An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Make a "Would-Love-To-Do" List

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I saw this on a blog and thought it could be a good way to get some inspiration if you are fighting an addiction or thinking about fighting an addiction.

Resolutions pressure you to do something and failure will sting hard. To avoid all that instead of listing down resolutions it would be better to create a list of things you'd like to get done. Like I said this list can inspire you to try to get the things done.

Thoughts?
    kassie1234 likes this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

This was actually a big part of my recovery. I knew there were things I wanted to get out of life, and I knew that if I stayed on the track that I was on that I couldn't achieve what I wanted to. One of the biggest things was traveling and seeing the world. If I was spending all my money on booze then that was never going to happen.

Wising up and setting goals/things I wanted to do was a huge thing for me. It still is - it's what motivates me in life! :)
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's a great idea! I would definitely create a "would-love-to-do" list before 2016 comes. This would not only keep me from resorting to bad habits, but it would also make me even more productive, and fulfilled.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When going through recovery I think a lot of people will start to wonder why they're going through what they're doing when things start to get too hard.

Having a list of your goals will help to refresh the ideas you have and keep you on track. Give you a reason to carry on and not give up.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Working on one right now. The first thing is to start my own mini-gym at my house, with weights, machines and all that jazz. I want to be fit in 2016 and start being healthier, hopefully I can achieve it!
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

This is a great idea. It is always nice to have something to look forward to. I think a list like this would be beneficial to so many people.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

"would love to do list", bucket list..Yes its a really good idea. New Year's resolutions, so many people try to do that and toss it to the wind by February. I kind of do something like this at any time of the year. Making a good habit stick shouldn't start at a certain date to me. Like these people that say I'll start next month, next week, after the weekend, or whatever. Just do it and do it now.
    Writing it down, yes that is a good way to take a look at ideas instead of letting them float around in your head.
    A resolution is interesting actually. The decision to do or not to do something. Its not just a sting that occurs when someone breaks a resolution with themselves. Its mentally damaging. Being kind and reasonable with yourself is best. Allow some leeway. Depending upon what it is try to come up with a back up plan to keep you on track.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I actually just started to make a "would love to do list" because I get all of these ideas in my head about things I would love to do and sometimes forget about them. I see things online I would love to do and places I would like to eventually go to.
    Rainman likes this.
  9. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I want to escape this state of mind I let my self to be in. It is more than addiction to something, it is pure sadness and indifference to life. I have so much on my mind, so many things I want to do but first I will need some stable income and than just to take it slow from ground zero. I want to begin a new life on my own and feel free to do things without pressure of others. I need some peace in my life and I need some love. My list is not very demanding but still, I will have to fight for what I want.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think a resolution or a to do list is a great idea, but recovering addicts should not be pressured to achieve their goals since if they fail they might get discouraged. The best thing to do about it is to take baby steps and take it one goal at a time.
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am a big dreamer and so a list of things I would like to do is important to me. I can decide later what ultimately comes of the list, but I want to be able to refer back to things I want to do. It is like a writing topic list that writers use to generate ideas, accept for the fact this is a fun and adventures list of sorts.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes I think it is a good idea.Instead of writing down things that you would not do (resolutions), it is more positive sounding to write down what you would love to do. That could be a check list and seeing it being checked one by one could give a feeling of happiness or fulfillment. :)
  13. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Hmmm...I may be in the opposite camp. I think rebranding a resolution as a "Would Love to Do" list is fine if it helps people not feel as pressured, but at the same time I don't think we should let ourselves off the hook in any way if there is truly something in our lives that needs to change (and that is in our control).
  14. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

Taking a more positive approach to resolutions, is what you actually suggested here, and it seems perfectly reasonable, and makes you more optimistic. It can motivate you stronger to set forward and actually each day, tick off one thing from the list. It can provide you with an outlook that is both very positive and also very practical. If you include people around you, who are a part of your recovery, then it is even better.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

This sounds similar to that "New Year's Resolutions" list people usually do. It's not a bad idea, I can see it would be very satisfying ticking an item on that list after you accomplish it. I have a "to-do" list from three or four years ago and it's surprising to see how much I've changed since them. Still, some things stayed the same.
  16. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I like this idea and might use it for myself. I like the fact that this is a list that gives you a vision of something to look forward which can make reaching a goal a little easier.