An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by MrAmazingMan1, Aug 10, 2015.

1. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

What do you guys think? I think it would do wonders to the jail system in the US, as there a tons of potheads in jail just for having pot. A guarantee about 20% or more of people in jail are in for pot. If pot was legalized across the states the jail system would be freed up allowing more space in the jails, and more funding to the government. However I believe that DUI of pot will increase, causing more danger on the roads. This puts the potheads right back in jail. Thoughts?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Well, simply possessing marijuana is one thing but driving a vehicle when you're in no fit state to do so is quite another. Look at it like alcohol, it is perfectly legal but driving a car whilst there is too much of it in your bloodstream is unsafe and illegal.

I agree that people definitely shouldn't be in jail for simple possession but deliberately putting people's lives at risk deserves imprisonment.
  3. MrAmazingMan1

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. But then that raises the question, is it more efficient to legalize pot, or to make possession not have extended prison time?
    missbishi likes this.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'd say it would be more effective to legalize possession of small amounts. It would free up much more police hours, giving them the time and the budget to get on with catching the real criminals. Prisons would be less crowded and have more money to spend on rehabilitational programs which might help reduce reoffending rates. Plus, the police would probably benefit from the increased tax revenue legalization would bring.

In fact, all public services would benefit from this, including schools and healthcare. This means more social problems could be adressed. Including the social problems which lead to people misusing drugs and alcohol in the first place.

Hmm, maybe I'll run for Prime Minister...
    MrAmazingMan1 likes this.
  5. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

You need to realize that the issue is not the well being of the people. The legalization of Marijuana is a huge economic gamble which will most likely hurt the economy in the short run. The short run is what most politicians care about because the short run is how most of them make their money. Two major industries will take a direct hit while a third will take an indirect hit more into the future if it is legalized. Pharmaceutical companies will take huge amounts of loss when they are hit by the increase use of cannabis for medicinal use. The jail system will lose funding if they do not produce individuals that need to be conatined (Most being private prisons). The third consists of fabric companies since hemp is known to be extremely suitable for clothing and comfort in relation to its cheap price.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think you need to take a look at Colorado as it is 8 months into it recreation Marijuana usage. I would suspect there would be less Marijuana offenses committed and fewer illegal selling on street corners. But time will tell and the numbers that come out after the fiscal year, will set the standards as to where the other states will follow suite.
  7. MrAmazingMan1

It seems like you have a better idea then most politicians nowadays... Go for it! xD
  8. MrAmazingMan1

you have to recognize that the jail system is overcrowded. What they NEED is less population of potheads. If pot were to be legalized it would only trim the amount of criminals in the prison system.
  9. MrAmazingMan1

Now that I think about it that is probably what is happening. Most states are border lining legalizing pot, but are waiting on Colorado, and other states that have legalized it, benefits, and possibly negatives. This will probably determine the nationwide affect.
  10. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I think that if they did make it legal, they would have to be very clear with the rules regarding use, possession, and driving whilst under the influence. There are many things that need to be thought about before any kinds of laws are overturned, and this is probably why it has taken so long - because it is such a taboo, and something that would cause a lot of trouble no matter what was decided upon. I think that it should remain illegal, personally, as I have seen far too many people struggle with addiction to even contemplate making any drug legal in any country.
  11. MrAmazingMan1

Very true, there are definite risks if legalization were to become nationwide
  12. chaynemayne

chaynemayne Member

Legalization is a hard concept. I can certainly see why weed should be legalized; there are medical benefits and economical benefits. Personally, however, I can also see the danger in legalizing weed. I believe our country is becoming far too progressive. My life is based in the faith and, of course, faith based living is rooted in old fashion concepts. The world is an ugly place whenever people try to live and make decisions on their own. I wish more people were old fashioned and desired a way of life that was more simple. Instead, today most people are money hungry and hungry for any kind of high.
  13. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I have no objections to legalizing marijuana. Some people are worried about it being easier to obtain for minors, it's already easily available and I'd rather not have teenagers dealing with drug dealers that could also be selling hard drugs.

Alcohol is legal and it's way worse than pot. It's effects are much stronger and it causes a lot of health problems. But, I won't go into all that because we all already know about it.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I was reading about a very sad case... an afro american man father of 5 was jailed cause the police found on him the equivalent to 2 joint of weed on hi. He has been locked for several years now, all because of that! I think jail should be only for those who are doing something really wrong. those local pot heads are not really harming anyone.
  15. Most people that talk about weed legalisation, and the maintaining of the illegal status are clueless as to why it is illegal in the first place. Most speak from an emotional point of view, lacking basic facts. Some use an outlier experience they had with a weed user as the basis of their decision. Heck, some don't even have any side they are on. They'll say legalise it today, then keep it illegal the following day. Personally, I think weed is no worse than alcohol not better. Let it be legalised and moderated.
  16. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Eventually most States will legalize marijuana.

I don't support the legalization of marijuana for recreational use though because most people will be tempted to use marijuana and other drugs [alcohol for example]. And when they do I think that we'll see a spike in crimes because when people use weed then drink alcohol they get to be extremely violent.