An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana is it addictive or not?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Joethefirst, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Pamphleteer

Pamphleteer Member

This is a very tricky question to answer. Marijuana is not addicting for most people, however depending on your emotional/psychological state it can very easily become a crutch used to escape reality. That is where the real danger can come in, physically, mentally, and monetarily. I have used it recreationally in the past but I never felt as if I were dependent on it. So it really depends on the person!
  2. rjs5248

rjs5248 Member

Yes. In order for something to be considered "addictive" it must release certain chemicals in your brain, specifically dopamine. This is why the term "anything can be addicting" is incorrect, because not every activity or substance will produce this in your body. Marijuana does produce this chemical in your brain, so yes, it is considered to be addictive.

Does this mean that everyone who smokes will become addicted? No. But it is possible.
  3. ConorMcGregor

ConorMcGregor Member

I don't think it's addictive in the way a heroin user needs heroin, or people who use abuse certain pills can do crazy things when needing a high. I do believe marijuana is very psychologically addictive and habit forming. I think it's very easy to fill voids and boredom in our lives with getting high (that really goes for any drug.) South Park had an episode on it and they said it best. Basically it's simple to sit home and get high instead of getting out learning & experiencing things while growing up, and that's bad! :D
  4. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I personally think that yes, it is addictive if you want it to be addictive, if you smoke it for fun it's all right, it turns serious when you start doing it for need and there comes the bad things and the addiction, you should just try not to smoke way too much so you do not get addicted to it, that is it.
  5. Noreht

Noreht Active Contributor

As someone who has been addicted to weed, I can state that yes it is addictive, I have not used in almost a year, but I still crave it, so I am still addicted and will probably be for the rest of my life. I just choose not to act on my addiction. THere are people that are strong enough to use weed recreationally just like there are people that use alcohol recreationally, but at the end of the day they are both addictive substances. If just one person gets addicted to a substance it is addictive in my opinion.
  6. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There parallels between alcohol and marijuana are very difficult to ignore. I think it really comes down to the person. Tobacco is considered addictive yet there are people that just don't get addicted to it.
  7. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

It might create a psychological dependence because it makes you all happy and fun, I don't think of it as an extreme thing though. I've been away from it for months, apart from the occasional craving, there isn't an issue.
  8. Noreht

@puneeth8994 I never used it for the "happy and fun" feeling. I usually just zone out and get very lazy. This actually made me depressed as I was not achieving anything, but I still could not stop smoking. This is the addiction of course. If you still crave it, it proves that it is an addictive substance. You might be strong enough to fight the addiction, but it still does not mean that the substance is non-addictive.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Marijuana is classified as a psychoactive drug. In academic parlance, any drug that disrupts a person's thought processes belongs to this category. Psychoactive drugs are highly addictive because of their effects. However, addiction levels vary depending on the innate level of resiliency.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

No, I don't think weed is addictive since I have smoked weed before and I didn't really crave for it. I don't have an addictive personality as well, so that might be the reason I didn't get hooked on it.
  11. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Yes, Marijuana is very addictive. In fact, it is one of the most addictive drugs out there. Many of my friends are able to get rid of other drugs except this one. This proves that this drug is much more addictive than other ones. People can leave cigars but leaving this one may be hard. Well, I believe that one can leave the drug with strong will-power.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Anything can be addictive and marijuana is proven to be addicted as many have been addicted to it already. I think in terms of medical use, they should really be control and monitoring to make sure it will serves its purpose and the patient will not be addicted and dependent on it.
  13. Noreht

The issue with medical use is that it is not being correctly used in medicine. Just smoking weed is not medicinal. For THC to truly work for cancer patients for instance it should be properly extracted and taken undiluted. You waste a lot of the medicinal properties by smoking.
  14. Joethefirst

There are only a handful of illnesses that marijuana should be smoked. The majority of the cases marijuana shouldn't. Unfortunately it's still one of the more popular ways to consume it.
  15. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Actually I don't believe you are correct. It can be physically addictive.
  16. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I would say marijuana is very addictive. I have tried multiple times to quit the stupid drug, and every time I always come back for more.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right, smoking it is not using it for a medical purpose as I believe that anything being smoked is dangerous due to the burning process. Not sure how marijuana should be used for medical purposes as I have not really read proven details about it. But surely it should be really controlled and supervised.
  18. Joethefirst

Like any addictive substance some people become more addicted then others. Hang in there I'm sure you will be able to overcome your addiction sooner or later.
  19. Noreht

You get various oils that can be used in food, but the most popular and for many people most effective way is using it in butter. This allows you to make baked good as well as it it with your morning sandwich. I will not state that it will cure cancer, but I do know that when you are undergoing chemo the weed helps you to keep an appetite and not get as nauseas as you usually would. This leads to the body being stronger due to the nutrition and helps the body to fight of the cancer.