An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Mac Miller

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by philthegoat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. philthegoat

philthegoat Active Contributor

Greetings once again my fellow humanoids. Today I've got just a few facts, about Mac miller, for you.
    Mac Miller was in the third grade when he smoked his first cigarette. Now, people usually expect rappers to start doing rebellious things early in their life, but I think that to start in the third grade is quite crazy.
    Just two years later, Mac smoked weed for his first time. That was in the fifth grade.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Wow that's really early. I think I might have started smoking cigarettes in high school. Kids these days grow up way faster and learn quicker then they used to. I'm not really surprised that in this day and time someone that young would know about weed or cigarettes.
  3. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I don't know if you guys have ever heard of this Indonesian boy who became a chain smoker at the age of 2. He was smoking about 2 packs of cigarettes per day. I really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him on the news a few years back. As a parent, it was hard for me to even look at that boy smoking at such a young age. At the end of the day, the main people to blame at this kind of scenario are the parents of children who expose and allow their children to smoke and do vices.
  4. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I think its sad that he wasnt being monitored by his family at that age. But it is also a reminder that he isn't the only one like that. If I saw a child smoking a cigarette I would not be a bystander and allow it. Sad but true story.
  5. philthegoat

I agree with @akiram13. The child's parents should not be allowing their child to smoke at such a young age. That can cause a real danger to their body by the time they are twenty. I would never let any child that young, or a child at all, to smoke. It just isn't right. The parents seem to be the ones to be blamed as well for letting their child do this. Surely something should have been done by now though.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

That is just craziness and child abuse. Over here you hear about parents letting their child smoke pot at an early age. I mean, they are just nuts. Parents like that don't deserve to be parents in my opinion. OF course they might be high themselves, and have no clue what they are doing.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've seen that child on the news, or some TV program (it was a few years back now) and I was flabbergasted. It looked bizarre to see such a small child basically just chain smoking and seeming so "natural" looking at it (in reality it's anything but natural, but his behavior was like an adult smoker rather than a child).
    gracer likes this.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The amount of influence parents - adults in general - have on children is huge. If older folks are not careful with their actions, it's easy for little kids to just mimic their actions without questioning if they're right or wrong. At an age where they can't exercise discernment yet, it's easy for them to fall into a habit which they may regret having formed when they get older. Adults have a very huge responsibility and shouldn't carelessly live their lives without thinking about others, especially the younger generation.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I was also very shocked when I saw him on the news before. Imagine, he was only 2 years old and he was already smoking like a full grown adult. I really wasn't able to stand the sight of the kid smoking like a chimney and his parents didn't even do anything to stop him from smoking.
  10. philthegoat

I really don't understand how the parents actually allow their baby to do such things. My question is, does the baby know and understand what he or she is doing? Maybe the parents forced it upon the child in it's primal days. A chain smoking baby is a very sad thing to hear about and see. I can't imagine that the parents feel proud of their offspring for that. Surely other people have said something to the parents by now as well? I really hope something has been done about it already.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Yep! I feel like we must have watched the same program (or similar) about it. I remember the reporter saying that the child throws massive, massive tantrums if he doesn't have a certain number of cigarettes a day...it's so sad really. I wish someone would intervene!
  12. philthegoat

Do any of you know if the video is up on the Internet? I sure would live to watch it so that I can see first hand what's going on. Also, how long ago was this on the news?
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think it largely depends on the environment of the person, if that person is exposed to such substances then for sure they will try it especially when their parents aren't around to guide them. I myself smoked cigarettes when I was 11 due to my friend's influence.
  14. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

That's a really young age for start smoking! But as few others users mentioned before it depends on your environment, there's people who are using drugs at that age, or even younger around the world, and it's heartbreaking because they're just kids, I hope this can change someday.
  15. Markblogger12

Markblogger12 Member

How would you approach a child who you observe smoking at a young age who isn't yours or someone you know? People don't tend to respond well being told how to raise their child by a complete stranger.