An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana Legalization For All States?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Liv6, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Liv6

Liv6 Member

Considering the benefits that taxing the drug has brought to Colorado, especially in the area of education, do you believe that marijuana should be legalized and taxed for all states? Or would the potential repercussions outweigh the benefits? Do you believe that this will lead to the decriminalization of other drugs?
  2. Sevrin

Sevrin Member

Well all things considered, I don't think it's a bad thing for marijuana to be legalized. I have no love for it, or cigarettes, or alcohol, but from the articles I've read it's not as bad as cocaine or meth and as long as we have proper restrictive laws like we do on nicotine and alcohol, I don't see a problem. However I'm not quite fully informed, and there may be problems or repercussions I'm unaware of.
  3. Liv6

Liv6 Member

I have only tried it once, and the worst thing about it is that when you're on it, you're so unproductive. I feel as though it might lead to a more unproductive society as a whole, but it's definitely not one of the more dangerous drugs health-wise. I know it destroys your teeth and doesn't help your lungs, but I haven't heard of any other negative issues resulting from its usage. I just admire what the taxes are going towards right now.
  4. controlled77

controlled77 Member

Marijuana should be legalized everywhere else people who crave for it will consume them illegally which can be pretty dangerous for them. I am from India where marijuana is illegeal and strictly phohibited still people consume them on a daily basis to quite an extent which turns out to be problematic.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Marijuana should be legal, alcohol is. In DC. where I'm from Marijuana is legal, in most other states it's decriminalized. Alcohol can be just as if not more impairing as marijuana, but it's sold and taxed. There have been cases of people committing more violent crimes, and causing accidents from alcohol use. If alcohol can be sold and taxed, why shouldn't marijuana?
  6. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Yes.
    We can debate all night and day about the pros and cons.
    I am personally against the stuff, I no longer touch it and I refuse to be friends with people that do it and I will not be around it.
    BUT, there is just overwhelming evidence that keeping it illegal does not work. It only empowers criminals.
    If we make it legal then we can start proper education programs about it and use the tax $$ for good.
    Liv6 likes this.