An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana is it addictive or not?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Joethefirst, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There are people that believe that it is and others don't. All the people that I know that consume are addicted and do have side effects if they don't have it. I had a friend of mine that after she gave it up told me that she felt addicted to it.
    I personally think of it as a addictive drug, but I am aware that if taken properly for medical purposes it might not be. What do you think is marijuana addictive?
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I think it is addictive. What we need to understand is that anything can be addictive when you depend on it like air you breathe in. Even for medical purposes, it could become addictive. If people could be addicted to prescription drugs, they certainly could get addicted to marijuana because it makes them feel good and better.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Physical addiction has not been proven, so I'd say no. But it definitely creates a psychological dependence, and the mind so quite powerful, so I am not surprised some addicts experience ''withdrawal'' symptoms. Your mind can even mimic physical symptoms as well, ever heard about pseudocyesis? Yep, all the symptoms of pregnancy but no pregnancy at all. It's the power of mind and suggestion.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Personally I would say no. I haven't smoked in a while and don't have any withdraws or cravings at all. Still it could be different with with each person. I think it's because of a healthy diet that I don't have a lot of cravings, and that marijuana is not a strong drug. From my experience it's not.
  5. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

It can be addictive, just like coffee or alcohol. Most people is addicted to coffee of course its not nearly comparable as alcohol addiction, so we all try to not get addicted to it. I think with marijuana you're safe as long as you do it only in a recreational or social way just like normal people use alcohol. Once you start rely on it to face your day to day situation, you got a problem.
  6. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

It can be addictive to some people while to others is repels. I remember when I tried my first two sessions of marijuana with a couple of friends. The first time was ok but I did not like it after the second time. It just wasn't for me and thank gosh I stopped!
  7. Joethefirst

People that are long term marijuana smokers do have withdrawal symptoms if they try to quit cold turkey. I think it comes down to the person, there are people that are occasional tobacco smokers and alcohol drinkers that never develop withdrawal symptoms just like occasional marijuana smokers don't . It's mostly the people that abuse these substances that develop withdrawal symptoms.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Depending on the perspective you look at it from, marijuana might be or might not be addictive.

Is it physically addictive? No.

Is it psychologically addictive? Yes.

What most experts agree on though is that it is less addictive than many other drugs. Less addictive does imply that the drug actually is addictive.

And oh, addictive or not it has numerous negative side effects. This is why anyone who isn't using it as medicine should be abusing the drug.
    MrsJones likes this.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

Anything can be addictive if you do it long enough. It's true that some things are more addictive than others, but that really depends on the person. If you don't want to get addicted to something, don't do it every day.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I do not personally think it is addictive because I was able to just wake up one morning and say that I was not going to smoke it anymore. I smoked it all of the time in high school many years ago and do not remember ever going through withdrawl or anything when I quit. I ended up quitting because I needed to get a job.
  11. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I know of lots of marijuana users who were able to stop when they wish to without any withdrawal problem and there many others who are just occasional smokers. Some people have been forced to stop because of job requirement and they were able to do so without any abnormal effects. I believe the addictive label that some people attach to marijuana usage is unwarranted.
    MsLucy likes this.
  12. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Marijuana is not physically addicting. Anyone that becomes addicted to marijuana is due to a mental hangup. I would say the majority of pot users can stop using it and not suffer any physical withdrawal symptoms. The vast majority of pot users I know could stop today and it wouldn't be much of a problem.
  13. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I do believe marijuana is addictive. For me it's more of an "Out of sight, out of mind" situation. But, I do understand that for others it is much like my addiction to cocaine. If you crave it, have a feeling of need towards it, will do anything to get it, & indulge very often you are addicted. Yes, it is very addictive. Although very addictive, It is easy to quit. For many at least.
  14. TryHard

TryHard Member

I don't that its chemically addictive, but anything that causes the body to react a different reaction. Chocolate is addictive, sleep is addictive, food is addictive.

Pretty much ANYTHING you enjoy has the potential to e addictive, so technically yes. I dont think it has the chemical dependency level as harder drugs/alcohol,
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

So far all of my high school buddies that smoked it are still hooked on it. they have grown a dependency for it for multitude of reasons. Some say it enhances them sexually and others for pain and relaxation. They say doing these things is not the same is boring without it.
  16. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Yes, it can be addictive. You can grow a strong like for it and you will feel down if you don't have it.
  17. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

Like many have said, weed can be psychologically addictive to some individuals. Those with addictive personalities can become addicted to anything! An addiction is something that you cannot easily stop doing. Stopping may cause physical or just emotional withdrawal symptoms. For some of us it is better to avoid all mind altering substances!
  18. Joethefirst

Not everyone reacts to the same substance or lack there of in the same way. Something as common as sugar or coffee can have very strange withdrawal symptoms in different people. Some people won't have a problem not having it while others will become angry and upset because they don't have it.
    MsLucy likes this.
  19. Villiam

Villiam Member

My opinion is that anything can be addicting. However some things possess more addictive qualities than others. I would not say that marijuana in essence is going to get you addicted like smoking cigarettes would.
  20. DPowerz

DPowerz Member

Marijuana is dangerous! Because of it's ability to become addictive so subtly, because of how easily it can become an everyday thing. I've wrestled with my inability to stop smoking a few times, not because I was addicted but because I didn't want to stop. It can be very seductive. Especially if you began doing it in a romantic situation. Every time I smoked it took me back, becoming reminiscent of a lot of pleasurable situations from the past.