An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana Butter Overdose?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by melody, Mar 15, 2016.

1. melody

melody Active Contributor

With legal recreational marijuana looking to be legalized here soon, more and more people are talking about eating marijuana instead of smoking it. I do think that would be a safer option. The, someone said something to me that I did not think could be true. I have heard that you can not truly overdose on THC, you could get so high you panic or have an asthma attack maybe, but not overdose on THC. My friend insists that you should be very careful with marijuana butter because you can overdose on it. Is that true?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

No, it's not true. Although too much of anything is bad for you. Did you know it's possible to overdose from water (hyponatemia)? The only way you would overdose on marijuana edibles is by overeating and not by marijuana consumption.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree, when you smoke marijuana it will just probably make you high/sad and increase your appetite, so I guess you can only overdose on it when you eat it. I know they also put weed in brownies, but in small amounts only.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

What I meant is that you're more likely to overdose on food than you are to overdose on THC. There's no way you're going to overdose on THC even if you injected pure straight into your bloodstream and even then it would only cause paranoia and anxiety. If someone is prone to anxiety or paranoia already then it could potentially lead to schizophrenia or other mental illness and that's as close as possible you can get to a THC overdose.
  5. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

I would agree with you about how edible marijuana is safer. I have eaten and smoked it. I like the body high that eating it gives you. I couldn't eat and smoke though. I think that would be too much, which like you said, would cause panic or paranoia (neither are which enjoyable sober, let alone under the influence). Too much of anything will make you sick though, so always take care in what you ingest/drink/smoke.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'd not do that if I were you... you might actually have a really hard time if you eat too much. A friend of mine works at a hospital, and has seen what happens when someone eats too much marijuana edibles... I'm talking of only two cookies, and oh boy... was that woman high as a kite! She ended up in the ER where my friend works. If two cookies did that to that woman (my friend was more explicit that I was in this post) then I don't want to imagine if she had eaten more cookies... Really dangerous. It took her a while to go back to her former self... because according my friend when you ingest marijuana it takes longer for you to stop being high.
  7. Min

Min Active Contributor

I think the point, as @Tremmie makes, is that when marijuana is edible you can eat more than you would smoke getting you higher than you would have anticipated. Also, since you've no real way of knowing the strength of the cookie/brownie/what-have-you it's a lot harder to monitor your progression. If you're smoking and someone give you a stronger strain than you're used to you can slow down or stop as you feel the effect. With an edible substance that's not the case. You're basically flying blind until it hits you. Then, when it does there is nothing you can do till it's out of your system which, again - as @Tremmie says - will be much longer when ingested than when inhaled. Does this (all added up) make it feel more uncomfortable? Yes, you can over-indulge and bear the brunt of nasty side effects. But there's a difference between over-indulging and overdosing.
  8. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Personally I've had a tough time with marijuana butter, because there's just something extremely off-putting about the thought of consuming large amounts of butter. I feel like it would be better to just get gummies, baked goods, or sweets, or any other assorted edibles.