An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana dispensaries/stores

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Allen24, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

Are there any near where you live? I have seen the stores in Colorado and California on the news. There was even an article about fancy boutique type stores in CA. There are none near me but I am not a marijuana user so I don't really mind. I would like to visit one out of curiosity.

I am curious to know how these types of businesses will influence those who may already be addicted or could possible become so.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  2. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

You know in India here people have to score weed from villages and places which wouldn't be declared as towns, but more like a small town. All my friends get their weed from some dealer who gets it from the villages, where ai guess they grow marijuana.
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I live in California and there are plenty of dispensaries, but you can't get stuff without a medical marijuana card, as far as I know. So it's not a huge issue for people who are addicted to the drug but don't have the card. I'm sure some people are addicted to marijuana that have legitimate medical issues, but they also have to deal with the pain from those issues if they stop using.

Unfortunately, there are people that have a card and abuse it to feed an addiction rather than a legitimate medical need. I think the dispensaries cause more good than harm, though.
  4. 420nosmoke

420nosmoke Member

I am from California and I used to be a MMJ "patient". I say patient in quotes since I didn't have a serious medical need for it (just some minor ones), I just wanted a convenient way to buy high quality weed and it's also somewhat of a legal protection if a cop stops you and you have it in your possession.

In CA the stores are medical-only, you cannot just walk into the store and look at the weed selection. You need to have papers stating a doctor's recommendation, which are very easy to get for around 50 bucks; it takes about a half hour's time in some shady Venice doctor's office. Then you go to the store (called "dispensary" or "collective") and they verify your papers in the waiting room. They buzz you in to the back room, and *then* you can look at the weed selection, and make a "donation" (exchange of money for cannabis products... but don't call it buying! it's a nonprofit).

I am overall grateful that MMJ is available in many states. It really does do miraculous things for people with severe pain, nausea, etc. However you can't deny that the vast majority of patients are perfectly healthy young people just further maintaining their weed addictions. I don't know what to think about that. I guess I'd keep the system the same. Oh, in counties where brick-and-mortar dispensaries are banned, there are numerous delivery services, where yes, a delivery driver literally comes to your house and shows you a bag full of products for you to "make a donation for". It's pretty wild! Of course, this is a wonderful service for disabled patients, but mostly utilized by lazy young stoners.

In Colorado and Washington they finally have the weed stores where all you need is a valid 21-and-over ID. I have not visited one of these stores, but I imagine there is a similar setup where the weed is kept in a back room for security purposes. I'm curious to see what effect these stores have on society. There's reports that teen marijuana use is already down in Colorado, perhaps because it's not as taboo anymore, and thus less cool?
  5. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Only time will tell, but I'm curious about it too.
  6. kklovekm

kklovekm Member

I live in georgia and I cannot wait until they get the program together and legalize marijuana here. I know its a process but I know the state will make lots of extra revenue from it when all is said and done.
  7. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Do you really think they'll do it like....in the near future, @kklovekm? I'm from Michigan (dispensaries all over the place) and live in Georgia now. Just have a hard time seeing the deep south get on board.
  8. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

I do not see the south opening these kinds of stores any time soon. The bible belt is definitely still a thing. Many counties are still completely dry and most do not allow Sunday sales of any sort when it comes to alcohol. I can't imagine progress towards marijuana legalization at all.
  9. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I agree.
  10. JorjSimeonov

JorjSimeonov Member

It's way more expensive to buy from a dispensary than it is from a dealer. Most marijuana smokers don't really care about where they buy - they care about the price. Dispensaries would affect people who are scared to buy from dealers and that's kind of a rare occurrence.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Hawaii is big on illegal Marijuana use. No dispensaries here. The guys that I know grow it in the mountain areas. They drive to their site every couple days for watering and harvest.
  12. ariana_

ariana_ Member

No, my state (Maryland) doesn't have legal medical marijuana dispensaries, and is very far from Colorado and Washington, the two states where it is legal to buy marijuana. Of course, it is still pretty easy to get it, and most people I know who smoke haven't been caught by the police. I don't think these businesses will make anyone addicted, or influence the already addicted. Marijuana is already so easy to get, so anyone who wants the drug can easily obtain it.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

None in my country because we are hugely conservative here so I'm doubting it would be legalized anytime soon, but it sure do hope they decriminalize it because I feel as though users are being unfairly prosecuted for such a relatively harmless substance and recreational activity. That said, I honestly don't think it will change much whether they start allowing legal sales other than financially benefiting the country since people who want it will find a way to get it and people who don't will stay away from it just the same.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I saw the inside of one in California and heard about some of the other ones. They spent about $100,000 on this one in West LA. Someone I worked with and her husband opened it. It was interesting. They had cameras everywhere and bullet proof glass in the front. The waiting area wasn't that big. People would just come and stand at the window kind of like a bank but it reminded me of how some fast food places are in really ghetto areas. The bullet proof glass was so thick and it put a barrier between the customer and the seller. She had a room on the other side of it with all the glass jars full of marijuana. Last time I spoke with her she said they were doing well. They had gotten very busy. She said they were giving extra samples with the purchase. The customer area was really simple nothing special. It's not like they are going to hang out and smoke. They get what they need and leave. I think she was making some food with marijuana in it. Like brownies and things like this maybe.
    The thing that was funny to me was what her husband said about a female doctor that was handing out the cards for clients. He showed me her picture in the news paper. She was a very sexy female in a white coat. Very pretty woman maybe Persian or Armenian, I forget which. My friend's husband said that her place that the guys are lined up to go in and see her is like the Taj Mahal.
    There are ads in some of the papers for these kind of things. The pretty doctor to give you your marijuana card. It's funny. Seems a little ridiculous. They make it like the hookers that are in those papers too. The LA weekly or whatever it is. They might as well as have Cheech and Chong look-a-likes while they are at it or Beavus and Butthead selling in the clinics. How about Full Metal Jacket, "come get your marijuana card. me love you a long time." Lol
  15. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

I'm sоrry tо rеpоrt thаt mоst dispеnsаriеs аrе nоt prоfitаblе. I'vе writtеn mаny СОGS mоdеls оvеr thе lаst 7 yеаrs. Prоfitаbility is rеаlly dеpеndеnt upоn hоw аnаlytiсаl thе businеss оwnеr/СОО is. Аt mаny соmpаniеs, I'vе сrеаtе а "Rаw" СОGS mоdеl tо trасk thе соst оf prоduсtiоn during thе сultivаtiоn сyсlе, thеn аnоthеr mоdеl during prосеssing (аs thе сurе is thе mоst vоlаtilе vаriаblе in thе whоlе prосеss), аnd thеn а pоst-prоduсtiоn mоdеl tо trасk hоw muсh it соsts us frоm wаrеhоusе tо соnsumеr. Bеing оnе оf thе vеry fеw nеrds in this industry with а lоvе fоr саnnаbis spесifiс finаnсiаl mоdеling, аnd thе plаnt, I wоuld bе thе mоst quаlifiеd pеrsоn tо tеll yоu thаt I аm а uniсоrn in this gаmе.
    In mоst саsеs, thе piоnееrs оf this industry wеrе pаssiоnаtе аbоut thеir сrаft- thе сultivаtiоn, prосеssing pасkаging, аnd tаsting оf thе plаnt. Muсh оf thе tесhniсаl knоwlеdgе lеаrnеd thrоugh еxpеriеnсе dоеsn't prеpаrе оnе оf thеsе businеss оwnеrs fоr sсаling thеir mоdеl, оr undеrstаnding hоw dеtrimеntаl соsts саn bе tо thе tоp аnd thе bоttоm linе.