New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana stinks

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Rosyrain, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I live in one of the state's that has now legalized marijuana and I am so sick of smelling it that I could scream. It has that nasty sour smell and is very potent. I used to smoke it a lot back when I was younger, but now it smells so horrid to me that I do not want to be anywhere near it. Great deterrent I would say!
    Debrina likes this.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Oh it does. I live in an apartment building and there are people across the hall from me who smoke it every day. It is nasty. It comes right underneath my door. I try to keep towels along it to keep the smell out but as soon as you open the door it makes you gag. It is terrible stuff.
  3. dkelly

dkelly Active Contributor

I know right?! I just don't get it. It smells disgusting and I hate the aroma with a burning passion. What's so great about losing control on some noxious smelling weeds? I know I am sick to my stomach of the stupid scent.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Do people smoke it on streets, like they would do with tobacco cigarettes? Because if the smells comes from your neighbors or people that you can't avoid, you can ask them to stop it, and if they don't, you can always make a complaint. I can relate to you, as I can't stand being around smokers as well, the smell is very irritating. But it can be solved with a bit of diplomacy.
  5. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

LOL I was laughing with one of my friends a few weeks ago about the smell. I live in New York City, and even though pot is illegal here (for now...inching toward legalization), there is ALWAYS some point during the day where you walk by some building, or a car drives by, and the smell is STRONG. In fact it happened to me today, a group of folks passed me by and someone was REEKING of the stuff. I was wondering to myself "how on earth do you expect to get through the day without getting arrested??"

...the other part of me tends to go "Damn, can I get some!" ;)
  6. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I agree. I hate the smell of marijuana. Many members of my family smoke it regularily and I can smell it whenever I am around them. They don't need to be smoking it, the smell sticks to them.
    The worst part about it is when people who live in my building smoke it, it makes the whole hallway stink. I hate it because I have children and I don't want them being exposed to the smell. I have asked them to please open a window when they are smoking so that it doesn't stink up the whole building, but either they have not done that or it didn't make any difference.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never tried using marijuana before, and I also don't have any plan of using it in the future. And I agree, its smell is really awful. I couldn't take it as well. Anyway, if it has gotten worse, I think you should already move out of that neighborhood.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I actually have to admit that I love the smell of marijuana, although it is indeed very potent these days. There are times when I walk past someone in the street and they absolutely reek of the stuff even though they aren't even smoking at the time. That's how strong a smell it is. You know they smoke weed just by having them walk past you! Years ago, when I was a big weed smoker, it was mainly resin which didn't smell too bad but these days we have skunk and super skunk types of bud along with cross strains and suchlike. It's totally different stuff these days and is much more potent. I do, however, find the smell quite pleasant.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Marijuana certainly as a distinctive smell, and I think the people that do smoke it must realise that it's obvious to others what they're doing.

In the UK it's often smoked openly in the streets and even though it's officially illegal still, nothing seems to be done.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It's been a long time since I smoked weed that I forgot how it smelled like. Maybe because I was the one smoking it, so my nose was kinda immune to it. I feel sorry for you though, it seems like you are bothered by the smell, lol.
  11. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I'm not a marijuana smoker, but I've had the opportunity of smelling other people smoking marijuana as a college student and later as a grownup, and I have to honestly say that I kind of liked the smell. Not like in great quantities, but in passing it's somewhat enjoyable. If it's in great quantities or if it's in someone's house that smokes a lot, it really stinks to me.
  12. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I'm not a marijuana smoker, but I've had the opportunity of smelling other people smoking marijuana as a college student and later as a grownup, and I have to honestly say that I kind of liked the smell. Not like in great quantities, but in passing it's somewhat enjoyable. If it's in great quantities or if it's in someone's house that smokes a lot, it really stinks to me.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I used to smoke cannabis in the past and while I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a nice smell, there's a lot worse around.

I think people don't like the smell because they instantly know what it is and so it's as if they're not allowed to say they like it, even if they do.
  14. henry

henry Community Champion

Not me, I always liked the smell of marijuana. It doesn't really smell good or anything like that, but it's got something in the scent that makes you want to smoke it. The first thing I used to do when I got new weed, was to smell it. The stronger it smelled, the better you thought the weed was. That wasn't always the case, though.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There's a place here where people who smoke "marijuana" hang out. It's way out of town and they prefer to smoke it there because since it isn't as yet legal, they could get themselves in trouble. There are some like me who spend sometime in this place too because it's beautiful and quiet but all that marijuana smoke transforms into something entirely different. The fact that I'm inhaling second hand smoke does gall me.
  16. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Oh, yeah, passive marijuana smoking is quite of a harsh thing to deal with, especially if you don't enjoy it. It's got that distinctive sour smell like you're saying. I've never smoked pot except once at a friend's house, and must say that didn't really like it. I have the same opinion now, and whenever I get that damned smell into my nose... oh, my God!
  17. KingEeyore

KingEeyore Member

It's definitely a potent plant. I am an occasional marijuana user, but I make sure I respect other people first and foremost. I only partake at night at my home. I do not have any neighbors nearby, so it makes it easy for me. If I was out in public and encountered someone smoking marijuana and not respecting others, I would say something to them just as I would speak to a cigarette smoker that isn't respecting other people air. It's important to allow adults to have freedom of choice, but it's equally or even more important to respect the rights of others.
  18. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I have a friend that smokes it and I remember greeting her shortly after she had smoked it. I could tell that she had because her eyes were blood shot and the smell was so intense that it got stuck in my nostrils and only went away fifteen minutes later. It isn't by any sense a nice smell.
  19. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I find both tobacco and marijuana have a strong an offensive odor.
  20. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

It does smell bad, sadly this is not the worst part of it. The damage it can cause to our health is even worse than its odor.