An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marihuana deja vu

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by henry, Apr 13, 2015.

1. henry

henry Community Champion

I don't know if this topic has been addressed before, but I find it very interesting, so it doesn't matter. I just want to know if some of you have experienced it. Have you guys ever got any deja vu's while high on weed? I don't know if it was the type of weed I was smoking or what, but I used to get the funny feeling while high that whatever I was doing at the moment, I'd done it before. Sometimes I would freak out just by trying to understand it. I had some other very weird experiences while high on weed, but this one was the one that freaked me out the most. Let's hear your stories.
  2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It just sounds like that was a specific aspect of your personal paranoid experience when smoking. When I used to dabble I would get lost in my thoughts. If I wasn't doing positive things & fell into negative thinking sometimes it would be overwhelming & affect my entire experience. A bad trip, if you will. Seeing as weed is considered a mild hallucinogen I would suggest if you intend to participate than utilize the same practices. Remind yourself you're high & keep a positive attitude. Or...just don't smoke? But that's up to you.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I can't say I've ever experienced anything like that and I've smoked enough weed to sink a small battleship over the years. Some strains can certainly cause a different type of high though so you are right when you say that it might be down to the type of weed you've been smoking.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

My friends never said anything about deja vu or visions of any sorts. Makes me wonder if it's an isolated incident or my friends are all a bunch of liars.
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

The experiences freaked me out, but I have to admit I really enjoyed them. I felt like if something or someone was trying to tell me something, trying to communicate with me. I felt some of those feelings and thought were some type of revelation.
  6. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I have never experienced it but I have friends that have. Perhaps in your case, it could be linked to the satisfaction you get from smoking weed and to why you smoke weed. Like a happy dream your subconscious plays over and over for you while you are high.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I have never experienced that kind of effect when i've been smoking weed but as it does affect the mind and different people in different ways i'm sure it's entirely possible for that to happen.

Marijuana certainly play's with people's minds, I think thats one of the reasons people smoke it but sometimes when you experience something that your not used to or don't feel is normal it does tend to freak you out a bit.
  8. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I have never gotten that effect before but it sounds to me like you had a strain of marijuana that did not agree or was too potent for your system to handle. Although when I used to smoke heavily we used to get some Jamaican Ganja and that stuff was strong, a couple of times I even got a little paranoid. Oh Days Gone By
  9. nbts92

nbts92 Member

I've had exactly that type of deja vu while stoned. Watching a football match and seeing the score on the tv screen about 3 minutes before the goal was scored, because I was stoned. I've also seen alien space craft that were really street lights and people crawling round on their hands and kness in a field, wearing wool jumpers that were really sheep, because I was stoned.
    The question is not how do you deal with these things, I dont deal with them, I enjoy them. If I didnt, I wouldnt bother doing it. The question is why would you deal with these things? Some people just dont mix well with getting stoned. It's sort of up to your girlfriend if she wants to try again. If she did I would definately say start small and dont force yourself beyond where you feel comfortable. And if she doesnt like it then she shouldnt do it.
  10. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

Another food for thought, if you believe in "past" lives or parallel universes (yes some people believe in them) then the sense of Deja vu can be a real thing. I think if anyone gets high enough then your brain can trick you into believing just about anything I suppose.
  11. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

You were high so of course you are going to think you have deja vu. I know some people that have freaked out and passed out because of weed. So it doesn't surprise me that you weren't yourself.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

Yes, you could be right. But I didn't freak out that much, I was just kind of surprised and curious, because I would spend the whole next week just thinking about it. All that stuff felt way too real just to ignore it and let it pass, so I investigated a bit and found some forums where people were talking about similar experiences, but none of them were as deep as the ones I had.
  13. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Yes, I often experienced Deja vu's while smoking hashish. In fact, often I was wandering around in some kind of time warp where I felt as if I was in between different corridors of existence in time. I would move from one corridor to another, marveling at the timelessness that existed in them. It was like past, present and future had melted into one, and I saw the same things again and again, until I made them go away by sheer will power.
  14. ShadeDB

ShadeDB Member

Much older topic, but I felt I should share my experience either way.

I certainly have had that experience myself, and honestly, I still have no clue why it occurs. The odd thing for me is that this effect never ends until weeks or a month or so after smoking, especially. I'm currently waiting to smoke to see if this effect persists even completely clean, but it's been bothering me for a few months now. Every day seems like I'm reliving it, even if I don't smoke, and it's gotten to a point where I feel like I could "predict" the future, with minor changes. It's hard to say what it is, and I look forward to the day I get out of this loop I feel like I'm in.
  15. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@ShadeDB hey there. thanks for sharing. i've not experienced this or heard of it... very interesting. i imagine it affects people differently, and for some reason, it's affecting a part of your brain where this is relevant. are you writing down your predictions? i would... just for my own curiosity. you could choose to not smoke if this is bothering you....(of course, you know that ) :)

makes me think though...some people are just more intuitive than others... psychic if you will. maybe you're highly evolved. and your experience of smoking brings it out? just a thought.
    deanokat likes this.
  16. ShadeDB

ShadeDB Member

I haven't been writing them down at all. If you can believe it, I was able to accurately predict an update on a video game I play. I installed it elsewhere with better WiFi connection, and couldn't shake the feeling that it was going to need an extra update once I got home, which has terrible connection. After waiting only a day, reluctant to connect to the internet because it would take too long, I decided to connect anyways. Sure enough, it needed an update. 3.9 GB to be exact, and I only download at 20 KB/second with this connection. An accurate prediction if you can believe it.

I wouldn't say I'm more "evolved" but I do experiment with spiritual practices. I've read in many places that it can affect psychic ability, and while I do practice and have my own experiences, I never like to delve too deep.

It's either affecting the brain or affecting psychic ability, I'm not sure.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    lonewolves and deanokat like this.
  17. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@ShadeDB or both... :) such an interesting topic to me. the study of neuroscience is especially fascinating. They've done studies on mediums and how their trance like state affected their brains.... (slowing down thoughts...less self-consciousness, etc.) which is what marijuana can do to someone.... altered state, i mean.

but to be clear, i affirm more natural ways to induce altered states.. not drugs. unless you're a shaman in peru, lol. then, it's customary...
    deanokat likes this.
  18. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@ShadeDB... If it happens again, maybe concentrate hard on winning lotto numbers. :rolleyes:
    lonewolves likes this.
  19. ShadeDB

ShadeDB Member

There are a few meditative techniques out there. Simple exercises to strengthen the mind in different ways, just as learning something new can broaden one's knowledge and increase neuro pathways, and such. Focusing on a single shape, flipping it around in many ways and holding that image can help with visualization if practiced.

Now that I think about it, marijuana can have an effect on cognitive functions. I also have Borderline Personality Disorder as well. Personality is used to describe our cognitive functions in the brain.. do you think that could possibly be triggering something in the brain to cause my prologned deja Vu?

Gotta be open to all answers, not just spiritual. I'm more of a truth-seeker in that regard.
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  20. ShadeDB

ShadeDB Member

I had a feeling about the lottery earlier in the year.. I ended up getting a ticket one week later. Never won. Never know if I might have another shot at it, either.. -_-
    Dominica and deanokat like this.