An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Making Progress

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by trueknowledge, Feb 26, 2015.

1. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

I believe that seeing your progress is the best inspiration and motivation to stay clean. It may just be me personally but seeing the progress I've made just makes me want to see more progress. Ruining that progress would just not be worth it, and it keeps me going.
    Nadeshiko and Winterybella like this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

That's true. Knowing that you are actually achieving something which at one time seemed impossible could give you the impetus to keep fighting harder. While behavioral change can be viewed as an indication of progress, it's better, I believe to measure your success with simple things like how many hours, days, etc you have gone by without using drugs.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

That makes perfect sense. It's why we're told to set small, reachable goals, when we want to accomplish something. Each goal met (or length of time sober) gives us encouragement to continue on that path. I think we have to praise ourselves for meeting each one of those goals as well. Even a small goal can be a big step.
    Winterybella likes this.
  4. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I am always inspired when I am reading success stories of people who came from hardships and failures in life. I am just wondering me too I can succeed to reach my goals in life just like them who had struggled just to attain what they are aiming for in their life. And it is true that If you see yourself making progress while traveling the road to success it is not only an inspiration but a great motivation too to continue your progress.
  5. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Oh yes, definitely. It's a good motivation to see that your efforts are paying of little by little and that you are on your way to your ultimate goal. That's why most recovery centers always begin every session by discussing your progress so far and then what else needs to be done. It's a good way to push you further and continuously commit to change.
    Zyni likes this.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

This is great to read. It makes so much sense. Already so many can relate to what you are saying. For me when I come here and read of a person's progress, I am very encouraged. Even though I might not be dealing with an addiction, it still also helps me to deal with other things that might be going on in my own life. Progress should be a motivation to all persons. Thank you for reminding me to be motivated by my progress.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  7. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Noticing the improvement is definitely a great incentive to keep pushing on. It's hard maintaining your desire to achieve progress if results don't start manifesting quickly. It takes patience. The results will come. I am so happy for you that you've already become witness to these results. And that's what makes it all worth while.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's one good motivation. When you look back over the past, see your progress along the way, and realize how much effort you have already put out throughout your recovery, of course, you will feel fulfilled, and somehow, it makes you want to continue your journey towards being clean and sober.
  9. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

And the flip side to that is a phrase in 12-step programs, "progress, not perfection." I tend to see how far I have to go rather than how far I've come. Currently I'm suffering from 1 of my obsessions-trying to do 3 home improvement projects at once. Ugh. Perhaps right now I definitely need to focus on the progress.
  10. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

The wise men have said, "What gets measured, gets improved." So, it's a must to have a daily record of everything that you are trying to improve. The very thought of making progress and ruining it later on gives me goosebumps!
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good for you that you are appreciating your progress and using that for inspiration or motivation to keep going better. I think that is a great thing and keep it up. Seeing progress should really make someone do more to get more progress.
  12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Be careful with this idea. Sometimes the worst part of ourselves shows its ugly face when we are most comfortable day to day. Steady sobriety is actually more important than the progress alone. I'm glad you're doing well but be careful when the waters are calm. We can lower our guards to our addiction when complacent.
  13. 003

003 Community Champion

Yes, it's really important to keep tract on your progress, but be careful because often progress wouldn't be so fast, and just when you thought you have done so much, yet there's not yet a visible progress, you might only get discouraged, disheartened and get back your addiction. Don't! This is where you should be careful! Don't just rely on your progress for motivation. Make your change a lifelong goal, that is keep doing the right thing no matter how vague it appears to you why you are doing it.
  14. Nadeshiko

Nadeshiko Member

I completely agree. I keep a calendar (just a normal, dollar store one) hung up in my bedroom - its kitten themed. The fact that it's kitten-themed means just about nothing, but that's just the one I picked;)

ANYWAY -- I tick off all the days in which I'm sober with a green check. I add a smiley face to the days in which I don't even think of my addictive substance, and I put a red "x" on the days in which I fail.

For each day that I am sober, I reward myself. Each day counts for five dollars. After a certain amount of days (which will not be any time soon) that I've been sober consecutively, I'll buy my bestfriend and I a trip to Japan!

Progress is the best inspiration - I truly believe that :)
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Seeing is believing. If you set goals and you take note of accomplishments, give your self a pat on the back and then set new goals. Never stop goal setting.
  16. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Take noteo of you hard work and determination. Look in the mirror and see yourself developing into a better person. A healthier person.