An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana: a starting point?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Gelsemium, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Do you think that marijuana is just a drug we start with that can lead us to harder drugs, or as many say it's not that bad and it's just a relatively ok lifestyle?
  2. Akiyama

Akiyama Member

Hi,

I've actually heard that weed is a gateway drug by many people. But I don't think that's the case at all.

I've had a history of smoking it myself, but I was never at a point where I couldn't go weeks without it either. That even goes against the belief that it can be addictive.

I guess it depends on the individual, but as long as you don't decide to experiment with anything else, I doubt it would get to the point where you crave other harder substances, so I'd say that belief is false from personal experience.

Akiyama
  3. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I know a lot of people that smoke marijuana and they have never tried any other drug such as cocaine or harder drugs. A lot of people just smoke marijuana the same way that some people smoke tobacco. I don't think marijuana is a gateway to abusing hard drugs.
  4. amyyoh

amyyoh Member

In high school I smoked a lot and hung out with kids that smoked a lot too. Some of these people dappled in harder drugs, which made me believe that harder drugs are fine too. I didn't think acid or ecstasy or shrooms were a big deal because of exposure to them and friends doing them.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I really don't think it a gateway drug. There are people that just like to get high, up and down. Doesn't matter. It depends on what they want to feel at the time.
  6. Gelsemium

Yeah, that can happen Josh, but at the same time when they are high they are not exactly in their sanest self and they can do stuff they regret later.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know some people who started using it, mostly it was the influence of friends or people they were around which got them started and even learnt how to make it causing family to distance themselves from them. A person may not think of the positive consequences and, be confused by the mind and think what they are doing is right and also may think this is the normal part of life. I reckon that it can be addictive and also the person, may not see how it is changing their life and not for the better but for the worse as time goes on.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Theres always been a lot of talk how marijuana is a so called gateway drug. I think this will have a lot to do with the individual though to be honest, I know a lot of people that used to smoke it but don't anymore, as I also know a few people that still do smoke it, I can honestly say that none of the people I know used it as a stepping stone for harder drugs.
    A lot will depend on why you take the drug in the first place, if its just to relax and unwind then you probably don't feel the need to try anything else, on the other hand though, if your relying on a drug to give you a buzz, or to stimulate your life then I would think these are the people that will be more likely to try other substances.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

This also applies to alcohol, if not more so, but somehow it is never called a gateway, just because it is legal and more culturally accepted, even though it's probably more likely where people start since it's more available and accessible. Personally, this is why I think the cultural mindset of blaming substances is flawed and at the very least inefficient, since looking for problems in the wrong places means it takes longer than it should to find the solutions for the right ones. I don't blame guns or knives for murders, and I wouldn't blame this for addiction either. I contest that depression or any similar psychological or emotional issue would more likely be the gateway to abuse rather than the first substance people try on the way there.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  10. BeachyKeen

BeachyKeen Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head right there. Alcohol is such an ingrained part of our culture that I know so many people who don't even think of it as a drug. I think most people are more likely to have a beer before they smoke a joint, although while both activities are reasonably harmless on their own, there is always that "gateway" potential. Who knows where that first beer, or first smoke, might lead?
  11. scootpony

