An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Make lifestyle changes

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 16, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

You need to make lifestyle changes if you are to successfully ditch your addictions. You can't hang out with the same people, in the same places, doing the same things as you were before and expect this time things will turn out differently. You need something new, something fresh, to help give you a new outlook on life.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Definitely. It's the same thing with dieting. You can't expect to permanently overcome a problem with temporary solutions. I've said before in another thread that I didn't quit living the way I did until I moved to the other side of the country. If I hadn't have made that decision, I could very well be dead.
    stariie likes this.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

If your lifestyle is what got you into the mess, then there is obviously some cleaning up to do. If you regularly meet with a group of people that use, it is safe to say that it will be tough to stop using when everbody else is. So, lifestyle changes deffinitely need to be in the program. Old habbits are not easy to break, but the change will come slowly.
  4. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

The first step you should do is to surround yourself with people who simply have good lifestyles. They have good attitudes, a positive outlook on life, and a special striving for success. If you hang out with people like this, you'll eventually be inspired and encouraged to do the same.

Before you know it, your lifestyle, attitude, and perspective in life with alter in a good way. Just be persistent, because change doesn't come overnight.
  5. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

You absolutely have to make lifestyle changes. It is the current lifestyle that got you in the trouble your in. Its ok to start over. It could make the biggest difference in the world. It will be hard but so well worth it.
  6. matt1rl

matt1rl Member

This is some great advice. You definitely need to replace old, bad habits with new ones. When you quit doing whatever it is you are addicted to you will see how much more time in your day you have. We fail to notice how many hours are spent each day searching for, and buying our drug of choice. Not to mention the amount of time we spent high! When you finally kick the bad habit there are so many hours in your day that used to be filled with all these negative things! Creating a positive life and having healthy hobbies is so important.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

It's simple. Keep doing the same things, keep getting the same results. So it goes without saying that if a person is dealing with an addiction and wants to get themselves clean it is imperative that they change their live style. Change the environment, where necessary distant yourself from people influencing you negatively and generally start taking care of you. A fresh new approach is what is required and things will/should turn out differently.

I am in full agreement with you JulianWilliams.
  8. Thestoryteller1

Thestoryteller1 Active Contributor

Nice topic. I always used to say (well, in my good moments anyway) "if you want your life to change, make a change". it will be a step, but the right step tends to pull in another and another. You can't wait on life to happen and hope it will give you what you need. You have to go out and get it. And if you had everything and lost it- you can't get back to it in a day, you have to make it in small steps, piece by piece.
  9. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I love the part about moving. Moving away from a problem can be so cathartic. I was in a bad relationship, and even though I broke up with the person, we still lived in the same vicinity. It wasn't until I moved all the way to the other side of town, and eventually to another city altogether, did I fully break away from the negativity, the drugs, the drinking, the drama. Felt so exhilarating, moving felt like there was freedom to breathe.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I agree. That's why people who've been through a lot - be it addiction, depression or chaotic family background - are apt to move somewhere, away from relatives, friends and people who know them (or who might influence them the wrong way). They seek new environments so they can start with a clean slate. In a new place where hardly anyone knows who they once were, they can become better versions of themselves.
    Rainman likes this.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Moving away [when it's possible] certainly is the surest way to start over anew if you really are serious about letting go of the past, its addictions and toxic friends. If you can't move away [I understand there are many reasons why one could find it impossible to leave the city they've lived in for a long time] then by all means cut out [from your life] all the friends that would drag you down with them.
  12. Plus

Plus Member

I entirely agree. I moved out of my town to start fresh without distractions to start my journey. I don't have many friends although I lead a nice, simple and clean life. I'm perfectly happy with that though.
    I ended up drowning a lot of my 'relapse' moments with either video games or even writing down my thoughts or creating poems and stories. Anything that allows me to either vent or escape the thoughts really helps me out when I need it.
    Rainman likes this.
  13. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

They say that there is no permanent thing in this world except...CHANGE... It is not too late to change something that makes us miserable and that leads us to the wrong path of life. A change in lifestyle will eventually helps us to start something new, move on and to continue the things we are doing in our life. If we fall down there is no reason why we should not stand and walk straight to the right path again.
  14. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

While it is easy to say that you can make a lifestyle change, it is a lot harder than what you think. You will always have your old friends trying to pull you back into the addiction. So you will struggle with this quite a bit and this can be an issue that you may not be able to overcome.
  15. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

If our past and old life has only brought us misery and negative things in our life, then it is only right that we leave it behind and change for the better. We should start making a change in everything that we did before and focus on making positive actions which will benefit our recovery process. Even though we had fun in the past and had established friends, we must think what would benefit us the most in having to build a new and positive life. We can always build new friendships and better things to do anytime. Let us burn the bridges behind and make way for a brand new path which will lead us to a happier, contented and fulfilling life.
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Out with the old, in with the new. Of course you are going to have to let go of the old ways so you don't fall back into old habits. New changes means new ways of living. If you hold on to your old ways, I would imagine that addiction and trouble is bound to happen. Relapse is almost certain.
  17. kwoodard902

kwoodard902 Member

Absolutely, You need to change most things in your life. If you keep doing the things you always used to do, your bound to fail. I would say most people that relapse do so because of what/who they are surrounded by. Be strong and learn to say no and mean it.
  18. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I think that some people truly can hang out in the same places with the same people and stay clean. But I agree that IN THE BEGINNING it's best not to risk it.

I've always admired those alcoholics that can go play pool at bars and not be tempted to drink. Sadly, I am not one of them though.
  19. Recovery101

Recovery101 Member

As with all addiction making a conscious effort to control one behavior is extremely important. This of course comes out in the way that they behave and in their lifestyle changes. Addiction and recovery does not mean you have so stop socializing and separating yourself from the places where temptation might exist, but it means that if you are to exceed in recovering from an addiction you must pay careful attention to the triggers that can cause cravings and try to avoid such.
  20. kwoodard902

kwoodard902 Member

My husband is an alcoholic, unfortunately he isn't able to do so either. We just try to stay away from alcohol all together. He doesn't hang out with the people he used to. I wish he could but some people do not respect the fact he is no longer drinking. Hopefully he will find some friends who understand soon.