An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

marijuana and mental illness

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by afriendinneed, Sep 9, 2015.

1. afriendinneed

afriendinneed Member

My brother has used weed before, but instead of calming him down it makes him crazy and paranoid. He has anxiety and depression problems, and I've heard that doctors aren't suppose to prescribe marijuana to people with mental illnesses because of weird side effects. Is this true? And has anyone had personal experience with the alternate effects of marijuana on people with mental illnesses?
  2. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

It can lead to some things like schizophrenia and Psychosis but usually the person has to have some sort of pre disposition towards these mental illnesses, so if you do it might be smart to stay away to not risk it.
  3. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Drugs can have an adverse reaction on a normal person. Thats why street drugs are so dangerous. Ive had some pretty intense bad trips on LSD and Ectstacy. A normal person can have a psychotic episode for no apparent reason. Throw some drugs in there and you can have a catastrophy. Your brother may just be highly sensitive to thc in Marijihana. Weed makes me very paranoid but i also suffer from anxiety-depression and BI-Polar disorder. Some people just cant handle the effects of drugs.
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

Marijuana affects one's judgement. It makes one to have increased blood pressure which is also harmful to the brain. I have seen many people who smoke because they want to mess around like in sports stadiums. It is only a few who smoke and do not misbehave. You should completely avoid it as it is never suitable for smoking.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've seen some people get really paranoid off of Marijuana. So I agree that it is possible for it to happen to others. I know it can relax a person, but I'm not sure if it would help someone with depression. I would think that it would make it even worse.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I've got a friend that has some mental problems. He mostly likes to drink, but a few years ago, he picked up cocaine habit. I remember I made the mistake of sharing a joint with him. He had never smoked before, and the guy went berzerk and got all paranoid.
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I've got a friend that has some mental problems. He mostly likes to drink, but a few years ago, he picked up cocaine habit. I remember I made the mistake of sharing a joint with him. He had never smoked before, and the guy went berzerk and got all paranoid.
  8. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Member

I completely agree! Marijuana caused serious anxiety problems for me which forced me to quit. Unfortunately, the anxiety I felt while I was under the influence of Marijuana crossed over even when I wasn't high. I was constantly worried about my heart rate and aware that my heart could stop at any time.

The thing is for some this will never be a problem but if you happen to have a predisposition it will definitely affect you. If your lucky enough to already know ( in this case your brothers depression / anxiety problems ) I would definitely not recommend Marijuana.

-LoyalServant
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I don't consider a good idea prescribing any kind of drug to someone with a mental illness. It could turn up worse than before, because drugs alter your brain very badly.

I heard that marijuana is good for people with seizures though, as it calms them down. But I don't think this also applies to anxious people.
  10. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

Most doctors don't want to prescribe it at all, and never for mental illness. When you're dealing with brain chemicals that are already different due to chemical imbalance, you never know what can happen. Illinois recently wanted to approve medical marijuana for PTSD but the governor refused because he thought it was too dangerous.
  11. Nomore141

Nomore141 Member

I don't think it's such a good idea to give marijuana to people with mental illnesses, I'm surprised any doctor would even consider doing it. Marijuana alters your perception of the world around you, it is not uncommon for even mentally stable people to become anxious and paranoid.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

That sounds awful! I hope you are feeling better now! Do you happen to suffer from OCD as well? I ask because that kind of anxiety you mentioned sounds too familiar to me. I had a similar anxiety when I was younger, I had no idea I could later be diagnosed with OCD. I think drugs like Marijuana can do terrible things to people like me who already have a chemical unbalance in their brain. Better stay away from it!
  13. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Cannabis plants can have huge differences. One strand of plant will have a completely different chemical composition than the next, unless they are clones. Some can cannabis plant are completely useless medically or for selling on the street because they are only for growing hemp. Weed that is sold on the street is designed to "get high"
    These strains are the ones that commonly cause parinoia and other unpleasant mood side effects. They are sold without the buyer knowing the chemical composition or anything about the plant. The dealer can say it's anything that people are wanting to buy. Street weed can be laced with other drugs, to insure the customer buys again. It's usually stuffed with filler to bulk up the weed, like lavender, oregano, sometimes the supplier will stray stuff on the weed to make it heavier. Medically the plant is grown with it being a medication in mind. Some people have bad reactions with medical weed and other people it's the medication they have been waiting for. But it's obvious whatever strand your brother has been exposed to is not good for him and he needs to stop before causing damage to his brain.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I personally knew someone who act really strange due to his addiction to marijuana. I think it could be because of various things too like not eating properly and not taking care of oneself because of addiction that could lead to mental illness. The case could be different per person and if there are existing mental issues already before using the substance.
  15. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Different kinds of drugs has different kinds of effects on different kinds of people. Marijuana can affect some people's sense of reasoning and can calm others. I think it all depends on the person.
  16. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Member

I was never diagnosed with OCD even though I have certain traits. Thankfully I have completely stopped the usage of Marijuana and though the negative effects have stayed for a while after I quit using I can now say I no longer have these panic attacks. I have come to learn after snooping around that they are quite common among pot smokers...
  17. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Marijuana smoking does cause hallucinations and other mental problems. Despite the media campaign that marijuana is only loaded with health benefits, there are people who have gone mentally ill because of smoking weed.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It depends on the quality of the marijuana, the one I smoked back in my country was very different from the one I smoked in the Netherlands. That thing was one of the strongest marijuana I had ever smoked, I didn't even aspire it, or else it would have been two really high fools in the street. Weed quality differs greatly from seller to seller, some weed causes no hallucinations, even in a group of people, but some weed is brutal
  19. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I have. My neighbor's adult son had a mental illness but any time he smoked marijuana he'd go all loco [literally]. He'd strip naked and go dashing down the street in the buff. And he was very aggressive at that time.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/problemsdisorders/cannabis.aspx
    This is why anyone with mental illnesses shouldn't not use marijuana. It tends to make things worse.
  20. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Marijuana can have a different effect on different people who can react in different ways to it. It depends on chemical levels, psychological make-up, etc. Marijuana is also currently stronger now than it ever has been in the past and can exacerbate the symptoms of most mental illnesses.