An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana and "Creativity"

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Joyner, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Yep, Hemingway never said it. It was actually (most probably... well, maybe?) written by American novelist Peter De Vries. And you're welcome. ;)
  2. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I don't think it actually makes you creative, it may help bring out the creativity in somebody but that is something different.
  3. BoredPostman

BoredPostman Member

Thanks for the clarification. He was a brilliant mind regardless of whether he said that most excellent quote. And thanks :)
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Do you think it's the marijuana itself that helps you or the relief from the withdrawal pang?
  5. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

My husband is bipolar and has depression. For 4 years now, he has used marijuana to help cope with these illnesses. It seems to help well with it. He doesn't sit around and get high all the time. He uses it in moderation to help lessen his symptoms. He is also a songwriter and audio engineer. When he takes marijuana, its like a whole new person emerges from this drug. He has done some of his best work being on it!
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, there are certainly things about weed that we just can't deny, and making you more creative and receptive are a couple of them. When I play my guitar, I come up with things that I just know I can't while sober.
  7. BoredPostman

BoredPostman Member

I know exactly what you mean, @henry. I play guitar on weed and the results are fantastic - some of my best riffing, scales work, and songwriting experiences have been while high. That's not to say I'm better, though, as all of the other incredible experiences have been while sober. You have to be able to do both.
    henry likes this.
  8. Speaking for myself, Marijuana sure does increase the level of creativity in you. You become more creative, and you can check that by yourself by, if you are a musician, try to compose a new song while you are "high". I can say it will help and maybe the material of it will come out very good.
  9. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

That's one of the benefits of marijuana. When I smoke I feel way more creative and able to do write, draw, etc. But the effect do vary from person to person, so it's normal not everyone feels this way.
  10. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I have a lot of artist and musician friends and most of them use marijuana, and they told me that it actually helps them be more creative. I guess it brings out the creativity in them more and it enhances their talent. I think that they can do away with the stuff because they're talented people to begin with. I haven't touched marijuana even though I've been offered a lot of times to try it to help get me out of the slump (which happens a lot to people in the creative field), so I can't really attest to it.
  11. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Smoking marijuana doesn't ensure creativity, there are many great artists that don't use drugs or alcohol but on the other hand there are many great artists who have been known to use drugs.
  12. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I would have to say that the reason people seem or "become" more creative while they are high is because their inhibitions have been lowered. You feel freer to express yourself because the drug is giving you the false sense of confidence you need to unleash your creativity. You think differently while you are high so your creativity flows out differently.