An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana Addiction

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by SPR012, Nov 30, 2015.

1. SPR012

SPR012 Member

Many pot-smokers like to say "Marijuana is not addictive". When I first started smoking weed I definitely agreed, but after the evolution of my smoking habits I disagree. I believe that marijuana definitely has the potential to be addictive. What are your thoughts? Is Marijuana physically addictive? Psychologically?
    deanokat likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I believe that marijuana is both physically and psychologically addictive. I know lots of people disagree with the physical part, but I saw it in my son. And I think he'd agree that he was physically addicted to it, too.
  3. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

It is definitely addictive. You might not feel it initially but it definitely is. It affects not the physical state of our body but affects us mentally. We won't be able to do normal tasks without the influence of it since we become so much indulged in it.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My partner used to smoke weed every day of life for years. He said he couldn't go without it. He had to quit cold turkey a number of years back because he landed a good job and they did random drug tests. He said it was one of the hardest things he ever had to do. He is the first one who will tell you how addictive it was and how it controlled his life for many years. Sadly though he traded the weed addiction for alcohol. He is no longer at that job and he drinks more now then ever.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not tried or used it but I always believe that it is addictive. Anything can be addictive and more on those substances that has something on it that it really addictive like it can give a high feeling.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've used marijuana in the past and the mental addiction for me was harder to get over than the physical addiction.

That might be different though, depending on the person as a drug doesn't have the same effects on everyone.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think marijuana is addictive in general, but more psychologically, because you crave for that "high" feeling that it gives you. I personally did not get addicted to it even if I have tried it since I don't have an addictive personality.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana is addictive. Research does prove it:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-addictive
    Up to 50% of people who smoke Marijuana regularly might end up being addicted to the drug.

http://www.csam-asam.org/marijuanas-addictive-potential-general-public
    http://www.brown.edu/Student_Servic...alcohol,_tobacco,_&_other_drugs/marijuana.php
    It gets worse
    No one IMHO can deny the fact that Marijuana is addictive.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I believe anything, whether it may be marijuana, heroin, alcohol, or even just a simple thing, can be both physically, and psychologically addictive. I don't think there's any exception in this world.
  10. pwarbi

But if marijuana is as addictive as what some research would suggest, why now the sudden turn around after all these years, and its now becoming more and more acceptable in more states than ever before?

What's changed from the government locking up weed smokers and it being called the gateway drug, to now when it's on the verge of being legalised ?
  11. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I be
    I believe pot is very addictive both mentally and physically. I know of many people who have smoked pot for decades and lack the willpower to stop. Though they started off innocently, it has become near to impossible for them to stop.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

The withdrawal symptoms from marijuana are so mild that most people wouldn't consider it a physical addiction. You might have a sleepless night or two and break it in sweats but after a couple of nights it's over. It's negligible compared to withdrawal symptoms from a drug like heroin which have a serious physical effect on the body. Marijuana is therefore more addictive psychologically, although it does have a minor effect on the physical body.
  13. pwarbi

You're right when you say that for the majority of people, the physical withdrawal symptoms aren't even noticeable and that's why I think there is a suggestion that it's not as addictive as other substances that are out there.
  14. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I'm quitting smoking, and I've been very surprised at just how hard it is. I'm not that informed enough, but I do know that I became reliant on the FEELING I got from smoking, as well as the added enjoyment I felt I would get from certain activities (such as listening to music or having sex). Even when it became clear that the habit was having detrimental effects on my health and functionality, I still did it.

I think advocates for legalization should be more honest about how marijuana can effect people. I do think it should be legal, but people need to know that it's not all sunshine and roses.
  15. rtorir

rtorir Member

Marijuana smokers are increasing dramatically. This has been spurred by authorization of marijuana for medical use. The problem with marijuana is that most people can’t notice their addiction because of its associative nature. However all is not lost as treatment that address marijuana addiction at an intense are available which include outpatient and residential.
  16. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

- But it is not addictive. I have been smoking for ten years now. When I say this I do not mean every day because that would be an addiction. I have tried it ten years ago and there were times I smoked more than I should but the last time I smoked was three years ago and I never had one second of that need addicts feel. I just do not want to do it. It is too expensive for me now and I have no problems not to smoke. You see, I never tried cigarettes and I only smoke weed so I guess, maybe, tobacco smokers are addicted to tobacco already so when they mix it with weed they get even better taste of their cigarettes. It is just a thought, but I have to say I never met a person addicted to pure marijuana. And i know quite few people using. And yes, I was at a party last month and a friend offered me a joint. I said no, I didn't feel like smoking.
  17. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@djolem... Just because you didn't get addicted to marijuana, or you don't know anyone who is addicted, doesn't mean it's NOT addictive. That would be like someone who drinks a glass of wine once a week saying that alcohol isn't addictive. Everybody's brain chemistry is different. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA):

"Yes, marijuana can be addictive. Over time, overstimulation of the endocannabinoid system by marijuana use can cause changes in the brain that lead to addiction, a condition in which a person cannot stop using a drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life. It is estimated that 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it. The number goes up to about 17 percent in those who start using young (in their teens) and to 25 to 50 percent among daily users."
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

What makes one smoke marijuana daily if it is not addictive? You will find most marijuana smokers have to smoke before performing any task, meaning that they are addicted to it. Since marijuana is addictive, some do spend a lot of money to buy it without considering buying other important things, which shows how marijuana is addictive.
  19. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

20. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I personally don't believe much in physical nor psychological addiction. It all comes down to what habits you have through your daily routine. If marijuana is part of it, you can't cease to take it; simple as that. Nothing to do with these alleged addictions.

When I used to smoke cigarettes example, I wasn't "addicted" to them. I could go even months without smoking if I wasn't around friends. Smoking was only a social thing to me. But I have to admit that completely giving up on it was quite of a struggle. Giving up on your habits is quite hard.