An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana is becoming more accepted everywhere, legal in some places, why worry?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by KC Sunshine, Nov 12, 2014.

1. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

The thing about substance abuse is that you don't have limits. You don't say when. For a lot of the hard drugs, there are laws that make the very use of the substance criminal. But that's not why substance abuse is a problem. We all know people who can taste or dabble in hard drugs -- a line of coke here, lsd there --- and never develop a bad habit. But we also know people who cannot stop drinking. And drinking is legal. So just because marijuana is becoming more acceptable and even legal, consider that a gift. You still have a problem with it if you have a problem.

I put that statement up to disagree with it because I've heard it now and again. What are your views?
  2. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

The substances may not be good to us though it is legally accepted. We all already know that marijuana has side effects which are not good to us and it is addicted in nature. Therefore, it is questionable to make it legal so that the big corporation can yield income from it.
  3. Grimp

Grimp Member

Marijuana should definately be legalized, however, I am concerned that it will become hijacked by corporations to make big profit. I beleive marijuana, even when legalized should be kept in the hands of the people and kept on the downlow. I would hate to see marijuana adverts as they might actually put me off smoking it.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Legalizing marijuana will not make it any less harmful. At least that's if you focus on all the negative effects of weed which include:

- Anxiety.
    - It affects your immune system reducing your resistance to a number of diseases.
    - Erectile dysfunction.
    - It messes up with your intelligence.

That should be enough to convince people keep their hands off weed.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am aware that it is legal on some places in the US but I still prefer it illegal here in our country.
    It is a substance that has side effects like in mental health especially in the long time of using. But still if it will be use for medicine on a strict monitoring, it can be okay.
  6. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

In my opinion, if marijuana would be made legal everywhere, there would be a lot less interests in it, in the first months there might be a craziness but after a while everyone would get bored and continue their lives, so the rate of people using this drug would become even lower than it actually is with the substance being illegal.
  7. CieraLashae

CieraLashae Member

The legalization of marijuana has pros and cons. Although, marijuana isn't for me, I don't feel like its necessary a bad drug. It has health benefits, however, when it is abused the drug becomes problematic.
  8. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Marijuana is a magical word created by corporate attorneys to pass a Legislation that banned its use for U.S. Citizens, which was done to help influence people to buy more tobacco related products - google it if you don't believe me. Legal is not the same as Law. knowing this difference, possessing cannabis or hemp is not unlawful.

Cannabis and hemp has been used for a long time, and throughout the history of its usage, not one human has died directly from consuming its "natural" form, by itself only. All the fear and misconception of cannabis use was due to the tobacco campaign against it, and people who have not done their research are still misled by the same groups who rallied against illegal medicinal plant, which far exceeds tobacco plant in so many ways that there are volumes of books written about the various ways to use hemp and cannabis.
  9. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

The worry come that all good things in excess are bad. Just because it become more and more legal some are using this as an excuse to use more and more. Since overdosing isnt such a major concern the concern comes from the unknown possible health risks. More research has to be done in order to know for certain if no harm can come from its many uses.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

All my life I was told that Marijuana is bad and highly illegal. But for some reason when the government is making money off of the sales (Colorado), it's now acceptable and not illegal. Weird how that works. Other countries allow drug usage and it is up to the user to control themselves, just like how alcohol is legal here but it up to the consumer to control themselves.

We need to take a look at the hypocrisy of the US. It seems to me that a drug is illegal only when taxes are not being paid. Which is contradictory to what they have been force feeding us throughout our high school and adult years.
  11. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

I think that if anything marijuana should be legalized and alcohol should be made illegal. Alcohol has a lot worse effects on people then smoking marijuana ever would and I think the world is extremely biased at the fact that alcohol is illegal and marijuana isn't.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I am for all non lethal substances getting legalized and regulated because I see no sense in allowing the government to treat everyone like kids. All resources should be free for everyone and we all should have the right to choose what we do with our bodies because it is our ownership and not the government's. On that note, I say it should especially be true of plants. Forbidding of planting seeds as if some people have more rights on this earth than anybody else to say what goes and what doesn't really doesn't add up to me and I really am confused how previous generations allowed themselves to be devalued for so long.
  13. Friele

Friele Member

This is an interesting and confusing thing to deal with. Its legal in some places and not in others, but at the same time it is recognized as a substance ,yet not regulated.
    Why should it not be legal and treated the way say alcohol is?
    Maybe even more regulated , I think even alcohol should be more regulated than it is now.

Being one who travels a lot, and have for all of my life across the globe , the differences in how substance, alcohol, nicotine and even coffee is treated and regulated is all but a few dictated by social standards, mostly from a religious point of view, and less because of science and known ill effects.
    It is really interesting to follow the tide back and forth about marijuana in the USA .
  14. Morvack

Morvack Active Contributor

My views are more pessimistic. I think if pot becomes legal, American society will burn down in a cloud of pot smoke. This is all due to a few simple facts. 1. Pot basically deletes iq points. 2. The first time most people had their first alcoholic drink, it wasn't at 21, it was at 18, or even 16. If people do the same with pot, then we are basically selling our futures brain cells for a pile of tax dollars. 3. This one doesn't have a study, but is more based in human nature. If pot goes legal, a lot of people are going to try it just to see what the big deal is, and get hooked on it. 4. Through genetics, it is going to effect the next generation, making them all more stupid than the one before. We are basically going to devolve into the movie "idiocracy".

You think drug addiction is rampant now? Just wait.

edit: I want to clarify I am speaking out against pot in general, not the addicts. Addicts are people who need help, and should not be blamed for their disease.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  15. Aaron

Aaron Member

I feel that Marijuana being legalized wouldn't do much harm. Look at the "legalized" drug of alcohol and how many lives have been devastated by it. As long as there's drunk drivers on the road, I feel that Marijuana legalization is a lower priority than alcohol related injuries.
  16. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, this is true. Marijuana was outlawed as a result of a smear campaign against it. The reason for that smear campaign was not because marijuana was being used recreationally as a drug. It was because of all the known benefits and uses of marijuana which can make such a significant difference to the world, it became suppressed - just like they don't want you knowing that Melatinin (in bees venom) is capable of curing cancer and AIDS.
  17. rika27

rika27 Member

legalizing marijuana will not do any harm, but it will help the the state out of a very long recession, how much money is spent by the government on irrelevant stuff such as ,weapon productions, funding of many wars, politician scandal cover ups and payouts. I personally think if the federal government was to legalize marijuana, put themselves in a situation where they can profit on a massive scale, they can afford to stop raising gas prices, sales tax, etc yes it will be made taxable and guess what else, they will gain partial control of the war on drugs, and they will be able to climb out of that financial crisis they be talking about, whether they jump on board with the state, people are still gonna sell it, buy it and use it. now as for the users, i feel its their life they can do what they want with it, its nobody place but god to judge if i had to choose i smoke pot any day verse the many many many deadly substance out there today. what's the worst that can happen?? you eat all you kids snacks..:eek::p
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  18. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Well said! And this is yet another way that marijuana can benefit the world. There are so many ways it can change our world for the better that it's just ridiculous.
  19. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

I'm afraid of what the government is going to do with weed in the labs more than anything else. Once they put their hands in it legally, who knows what the outcome is going to be. I don't trust these scientist to be honest.
  20. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I live in an area where Marijuana is now legal and it is everywhere. I am tired of walking down the road and having to smell it. Like alcohol and tobacco , it is still bad for you whether it is legal or not. At least with illegal substances, some people have fear of getting caught and facing legal consequences.