An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Make art a way to feel better.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by OriMerchan, Nov 16, 2015.

1. OriMerchan

OriMerchan Member

It is very hard to fight against anxiety, so I wanted to share with you how art helped me.

First of all there are a lot of art types like music, drawing, writing, etc. Everyone can try the one that they prefer. I use two of them to make me feel better or relaxed when I'm not or just for fun and passing time. I sing in a choir and I draw.
    Both of them help me to forget my problems and feel better. I take drawing lessons which help express myself and to have a quiet and nice moment. I concentrate a lot while doing it and the satisfaction I feel when I finish a drawing is indescribable. Also I'm in a choir, the practices are nice because I share with other persons and that's good because I create new friends. The concerts are just the best of it because we show others the results of our efforts and with time we get always better.

I think that if persons who have anxiety or any kind of problem involve in something artistic they may find a new way to escape of the problems and feel better after some time. What do you think?
  2. PLP Rob

PLP Rob Active Contributor

@OriMerchan — 100% agree. I'm a writer and part of my anxiety is feeling dread about starting the day's writing. Sometimes the anxiety builds and builds and I go days without writing a word, but the amazing thing is that every time I sit myself down and force myself to start, I always go and go, usually for hours, and I always feel better afterwards. I think one thing art can do for us is to help us release thoughts and feelings without judging them (or ourselves). Easier said than done, but achieving it feels incredible. It's been said that art imitates life, and vice versa, but more than that, they complement each other. Best to you.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've heard a lot of people talking about the benefits of artistic pursuits in helping a manner of mental illness issues - anxiety and depression predominantly. Lately here, there's been a lot of buzz around adult coloring books - I find that even doing a page out of one of those books just gets me focused on something else and it's helpful for me!
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I also agree with you regarding art as an escape or diversion of people who have anxiety or drug problems simply because it diverts their mind from those negative habits and emotions, and they are kept busy as well too. So I encourage people to either take up art lessons or try also playing a musical instrument.
  5. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

My wife has gotten into this adult coloring craze.
    She finds it very relaxing.
    I liked it better when her art was baking!
    But probably better for my health she makes a lot less baked goods now.
    L_B likes this.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Literature, art, and music have always kept me sane and focused in this mad world. There's actually a Facebook page I really love visiting which features art and poetry. It's called "berlin-artparasites." You may want to check their page out.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've done some art in the past, creating 3D models. Once you get started, you lose touch with reality. I think someone dealing with anxiety or someone who is stressed or battling depression could find it helpful. Writing can also be great as long as you aren't doing the sort of writing that reminds you of what it is you are fighting. Some fun writing [there are lots of writing challenges on the net] could work just as well.
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

A lot of people are getting to the adult coloring books. They have some really nice ones out there. That is what I am planning of getting my daughter and niece for Christmas. They are both adults with a lot of stresses in their lives and I know they would benefit from something like that. People have recommended it to me to deal with my anxiety. I haven't gotten one yet but I do color with my grand daughter when she comes to visit. It think that it is great. I also like to write my thoughts through poetry. I am not great at it but I enjoy doing it.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is true. I've used different forms of art to side step certain things when needed. It is really therapeutic. Artistic people just seem to need it too.
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I think that they make fantastic gifts! Don't forget the pencil crayons too!
    The great thing I think about coloring is really anyone can do it and get good results.
    I can't even draw stick figures but If I focus I can colour very well.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Any form of art will help people that are going through recovery in their life, and most of the time it will be the only thing that keeps them sober.

People have to try a few different forms of art just to see which one works best for them, some are lucky and find that they have a range of talents they never realised.
  12. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Would music count as a form of art? Music is something I use continuously to create a positive environment for myself. I find myself getting lost to it. If I could choose any addiction, it'd be music since it's so completely harmless and brings nothing but the good in me. Being artistic is such a positive experience in general. There is nothing bad coming out of it and it gets your mind to concentrate on something beneficial.
  13. sapphire82

sapphire82 Member

You are managing your condition well. Keep it up. Art therapy and music therapy are good therapies anyone can do. I, for one, wants to learn how to paint. In the future, I want to join an art class. I like painting. I love mixing colors.
  14. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Art is a beautiful thing and words cannot mirror the respect, awe and passion I have for it. Without it, life would be dull, and we would all behave like robots. Music helped me a lot through my recovery and beyond. It makes me feel happy and free, and the only limit is the sky. It's the best therapy ever found.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Art is really good for people because it is about self expression . There are many forms of art out there, so most people can figure out where they fit in. I love that you can pour all of your heart and feelings into creating something. Art is the most meaningful when it comes from your heart.
  16. xeylonfm

xeylonfm Member

Art is powerful, art is a language, art is proactive creation, art is fulfilling and it as a manifestation of the soul….you can describe art in so many ways that we could end up with a to-be-printed novel. There is something very unique in artwork that we are drawn to. If given a photograph and a painting of the same image, the audience may not even notice the photograph because art is attractive hands down. Now how about developing the art yourself? Art comes from deep don’t the soul like a creative faculty unleashing its potential. It may be singing, it may be writing, it may be beadwork, it may be playing an instrument, but then it takes time and rare form of attention that taps into the depth of an individual. Art awakens the inner self and can really help fight drug problems. Not even that, it is a good way to feel better. So engage in art to feel refreshed and accomplished. You don’t need to reach the professional/career level, but just enough to fulfil yourself.