An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana is becoming more accepted everywhere, legal in some places, why worry?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by KC Sunshine, Nov 12, 2014.

1. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Remember that alcohol, a perfectly legal drug, does all this too, plus more. That's not enough to convince them to keep their hands off drink though, is it?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It should. A matter of choice. And most people choose to drink because either the consequences of their actions don't bother them or they focus on the present, the 'pleasure' they obtain at the moment they are using the drug and forget that the sum of what they do [over a long period of time] will catch up with them eventually.
  3. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

It really does seem like marijuana has so many more pros compared to the cons of it. I mean I can't even really think about cons besides the fact that right now it's not legal and that there are a lot of people who are somehow convinced that it's this dangerous and horrible and life ruining drug.
  4. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

So far it has helped the government regulate the marijuana market more than the war on drugs. I'm all for legalization but keeping it over 21!
  5. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

The cons of marijuana have never really been proven through scientific studides that I know of, the only thing they ever find is that marijuana MAY do this and MAY do that, which is not really a solid causation effect. And medecine always have an alarming amount of possible side-effects; I'd consider weed looks like it has more of it.

I think that it should be legalized. The people whose life get the most screwed up by marijuana are those who are arrested for possession, not those who smoke it in Netherlands peacefully. Limit the age of consumption, no weed before 18, and make sure people know the potential dangers when they are in school. Should be more than enough.
  6. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Even worse than that is when you know when it's bad but you do it anyway. That is the mental rockbottom in my mind.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Marijuana, when taken in moderation doesn't cause anything that's severely harmful to you and other people, so the same goes for drinking, so that's the reason they legalized it. The harm really depends on the personality of the person taking it.
  8. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

What is legal is what the government has control over and also what they can make the corporations benefit from. Tobacco has long been legal due to the fact that the government could get money from the makers of cigarettes and they had control over the growing of tobacco. Marijuana is now being made legal because of the years of talking up about why it should be made illegal while not being classified as a hard drug.
  9. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Legalizing marijuana will set a bed precedent and soon enough we'll have a flurry of requests to do the same to other more dangerous drugs. We all(presumably) know the side effects of marijuana and there's no need for us to bury our heads in the sand and pretend that we don't know about them.
  10. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

I find myself on the fence with this one. I know with my friend who loves marijuana, the idea of it becoming more acceptable/legal makes him quite joyous. However, he isn't someone I would consider to be a continuous user of marijuana because he doesn't smoke it all the time. I also known a woman about 10 years ago who dabble in cocaine and heroin for a minute but quit so easily. She claimed not to have an addictive personality and perhaps she was right in her case. She never develop an addiction to the drugs. It think it varies from person to person.
  11. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

There is no reason to worry. Even if we assumed for argument sake that weed was a hard drug, it doesn't matter. We've seen what happens when a country makes booze illegal or legalizes pot, it makes no difference. People will use drugs whether they're legal or not. If that weren't true, there wouldn't be anyone in jail for drugs as nobody would use them.

People use drugs anyways, there's no need to lock innocent people in jail. I see people here who seem to be "worried" about having to simply see people indulge in the drug. Who cares? If anything, I'd rather have to walk down the street and smell weed smoke than curry or some other fart-smelling food. In my experience, organized crime (which is reduced when legal services sell what they were selling) is much more worrisome than a little smell. Smells don't shoot people, gangs and drug dealers do.