An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana Legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by kgord, Feb 1, 2016.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It seems more and more states are considering the legalization of marijuana, at least for medical purposes. What do you think would happen if marijuana became legal in your state? What would the net effect be? As long as it was fairly strictly controlled, I wouldn;t necessarily have a problem with it. God knows, states need the revenue.
  2. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

It might seem odd, but I'd be happier to see opiates legalized sooner than I would cannabis. I have a bias that sees marijuana as a fairly problematic drug, and I don't like the way that the legalization movement is going. No doubt it'll happen over here in the UK too, but I just think the long-term effects of weed use is not good. YMMV, obviously.
  3. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

And you don't see opiates and opioids as problematic drugs? What is your reasoning behind viewing cannabis as more problematic than opiates and opioids?
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not live in the US.
    If ever marijuana will be legalized here in our country, I think it will just encourage more people use it even in the public just like cigarettes. and alcohol The government will find it hard to control the use of it.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The legalization of medical marijuana wouldn't be fine because theoretically only those who need marijuana can get it. However I'm against the legalization of recreational marijuana because the moment teens have easy access to eat and there are all these myths about marijuana being circulated lots of young people will start using marijuana and taking into account how marijuana affects the brains of teenagers this won't be good for all communities.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think it is working reasonably well in Colorado. I think ideally medical marijuana should be legalized and recreational marijuana decriminalized. I think some revenue should be collected by the states, and it should be legal for adults to use in small quanitities like in cafes, the way some of the other countries in the world have it..It seems to work well in Canada.
  7. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Of course I see opiates as problematic, but it's the dichotomy of "safe drug" i.e marijuana vs "bad drug" i.e morphine which causes a kind of cognitive dissonance among the general public. For low-information consumers, they'll see cannabis as being legal, and not grasp the risk profile associated with its use.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

In my state it's not legal just decriminalized. I really don't see much of a difference accept less paranoia about using it.
    If it had become legal here then revenue would come that's when you would notice a difference. I don't think our state would need to give out expensive tickets and have all these traffic cameras if they had this type of extra revenue coming in. Of course I think it should be under the same restriction as alcohol. Anything that can intoxicate you should be used responsibly.
  9. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Marijuana is consumed whether people like it or not. If it's legalized it simply means that it can be better controlled.
  10. 6up

6up Community Champion

I don't want it to be legalised in my state. Even though the state needs the revenue marijuana should be completely banned because of many health issues. Medical marijuana should be produced only by the state and not private companies. States will regret later for legalising marijuana.
  11. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I think it will happen eventually, only a matter of time.
  12. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I agree and a bit confused but we all are entitled to our own opinion. I am also curious to see the reasoning behind this. What are the benefits of opiods in comparison to medical marijuana. I think the legalization may be the best idea yet.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I am in favor of medical marijuana. I also support cultivation of hemp plant (the plant that produces marijuana) because it produces good quality fiber. However, I don't support marijuana as a recreational drug.
  14. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

Medical marijuana might help a lot of patients, and being legalized for recreational use will bring pros and cons. Legalization means that the black market will take a hit, thus helping in the fight against the drug dealers. Nobody would buy from a sketchy dealer when they can get what they want safely and legally from a marijuana shop. The main con is that many people will abuse it and might eventually become addicted to the substance, but I think that this is happening nowadays too, even if it's not legal in too many states.
  15. melody

melody Active Contributor

Ohio is going to legalize this year, probably. It failed last year, but not because people did not want it legalized. The people had a problem with the monopoly that the companies were setting up. Now, it will come back to the ballot with revisions that should make it more suitable to the smart Ohio consumers who said NO!
  16. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Why don't you support regulating cannabis for recreational purposes?
  17. Kellyh33

Kellyh33 Member

I am in favor of complete legalization of marijuana, for medical and recreational use. Studies have shown that marijuana helps with so many different health issues from cancer to anxiety. It's been proven to aid in pain relief without the dangerous side effects of opiates. It has helped children who have spent their lives battling debilitating seizures and has also had positive effects for cancer and AIDS patients. As far as recreational use, the amount of money that would come from taxes and what not can be used to help in so many different areas. The money could go to improving schools, roads and parks. The possibilities are almost endless. Farmers could grow hemp to be used in clothing and paper products. In my opinion, the benefits of legalizing this substance far out way any associated with keeping it illegal.