scootpony Active Contributor

I don't really know if I'd call it a gateway drug. With some people, it might be the first step through a nightmare portal of multi-addictions, but many others never go beyond it. I do think it might more likely be just an attempt at self medication. I know one man, in my family, who would love to quit smoking but cannot get along without it.
    I mean that in the sense that he cannot get along with other people without it.
    People try to give him time to get past his grouchiness, but he never does. He goes from a little grouchy, to a lot grouchy, to you don't want to be on the same planet with him because he's always so darned mad. And he loses jobs because of it.
    He doesn't, however, tend to do other drugs.
    I guess I've known others who were similar in that they just seemed to have to have marijuana at all times, but his situation is the most pronounced I've ever seen.
    I really feel for him.
    He used to ask me for advice but has since quit. I believe because all I could ever tell him was I couldn't have left it (or alcohol, cigarettes and caffeine) alone without God. Apparently, he's not willing to go that route.
  12. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I do not think just because you smoke marijuana, that it can lead to harder drugs. I have heard some people say this, but I believe it all depends on the individual. I have been smoking marijuana since I was 19 years old. I stopped smoking it when I turned 25, because I grew tired of it. I have never did any other kind of drug because I never had the desire to. I am smart enough not to fall into peer pressure. No one can ever persuade me into doing something that I do not want to do. I would look at all the people who are strung out on the hard drugs, like cocaine, meth, and heroin, and notice the effects of their health. I do not really want to deal with that. I really have not heard of any other effects that marijuana has on health except that it messes up brain cells. I will admit my memory is a little off at times, but nothing too major. I have now stopped smoking and I wouldn’t think of doing any other kind of drug. I will just stick to alcohol only.
  13. Gelsemium

I don't see much of a difference between alcohol and marijuana if you ask me, we are more likely to commit crimes or other bad things when we are other their influence.
  14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that pot is a gateway drug. People say that all heroin and cocaine users started off with pot, therefor it must be a gateway drug. The thing is, most heroin and cocaine users also used sugar before their drug of choice, does that mean sugar is a gateway drug? Well, not drug, but substance?

I hear the anti-pot people now. "But everyone uses sugar!". Well, everyone uses pot too. At least where I live, over half of the population admits - I emphasize the word "admits" - to using pot. Why would pot use encourage people to use other drugs? The only reason someone would smoke pot regularly is because they enjoy getting high on it. If someone is already using a drug and getting high, why would they be driven to use another drug?

If anything, alcohol would be more of a gateway drug than pot. It checks all of the drug boxes. Addictive? Check. Feeling like garbage once it wears off? Check. Destroys your body with excessive use? Check.

I think the type of people who use pot are the type of people who like getting intoxicated without overly-harmful effects.
  15. bsthebenster

There's a huge difference between alcohol and marijuana. Alcohol drinkers have a higher domestic abuse rate as well as getting in accidents while under the influence. How many people have you seen land in the drunk tank over a heavy night of marijuana usage? The crime rates with alcohol are much higher, assuming you exclude the act of smoking marijuana as a crime. There's statistics that can be found with seconds of Googling to back these claims as well.
  16. BeachyKeen

BeachyKeen Member

I don't think "everyone uses pot" is a very good explanation to be honest, nor a situation that should particularly be tolerated. However I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this is due to geographical/cultural differences. When I was taught about drugs growing up, all drugs were described as equally terrible, life-ruining things - so I always thought that pot was the same as coke or ketamine or crystal meth for example. Then when I did try pot, it was nowhere near as bad as I'd been taught. That led me to try other, harder drugs, because I thought they wouldn't be as bad either. I think that's the main way in which marijuana acts as a gateway drug.
  17. Gelsemium

I am not against that, but at the same time I think that happens because more people drink than smoke. Sure, alcohol seems to be a "heavier" drug I concede.
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Exactly, which is why I don't consider it to sensible to just label any particular one to be a gateway. I disagree with your statement that taking either would make you commit crimes though. People commit crimes regardless of what they do or do not take. It depends more on their mental health rather than what they ingest.
  19. bsthebenster

Yes I've always thought that as well. Your teachers tell you pot is the devil in the form of vegetation, your dealers says otherwise. Turns out your dealer was right. Then your teachers tell you the same thing about coke and your drug dealer tells you otherwise. Who are you going to believe? I think that's more just the negative effect of misinformation.
  20. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I won’t really call it a gateway drug. I know a lot of people who use pot but they don’t actually use any other substances. Although some of my friends (who admitted that they are using drugs) told me that the very first thing that they've tasted was Marijuana. Then they tried other substances after that.