An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana & Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by irishrose, Oct 29, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

When people say that they do not mind others smoking marijuana because it "doesn't hurt anyone," it irks me a little bit. Marijuana does harm people, especially the babies of pregnant women.

In the first place, marijuana can lead to reproduction problems in men and women. For example, smoking marijuana can cause reduced fertility in men due to less seminal fluid, lower sperm count, and abnormal sperm. The reproductive risks for women who smoke marijuana include difficulty conceiving.

If a woman does become pregnant and continues smoking marijuana, THC can cross the placenta and affect the baby. This means that the baby is affected by any amount of THC entering the mother's system. Even breathing in second hand marijuana smoke passively is known to alter the state of the baby. And of course, any smoking during pregnancy is harmful due to a decrease in available oxygen.

What are the long term effects that smoking marijuana has during pregnancy? By age 3 to 4, research shows that children of marijuana-smoking mother's "have poorer verbal, memory and reasoning ability; poorer motor skills and shorter length of play; and are more likely to be fearful, impulsive, inattentive, hyperactive and delinquent." (- See more at: http://learnaboutmarijuanawa.org/factsheets/reproduction.htm#.dpuf) Furthermore, smoking marijuana while pregnant can even increase the risk of the child getting certain cancers. Of course, these things do not happen to all children of women who smoke marijuana, however, why would you knowingly risk any of these ailments on an innocent child?

Here is my source for this info. Notice, it is all based on scientific research studies cited at the bottom of the page. See more at: http://learnaboutmarijuanawa.org/factsheets/reproduction.htm#.dpuf.

Next time you think marijuana doesn't hurt anyone, think again...
    xTinx and Rainman like this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Using any drugs while pregnant is not only irresponsible but selfish. Expectant women who wanted to have a kid should stop using drugs when they get pregnant because everything they consume will be passed on to the fetus. If all drugs are harmful to adults how much worse will they be to the fetus?

Mothers must be willing to make sacrifices to ensure that the baby that is born is healthy. If they don't want to stop using drugs, they should at least stop using drugs from the time of conception until the time the baby no longer needs breast milk.
  3. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, in my opinion, any woman caught doing anything that could harm her baby should be put in jail. Why? Because she knows very well that what she's doing harms the baby, but still goes ahead and do it.
  4. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

The use of marijuana like any other drug during pregnancy can harm the developing baby and result in various birth defects and even still birth. Pregnant women have a responsibility of not using marijuana or any other harmful substance.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

If I am a smoker (I've been nicotine free for 8 years by the way) and I found out that I am pregnant, I would stop immediately. And I will stay away from alcohol. I would even give up coffee. I wouldn't do anything or take something that will jeopardize the growth of my baby inside my womb.
  6. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I do not agree with smoking marijuana during pregnancy. Doing any kind of drugs during pregnancy is terrible of course. The problem with marijuana is so many people are walking around saying that it is ok. When I was pregnant with my oldest I quit smoking weed. I was always asked why I quit, and told that it is ok to smoke marijuana when pregnant and that they did it. Alot of people seem to think that's its okay, and its not. It is never ok to do drugs during pregnancy. I quit drugs when I get pregnant, because I wanted the best for my child. I understand needing help. Being addicted is the hardest thing, but don't be selfish and continue to use drugs.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Or indeed the moment at which it is born as not every mother can or wants to breast feed.
    Rainman likes this.
  8. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I remember seeing a great video, I wish I could find it.
    Essentially they have figured out that when you smoke weed and get high, your sperm also gets high!
    It showed how when your sperm was high it had difficulty fertilizing the egg.
    I kid you not too, this was a science video.
    Will post of I can find it.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Smoking of any kind, drug use, and alcohol all have a negative impact on pregnancy. When a woman is pregnant, she is developing a bay inside her and anything that gets in the way of that development should be avoided at all costs.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that using or taking anything while pregnant can affect the baby. So better for pregnant women to be cautious of what they are taking as it can affect their babies. There should be proper consultation even for medications.
  11. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Of course it has to have an effect on the fetus, if tobacco and alcohol do why wouldn't marijuana? Any drug consumed during pregnancy will have an effect on the unborn baby. In the case of men marijuana decreases the size of the testicles so the quantity of semen is much less not to mention the quality of the sperm.
  12. L_B

L_B Community Champion

When a person is pregnant they should not be doing any type of drugs, drinking or smoking cigarettes. They should be taking care of themselves and their baby. Everything they choose to do affects the unborn child. That baby has no control of what the mother does so that mother needs to put the baby's health and well being a head of everything else. That little baby deserves to be healthy and not end up suffering for the rest of its life because of something his selfish mother decided to do while pregnant. This angers me to no end!!
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Thank you for the facts. I guess people really need scientific evidence and loads of jargon to snap out of their marijuana bias. The thing about that drug is that it looks harmful on the surface but little do people know, it's slowly and softly killing them - especially when used for recreational purposes. Sans the facts you presented, many people know that the substance is addictive. Once addiction sets in, it's difficult to shake off without a firm resolve.
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Thanks so much for sharing this! I hate when people don't take into account the value of the life inside them. Especially people that smoke cigarettes while pregnant. And yes even marijuana can harm the baby. It not only makes them have the same effect of high as the mother, the smoke affects their lungs. It causes brown tar to build up in the lungs and once you start smoking you'll notice it because you'll be coughing it up all the time.