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think this could be an addiction. The thing about non stop liars is it's hard to believe any thing they say. If someone is in the habit of doing this they rarely just stop. I always look at facts to check behind compulsive liars.
    If only we had a way to know who was telling the truth or not. The world would be a simpler place every ones nose grew when they lied like Pinocchio.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

When you lie, you do it because you know the truth. It is a conscious decision to act such a way and sometimes I would love to call constant liars as having some type of disease but they need to be held responsible like everyone else.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Is she a compulsive liar or a pathological liar? There's a difference. A compulsive liar cannot help lying, usually for attention, and they know when they are lying. A pathological liar, on the other hand, is someone who actually believes their own lies and is therefore self-delusional.
  12. Tremmie

''Medical Definition of PATHOLOGICAL LIAR. : an individual who habitually tells lies so exaggerated or bizarre that they are suggestive of mental disorder.''

To be honest i think both, at least according to the definition I just pasted here.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Well, it's a controversial topic, that's for sure. Under the DSM, pathological lying is a symptom of many personality disorders. Whilst it is habitual and compulsive, there is still a vague difference between a pathological liar and a compulsive liar. Technically, a pathological liar may or may not know that they are lying whereas a compulsive liar always knows when they are lying. The difference is that pathological liars lie so compulsively that they end up convincing themselves that some of their lies are true.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathological_lying
  14. Tremmie

Honestly? Maybe both definitions are right. I do think the one that posted comes closer to what I see in my mom though... because the definitions you gave me don't really fit the bill. So I stick to that definition I posted. Because it indeed sounds a lot like her and other ''pathological'' liars I have met. But then again, I'm no psychologist, but growing with a mother like that have given me plenty of ''field experience''.
  15. Dasjdas2

Dasjdas2 Member

These type of people really get on my last nerve. I tend to let them continue to lie when I know that is all it is. I know so many people like this to it is just ridiculous. Sometimes I have to tell them that they are full of it, especially if it is dealing with something we have both seen. I hate to admit it but I am in a relationship now where all he does is lie. However, I am waiting on the right time to excuse him from my life, as I was not raised like this.