An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana and "Creativity"

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Joyner, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Joyner

Joyner Member

The post about marijuana being portrayed positively in the media got me thinking about the common notion about marijuana and "creativity." If you say something bad about marijuana publicly, people are quick to argue for marijuana being a "good" thing because they think that it influenced a lot of people creatively. I've heard people say that everyone from The Beatles, Dr. Suess, Bob Marley, etc were "inspired" while under the influence of marijuana and went on to produce great creative works.

But maybe this is just the simple logical fallacy of confusing correlation with causation. Perhaps this people were creative and great IN SPITE of using marijuana, rather than because of it. Just because someone was a product of their time and used it, doesn't mean that using it was the cause of them becoming great. What do you think is the best way to correct the misconception about marijuana once and for all?
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I agree with you, very often people can't understand that people can just have talent. The talented people themselves convince themselves that they need something to push them on, and the media picks up on this and divulges it. It's interesting to note that that many of the longer lasting bands might have a period that they did take substances but got themselves cleaned up and still carry on producing music.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Talent has to just be there nothing can replace that. I think that marijuana may put you in a meditative like state, and remove mental blocks. I don't think it helps all the time when working because you can have temporary memory loss and get drowsy. I have noticed in the past that it does help creativity flow, the problem is if you depend on that you'll always need it to be creative.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

You cannot make creativity come out of nowhere. They had the natural talent and creativity, and marijuana only fueled them. But it seems like a lot of new-age hipsters believe that marijuana turns you into an artist. The truth is that it does not. It's just a myth made to justify the use of weed, and more and more people seem to fall for it. Pity.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Is there such a misconception about marijuana? What a fallacy indeed! My college friend had the same assertions about alcohol. Whenever she's drunk, she would feverishly draw people and even write poems. She's still good at drawing and extemporaneous speaking even when she's not drunk but alcohol seems to heighten her abilities. That doesn't happen all the time, though. There are times when you just end up dead drunk and fall asleep like a log. Any substance with "psychoactive effects" can interfere with your brain processes but you have to have creative abilities in the first place. If you don't, then the substance will simply heighten the "feelings" or "thoughts" dominating your subconscious.
  6. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

There is no real evidence to indicate that recreational drug use is good for creativity but there is a preponderance of evidence that shows it to hinder creativity and decision making in multiple ways. If somebody does something creative under the influence it is a case of doing despite the drug, not because of it.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have never heard that marijuana can make one creative. Most people who smoke it are lazy. Those are just excuses by people who have failed to stop smoking it. There are a lot of people who are creative but they have never smoked marijuana.
  8. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

As an artist I can say that I enjoy working while high, because I tend to see things from a slightly different perspective and I have less inhibition. So for generating ideas outside of the box, I enjoy using weed for that, but for work that requires more focus and analysis, I have to steer clear.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There's a similar myth which many writers believe. That great writers need alcohol to write great books. While yes it is true that many great writers were alcoholics it doesn't necessarily mean it's alcohol which made them great writers. A person who is drunk can't string together a coherent sentence so how well can they write?

The same logic could be used to argue against the fallacy that weed improves creative thinking.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141008101406.htm
    People often think that smoking cannabis makes them more creative. However, research by Leiden psychologists Lorenza Colzato and Mikael Kowal shows that the opposite is true.

The research findings contradict the claims of people who say that their thinking changes and becomes more original after smoking a joint. There's no sign of any increased creativity in their actual performance, according to Colzato. 'The improved creativity that they believe they experience is an illusion.'
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, this is probably one of those things that is some say yes, and some say no. All I know is that Stephen King was stoned when he wrote a majority of his early books, and many rockers were also stoners...so they might tend to differ with the research. It is interesting that you brought that up though. I had never seen any research in terms of this before.
  11. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Yes, I do think that you can be more creative sometimes when you take drugs. There have to be some positive effects of drugs, or people would never want to take them at all, would they? But you just have to think about the negative effects, and realise that those are far greater than any kind of positive effect that you could hope to get from them, before you make your decision about whether you actually want to take the drug in question or not.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There are many talented or artistic people who created great works without the use of any drugs or alcoholic drinks. So I also think that they are talented without those things. It maybe just mind conditioning.
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, there are a lot of people who links talent and substance abuse, and I think that a big part of it rests in movies and some songs, this needs to stop, because there will be people who actually use drugs for this proposes, we need to start separating inspiration and greatness from substance abuse.
  14. KissMyGritsXD

KissMyGritsXD Member

Marijuana is used as mostly propaganda, publicity tool, glory key, etc. Marijuana is used and distributed so slyly and sneakily, that people will believe it as a "drug". When in reality, it is a plant. It's not a gateway drug, it's not bad for you. But misusing it and being so irresponsible with it can make it a controversial herb...
  15. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

marijuana does not make you creative, the people you have mentioned used marijuana as relaxation drug not as creativity stimulant. In fact marijuana makes you dull and lethargic.
  16. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that some people use this drug to help them in their life and have known some people who have not had any issues which made them do well in their life and also they have learned to control the amount, and usually use it when working or doing physical labor work which needs strength and motivation. The media has made this plant out to be a bad influence in some cases and in movies we see the people take it and not know what they are doing most of the time and have had bad consequences which leads to ruin and loss of work as well. I think that the governments are not going to legalize it as they would need to make money and also people would not want to pay taxes which can make them use it in an illegal manner.
  17. thelawless1

thelawless1 Member

There is no real evidence to indicate that recreational drug use is good for creativity but there is a preponderance of evidence that shows it to hinder creativity and decision making in multiple ways. If somebody does something creative under the influence it is a case of doing despite the drug, not because of it.

I am assuming that you have zero actual experience to back up this opinion, That you're simply parroting the dominant orthodoxy that seeks to deny any benefits claimed by cannabis champions. My hands on experience tells me you're wrong. For years I had whatever creative instincts I possessed stunted by big pharma, When I started using dope after a 15 year hiatus it came flooding back. Sure you are often to addled to 'flesh out' the ideas but you write down the kernal of the thought and come back to it with a clear head. That cannabis can spark creative thought is simply fact. Itmay be uncomfortable for the prohibitionist to acknowledge that it doesn't stop it being so.

18. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I personally get a great boost of creativity when I smoke. It somehow frees my mind. It is connected with that part of creation process. I don't like to do it too much because I really do not prefer smoke in any form so I haven't been doing it for a long period but maybe I+d make a cake or just take a hit or two to finish some music I started to make :)
  19. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

I think that while marijuana definitely does not turn you into Picasso overnight, it does makes you think differently. Research suggests smoking marijuana leads to an inrush of dopamine, the 'feel good' neurotransmitter, that gives you a massive boost in mood, happiness, confidence and motivation, thus leading to a 'creative' and outgoing (read risk-taking) mindset. Since most of our innate talent remains buried deep within our subconscious (mainly due to our own lack of confidence), smoking marijuana, that lifts the whole I-can't-do-this veil from our mind, causes the innate talent to express themselves, thus the whole 'creativity' thing that a lot of people report.
  20. BoredPostman

BoredPostman Member

Speaking for myself, marijuana certainly loosens inhibitions for me when I am writing. I wouldn't it boosts my creativity, per se, but rather it allows me to stop criticizing my work so much that I can't get anything done. I think Earnest Hemingway said it best: "Write drunk, edit sober." (apparently he never actually said this but ... I'm keeping it)
    Elendil likes this.